Forums Latest Members
  1. greasemonkey Feb 25, 2013

hi all ,just bought a arlea mans swiss made 30 jewel calender automatic cheapie wristwatch to tinker with.it looks like it was made in the sixties and once was quite a nice watch.i have never heard of arlea ,anyone able to help with info on the make.i know these threads are much more interesting with photos but dont have the beast yet,many thanks ..greasemonkkey

2. greasemonkey Mar 18, 2013

obviously not a common watch!.i have stripped since the last post to do a little restoration and found it has a felsa 4007n movement in it.i know it has no great value,but it has a nice rose gold filled case and is starting to look pretty.if i manage to get the movement back together without loosing something i will post a pic when its done..cheers..greasemonkey

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 18, 2013

Hi GM,

If you select any four, five or six letters from the alphabet and jumble them you'll come up with the name of one of these type of watch (it seems).

Felsa was an ebauche manufacturer from the 30s to about 1970 and thousands of their "engines" were cased by various watch "assemblers" in the 40s, 50s and 60s. It appears that Arlea was one of these using a Felsa movement. For a nice look at an Arlea, scroll down here

http://watchrepairandrestoration.blogspot.com.au/2009_10_01_archive.html

Felsa were also the first company to design the first truly bi-directional automatic watch movement (called their BIDYNATOR).

Many of the watches like Arlea were of good quality but the brands seemed to come and go overnight in some cases, but Felsa was also used in some high end watches like Breitling for example.

Nevertheless, they are an interesting item and can provide good experience for the watch tinkerer.

Get that camera out again and lets see some pics.

Cheers

Jim

4. greasemonkey Mar 18, 2013

thanks jim for the information,as said if i can get it back in one bit and running i will get the happy snapper out,cheers..greasemonkey

5. ulackfocus Mar 19, 2013

:p Thanks for the chuckle. It's funny because there's so much truth to it.

6. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Mar 19, 2013

You bet your Arsa.

7. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 19, 2013

let no juvenile provocation go unanswered
    [​IMG]

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 19, 2013

I see you've got the big model :D

9. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Mar 19, 2013

10. ulackfocus Mar 19, 2013

I don't have to even click on that to know it's Sir Mixalot. :p