Forums Latest Members
  1. marcn Enough space to say witty Jan 15, 2017

I'm genuinely interested to know.

I'll start by saying I am absolutely obsessed with punctuality. For me, on time is late and early is on time. I demand it of myself, and I am always aware of it, or its absence, in coworkers.

How about you? Are any of you, with all your interest in watches, chronically late? And if you are, does your S.O. enjoy rubbing your nose in that fact? ;)

Obligatory wrist shot...

IMG_9571.jpg

duc and Mad Dog like this.
  2. Tubber Jan 15, 2017

Lord Nelson said the same thing "I owe all my success in life to having been always a quarter of an hour before my time."

duc, chronos, Mad Dog and 2 others like this.
  3. watchthirst Jan 15, 2017

I'm actually notoriously late and everyone that knows me well enough finds the irony in my obsession over watches in combination with my chronic impunctuality.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 15, 2017

If I wake up on time always but my work means I have extremely odd hours and a terrible sleep schedule so I've literally slept through more than one midday meetings and had to apologize profusely for standing people up due to long AM hour work sessions.

5. Pvt-Public Jan 15, 2017

If you are less than 10 minutes early you are LATE. That is what my father taught my brother and I. IMG_0766.JPG

Edited Jan 15, 2017
    duc, chronos, marcn and 2 others like this.
  6. lillatroll Jan 15, 2017

Being late for anything stresses me out. Especially if catching a flight, bus or train. My wife is much more relaxed about the whole thing which has led to her not speaking to me for most of the flight because I get annoyed with her on many occations.

Deafboy, dougiedude, duc and 4 others like this.
  7. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jan 15, 2017

Nothing to do with vintage watch obsession - I didn't wear a watch for 30 years - but I like to be on time to meetings (which means early) but as I'm sure @lillatrol will testify working in the Middle East is the worst place place for punctuality. My colleagues rock up whenever it suits them. Drives me mad

dougiedude, duc, marcn and 4 others like this.
  8. lillatroll Jan 15, 2017

It is a thousand times worse in Malawi, an hour could be 2 hours or all bloody day, or even tomorrow or the next day. :mad:

9. duc Jan 15, 2017

Rules for my department personnel:

#1 For meetings or conference calls; If you can't be on time, be early.

patrick1616, Mad Dog and Jwit like this.
  10. Willem023 Jan 15, 2017

Haha, I know.
    Coming from the EU some years back and also being brought up with the 'one should always be on time -with the underlying assumption that you show disrespect if you arrive late, I had to get used a lot to the way 'time' is handled in East Africa.
    Meaning: traffic can be so very bad and unpredictable, you can plan anything you want, but still arrive much too late/much too early. In general, people have embraced the 'approx' as well as the general 'easy going' theme a lot over here.
    'We will meet at 14hrs' sometimes means -for them- 'I will leave the house at 14hrs coming to your place'. ::popcorn::

Nowadays I am used to the 'approx' time, although is still itches a lot when a meeting starts an hour late.
    I'd rather be a bit too early than some minutes late. And most of my co-workers and my team knows, so they try to be on time too....:whistling:

My2Ksh

lillatroll likes this.
  11. Willem023 Jan 15, 2017

And on the plus side too: a taxi doesn't charge the first 30 mins of waiting time, giving me the opportunity to finish-off the meeting or lunch.....::stirthepot::

12. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jan 15, 2017

I'm in the "if you're not early you're late" camp, at least with respect to business meetings and social/public events where it would be inconsiderate or an imposition on others to arrive late.

For social & more casual events where such is not a concern, I must admit to sometimes being "elegantly late", especially if said event is not one I'm looking forward to attending.

To be clear... if I am late, it is definitely NOT because my vintage watch is running slow. Though I may have forgot to wind it.

13. Dogmann Jan 15, 2017

Hi all,
    My Father taught me growing up punctuality is the courtesy of kings so even now always aim to arrive 10 minutes before any appointment. There is nothing worse then still being in a car on your way to an appointment and running late IMO.

Marc

14. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jan 15, 2017

Not much more aggravating than waiting for someone who is late...drives me nuts. Put me in the 'early is on time' camp.

Halldawg and Mad Dog like this.
  15. igorneus Jan 15, 2017

Excellent topic! Ironically, I was thinking about starting this discussion just a day or so ago , but you beat me to it.
    As far as myself....always early and, as someone said, getting stressed out when running close to the meeting time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duc, marcn and Mad Dog like this.
  16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 15, 2017

I'm in the early or on time camp.

First job when I left school I would start at 4.00am and the boss would be there at 4.00am on the dot every morning to open up. ( allways said when you start at 4am your never early )

Darlinboy, duc and Mad Dog like this.
  17. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Jan 15, 2017

I am usually on time. I try to be 10-15 minutes early for whatever it is I need. Often times I lose track of time(most likely taking wrist shots) prior to the event and make up the time by driving fast... very fast.

18. Uniqez Jan 15, 2017

I'm trying to be 10-15 minutes earlier, plus I found myself putting my watch 5 minutes ahead of time so I will have that 5 minutes no matter what. However, people that knows me will tell you, if I'm late I mean to be that way.
    P.S. My punctuality drives my employees nuts, especially when I'm wearing chronograph and I can tell them how long they are late for(exact time).

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

heavenscloud, Jwit, duc and 1 other person like this.
  19. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Jan 15, 2017

If I'm late for work, people that pay good money for scheduled passenger service are let down...and I'll get fired. :thumbsdown:

I like my passengers and my job...therefore, I make every attempt to be at work early. :thumbsup:

My Hamilton 992 railroad grade time keeping machine helps keep the paying passengers happy...and helps me not get fired...

IMG_8473.JPG

IMG_1380.JPG

20. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 15, 2017

Sorry I missed most of this, I got up late this morning. :unsure: