Forums Latest Members
  1. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Nov 15, 2012

Here's a quote from a recent WSJ article on collectibles as investments:

In a study of collectors after the 2008 crash, 74% said investment potential was driving their buying decisions, says ACE Private Risk Services.

Again, are you one of the 74%?

2. ulackfocus Nov 15, 2012

Investing in having fun with my hobby? Sure!

3. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 15, 2012

Yes and No. I collect the watches because I like them and able to wear them. However knowing that they are appreciating in value (or at least not depreciating) makes me loosen my wallet easier compare to other things that I buy.

4. Lex4TDI4Life Nov 15, 2012

I have no illusion that my small collection will ever yield any profits. If it does: so be it. That being said, my income is soon to increase and I might find my collection growing. My justifications might change. I am not, however at the point of buying a watch I can't wear on my wrist simply for investment potential.

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 15, 2012

I think you really have to be, but more significantly who are the 26% that collect things irrespective of value, I've got some Cyma's to sell them.

6. smithrjd Nov 15, 2012

Hard to say, loose money for a hobby is not as available as it used to be. I seem to be going more towards the Zodiacs as they are not as much for the initial investment. It seems harder to come up with the money for the watches I would really like that are between $1 to $3K. I really want an Omega GMT, but they seem pretty solid around the $2K mark for decent one.

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 15, 2012

Well I don't want to be part of the 1% ers. :eek:

1%er_diamond_black.jpg

8. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 15, 2012

Respectable Member MSNWatch

This is a relatively small blog, compared to some others who have thousands upon thousands of members.

However, I find this blog to be very honest and down to earth with all the discussions, in particular allowing a discussion that a good vintage-watch has an investment potential or not.

In this blog too, we are allowed to link other websites, discuss vintage-watch prices and many other subjects so freely, while some others come with a restriction or two. I have yet to see another blog that is better than this one, when it comes to freedom of discussion.

Elsewhere, I have realized some of the bigger collectors of vintage-watches claim, vintage-watch collecting should be looked upon as a form of enjoyment and never as an investment object. It is difficult to believe in this world of today, people are still hiding behind the curtain because of pride.

When I first started collecting watches, about 40 years ago, I never anticipated watch-collecting will one day become a world-wide passion that contains a contagious disease. Then one collected watches for the love of their beauty and nothing else. By and by, when business-people began to get involved in this healthy past-time, they see vintage-watch collecting has a potential to become an investment commodity. They then started to participate in the buying and selling of vintage-watches, to make a profit or keep them for some while, in their investment portfolio.

For how long more, must we feel ashamed or shy to admit, indeed a good vintage-watch has an investment potential, since demand for desirable vintage-watches is always going north, bar a third world war?

Thank-you.

9. pknopp Nov 15, 2012

I buy what I like with no concern over the future value.

10. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 15, 2012

Respectable Member dsio

Yes, a Cyma or Titoni lover belongs to that 26% group.

Thank-you.

11. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Nov 15, 2012

Personally I dont think investment potential drives my buying decisions, but I would like to think that I will not lose too much on anything I buy. To own $600 watch I like and lose $200 if I ever need to sell is acceptable to me. I think this is why I am scared off when the bids hit the $1,500 mark, as the potential for a big loss is greater. The flip side is that if I want to make any sort of real investment gain I have to drop the big bucks.....or strike real lucky!

12. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Nov 15, 2012

I do not usually think of them as investments when I make a buying decision. But of course I will hate to lose money on them when I sell. However for those which I may need to pay premium above market price, the investment factor will come into play. I wil decide then if I want to pay the premium if there is no potential for rise in value. But of course if condition is great and I really want it, I may still pay premium.:D

13. ulackfocus Nov 15, 2012

My investment strategy consists of "Ooooooo, shiny! I want it!". Then I think of what I can sell that will help pay for it. :p

14. trim Nov 15, 2012

Mine is sort of similar,

My investment strategy consists of "Ooooooo, shitty! I want it!".

I kind of wish I'd stop buying projects, but fixing them is so much fun. I also enjoy financial irresponsibility - making money would quite frankly spoil my hobby by adding stress, its my escape from my real job afterall.

They made some nice Cymas imo, I mean look at this, its an absolute peach:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So that puts me clearly in the 26%

rbird7282 likes this.
  15. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 16, 2012

That's a perfect statement for a hobby. I used to be a little bit jealous with my wife when she is in 'retail therapy' mode. But now I join the bandwagon......​
    :confused:

16. Melhadary Nov 16, 2012

This is a great thread!

I am more driven by a specific brand, the beauty it represents to me, and the sentimental value it holds to myself and my family (since birth and reaching an understanding of the world, I have seen an Omega on the wrists of my folks!)

To me, they are mainly 40's-60's Omega Seamasters, irrespective of price!

My investment here is in the joy of the hunt, the honor of ownership and the pleasant thought that I will one day leave behind something of such passion and value for my children. Along with some interesting stories as well!

17. ulackfocus Nov 16, 2012

Do you remember seeing John's NavyStar from WUS? It had a great chapter ring, almost like the Polerouter.

18. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Nov 16, 2012

IF:

You are extremely hesitant to pay 10-20% more for a watch that you truly desire

AND/OR

You are extremely hesitant to take a 10-20% hit on a watch you are selling

THEN IMO the investment angle is playing a significant role in your thinking.

19. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Nov 16, 2012

I'm quite happy that Cyma is underrated by collectors...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Nov 16, 2012

I wanted to add that the investment potential of vintage omegas is an important reason why there are more vintage omega collectors now than even 2-3 years ago and why as a consequence prices are going up. And I think that's because the vintage omega world has several advantages - variety, relatively low cost (advantageous because the barrier to entry is low and the potential for price appreciation is high given that many, many pieces are undervalued, sometimes hugely so) and the potential for upward mobility is there - you can find quality watches anywhere from $200 all the way up to $200,000.