Forums Latest Members

As a new member I find this incredibly frustrating

1. Wryfox Apr 4, 2017

I don't know where anyone lives.

I would LOVE to know where people are located. Only been on here a couple weeks but sometimes I lose critical context of a message because it is from someone who is from an utterly different environment. I consider myself fairly savy..I've done international business for many years, but knowing where someone is from gives a bit of color and understanding to what they are saying.

Just my $0.02 from a newbie.

2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 4, 2017

3. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Apr 4, 2017

Looking at your avitar you should have access to some pretty good scanners, a universal translator and a transporter.....

4. Wryfox Apr 4, 2017

I think my point is missed. Most discussion boards (in fact, I can only think of this one as the exception), allow you to post your location in your profile so it displays when you post (just like your Username or Avatar). Voluntary of course, and most do so, but Omega forums doesn't have that as an option.

pdw1, michael22, Kmart and 1 other person like this.
  5. OMGRLX a RolexBear in disguise Apr 4, 2017

That's a good point. TRF has that.

pdw1, watchknut and Rodmar like this.
  6. Wryfox Apr 4, 2017

You ever notice that even when those items are used, it never seems to give them the information they need to get out of trouble.....::facepalm1::

pdw1, Kmart, Fritz and 3 others like this.
  7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 4, 2017

As this forum is based in Remulak, inter-planetary rules prevent us from listing Earth localities in posting headings.
    Please take this up with your Earth representative.
    upload_2017-4-4_11-41-41.jpeg

Garv, Dre, pdw1 and 18 others like this.
  8. Davidt Apr 4, 2017

You get to know where where regular members live from sticking around.

To confirm, I mean what country they're in, not the hiding in the bushes type of detail!

9. Wryfox Apr 4, 2017

So this is nice, starting to get an idea of current members locations.....apparently some are in institutions.:taunt:

Greatpa, frazierspa, Omega1 and 4 others like this.
  10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 4, 2017

We actually do have it but its intentionally disabled. Its not something we'll be enabling publicly any time soon but we've discussed some potential alternative arrangements fill a similar role while maintaining privacy.

pdw1 and eugeneandresson like this.
  11. OMGRLX a RolexBear in disguise Apr 4, 2017

If you're a watch collector, by definition you belong in an institution. ;)

efauser, pdw1, Mad Dog and 7 others like this.
  12. Wryfox Apr 4, 2017

All in good time, sir.

13. Wryfox Apr 4, 2017

Don't understand the privacy issue if it were voluntary. This is a universal feature of discussion boards.

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 4, 2017

Thankfully you don't need to understand it, and no it isn't a universal feature, some have it enabled and some don't. :)

15. thatonewatchdude Apr 4, 2017

Maybe you could just simply ask these people where they are from yourself, then you shall find the answers you're looking for. Live long and prosper

nonuffinkbloke and kkt like this.
  16. mokofoko One sad panda Apr 4, 2017

Darnit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a private investigator!

nonuffinkbloke, pdw1 and KstateSkier like this.
  17. Wryfox Apr 4, 2017

How delightful life would be if everyone were so direct.

I'm sure there are many hundreds, is not thousands of members here. Asking them is not practical as any of a million combinations of members could reply to any others threads or replies, and understanding the context of their messages would be more "intuitively obvious" if there was a location noted (again, voluntarily). I have received a number of messages asking questions, and the meaning was not clear until I found out where they were from.

Simple to resolve, considering it exists. I'm SURE i'm not the only one who would enjoy this feature.

Again, my $0.02. Over and out.

EDITED:
    So first a thank you to dsio for a message of some challenges experienced. Yes, privacy is a good thing to prevent malicious intents. And not everyone who has nice things is good at protecting them, either.

So bottom line, this board has a very conservative view on personal information(by design) and that is really the answer I was looking for.

Thanks all for your input.

Edited Apr 4, 2017
  18. adi4 Apr 4, 2017

i think it's best just to get to know the folks hanging around and if you're really curious, just ask. I can generally tell where people are from using a combination of avatar images, usernames, and writing style. That's good enough for me, and it doesn't really enrich the conversations I've joined by saying I'm from Númenor. Privacy-wise, the less private details you share online (regardless of how seemingly inconsequential it may seem) the better it is. Not paranoia, just some awareness, whether you're comfortable with it or not.

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  19. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 4, 2017

You can always post your area and try and set up a get together.

Although new members are sometimes not "involved" as often 100's of thousands of dollars worth of watches just sit on tables.

Edited Apr 4, 2017
    nonuffinkbloke and dsio like this.
  20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 4, 2017

This exactly why when there are GTGs we always try to PM the organiser and guide them through some safety information and practices to keep everyone safe.

nonuffinkbloke, TNTwatch, aap and 4 others like this.