Forums Latest Members

Are you guys happy with all the Omega Limited additions?

1. Sidrox25 Dec 24, 2017

Guys, just wondering if anyone felt this way. Instead of having all these special edition watches (speedmaster etc). Rather Omega follow Rolex’s example. Have a limited, but solid product offering?

chiswick, rominvicta and Watchmutt like this.
  2. JohnM Dec 24, 2017

I do prefer Rolex's more conservative and incremental approach with fewer limited editions than, say, Omega or Panerai. But they all understand the power of marketing and Rolex is probably king here, despite the sales and marketing benefits of LEs. I get confused by all the limited editions but have to admit Omega did a great job with the three 60th Anniversary pieces. As aware of its history as Rolex is, I can't imagine them reintroducing a 1016 or 5513 with updated movement.

chiswick, rominvicta and Pun like this.
  3. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Dec 24, 2017

Doesn’t bother me at all. I like the watches I own. I couldn’t care less if they make a thousand different watches, doesn’t change that I like the ones I have.

ffej4, Adamtrigg10, Petervl and 13 others like this.
  4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 24, 2017

Naw just make a watch for years and call it a limited edition like Rolex. Green glass milgauss and hulk for example.

Who cares if Omega makes a lot of LE’s how does it hurt anyone?

I don’t get the fanboy hate for Omega making LE’s you don’t like. No one complained about the Venice or 57’s, but make one Phelps watch and it’s a jihad.

5. nurseford25 Dec 24, 2017

The only one that has bothered me is the seamaster commander. It seemed so random and it had a loose connection to 007 at best.

6. Sidrox25 Dec 24, 2017

Don't get me wrong I'm an Omega guy too. Love my classic moonwatch. I also have to admit that the Snoopy, Speedy Tuesday, and CK2998 are cool pieces. It does get confusing. While Omega will always be Omega, I sometimes wish they held back on all the special editions and add to the exclusivity of each model.

7. FloridaGary Dec 24, 2017

In my opinion, a true limited edition is 100 pieces or less for the world. Omega, like other manufacturers have watered down the definition of Limited Edition.

nock, chiswick, Inushuk and 6 others like this.
  8. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Dec 24, 2017

I think some of the versions dilute the brand. If they keep making awesome ones I'm all for it. Gemini 4, or CK 2998 as an example.

IMG_20171220_111141.jpg IMG_20171120_083122.jpg

But I have to question this one.

IMG_20171224_121641.png

Also, I was in the OB a few days back. The sales guy shows me the Olympic LE watches that are coming. One is a set of 5 watches, with the straps of each watch a different color. Same dial on each, but the colors of the markers are changed to match strap color. Seems so stupid to release set of 5 watches. I think set of 5 was $30k.

Riviera Paradise and BrianMcKay like this.
  9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 24, 2017

Held back the number of watches? Or number LE’s

10. hotwheels Dec 24, 2017

Not got a problem with Limited editions, as long as I actually like the watch, at least with omega there is the chance of ownership at retail price, with Rolex or indeed Porsche you've got to pay way over the retail price unless your in a very small group of "customers" (who give the dealer's a very nice Xmas present.....)

11. Sidrox25 Dec 24, 2017

Number of LE.

12. sevenhelmet Dec 24, 2017

I actually like the number of LEs that Omega releases. It's the opposite approach to Rolex, and it can lead to some interesting innovations, despite some of the limited editions being (in my opinion) hideous. At the same time, Omega sticks to its roots with certain models, most notably the Speedmaster, which got me (and a bunch of other people) into the brand.

Rolex, on the other hand, minimizes modifications, sticking to their core competency of producing handsome, traditionally sized and featured watches, with just minor modifications constituting major news for them. They hype up their brand prestige, and manage to increase prices relative to the market as time goes on. Clearly, its working, as their target market buys into their hype 100%. I disagree with the transparent throttling of certain models (Daytona), but it seems to drive up the price even further- which appears to be Rolex's desired end-state. However, Omega does the same thing. And both companies make an unarguably fine watch. I just happen to prefer Omega's style and approach, even though it doesn't always yield a winner in the LE arena.

watchme and Riviera Paradise like this.
  13. Watchmutt Dec 24, 2017

It doesn't bother me. Its fun to collect a number of different watches.

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  14. texasmade Dec 24, 2017

I’m more bothered by some of the less appealing LE’s. The Commander and the Speedmaster that Taddyangle posted are just 2 examples. That Speedy can still be found BNIB in OB’s years later.

Apollo13 and BrianMcKay like this.
  15. Watchmutt Dec 24, 2017

Ok, I have to agree with this. Some LEs should have never been.

BrianMcKay likes this.
  16. mmalek1 Dec 24, 2017

I am just a fan of the actual watches I buy. These two caught my eye.

IMG_3183.JPG IMG_3494.JPG
  17. sgrossma Dec 24, 2017

I really like all of the LEs.
    It keeps things a little interesting...
    They all find their own markets and the ones that are popular trade well and the ones that aren't don't.

Mtnmansa likes this.
  18. BrianMcKay Dec 24, 2017

I have an Oris TT3 from an edition of 997. If Magrette limits an issuance of a model to 500, 750, or 1010, that's a limited edition.

19. Riviera Paradise Dec 25, 2017

Pretty tough to hit the mark with every LE. Many of the Speedy LEs have been good.

I suppose the only downside with the qty of LEs is lower value retention over time...but that has probably more to do with the general Omega flood the market distribution approach and not necessarily just the no. of LEs pumped out each year.

Overall I think it is good to have product diversity.

Anyone buying an Omega at retail price as an investment wants to believe in fairy tales;)

Mtnmansa, STANDY and Theognosis like this.
  20. casavova007 Dec 25, 2017

I think they have to limited their limited editions releases , it's getting out of hands

nock, chiswick, rominvicta and 2 others like this.