Forums Latest Members

Are you 100% Omega or do you admire and collect other brands?

1. Sgt_Bilko Jun 7, 2015

The subject says it all really. I have a decent sized collection of vintage watches but the majority are Omega. I am starting to evaluate my collection and will no longer add watches from certain brands, yet I cannot deny some of these are really beautiful watches that are probably the equal of Omega in every practical sense.

How do you all feel about other brands and their horological value alongside Omega? I am referring to vintage watches here so lets eliminate modern watches from the equation, even if their current market position does seem to affect the perception of older watches.

2. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! Jun 7, 2015

I have many vintage watch brands in my collection but the large majority are Omega and Zodiac. I feel as far a horological value that Zodiac is in the shadow of Omega, but I just like them.

noelekal and Nobel Prize like this.
  3. guelerct Jun 7, 2015

Why be a fan boy?
    If the watch is cool I would get it regardless of brand

nickw, Prange, goedie and 1 other person like this.
  4. Sgt_Bilko Jun 7, 2015

Sure I agree with that to extent. My reasons for not collecting any more from certain watches are varied and sometimes down to questions like parts or servicing etc. There are some brands like Zenith that are clearly excellent, yet I don't know so much about them. One of my absolute favourite watches is an 18ct gold 1967 Eternamatic 3000, yet most people would probably choose an Omega over an Eterna.

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 7, 2015

What brands won't you add?

I currently am on a collection of brands two Longines just added after photo and hunting a Lemania as we speak

image.jpg

Alpha, Nobel Prize and Giff2577 like this.
  6. Sgt_Bilko Jun 7, 2015

I have grown wary of IWC for example. I have a 1970s Yacht Club but parts and servicing has become very tricky indeed and generally very expensive. There are other brands that were once highly regarded that appear to have little value nowadays such as Mido, so I would tend to avoid them. I also tend to think the same money buys a much nicer Omega than a Rolex.

IMG_20150207_163134_sm.jpg
    TexasKevin and bristnj like this.
  7. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jun 7, 2015

I think people who limit themselves to one brand or one model are missing out on a lot. Yes I like Omega a lot and have several, but can you rule out a Hamilton Spur or a Grand Seiko just because they're made by someone else? Some can, and thats too bad for them!

download.jpg

Matty01, Geo! and Prange like this.
  8. bristnj Jun 7, 2015

Variety is the spice of life! I am partial to Heuer, but my collection includes Omega, Hamilton, Tudor, Wakmann, Le Jour, and many others. Buy what you love, and you'll love your collection!

Prange and Nobel Prize like this.
  9. Sgt_Bilko Jun 7, 2015

I've just done a quick audit and the current collection is as follows:

Bulova 4
    Eterna 2
    Garrard 2
    IWC 1
    Longines 3
    Omega 17
    Rolex 2
    Universal Geneve 1
    Zenith 2

10. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jun 7, 2015

I started with IWC, but have, over many years, become extremely eclectic.

As I really enjoy the ongoing hunt, not limiting myself to any particular brand(s) opens up many opportunities.

charleshunter, Prange and Nobel Prize like this.
  11. Noisy Nova Jun 7, 2015

I'm not fussy. I'll wear just about anything, as long as it actually works and looks good. I even have a quartz.

Buckeyes#1, Prange and Nobel Prize like this.
  12. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 7, 2015

Iwc service is by far less expensive then omegas. I had a Portuguese chrono fully serviced for around 200 dollars at the iiwc store here in NYC and a portofino that was smashed and case deformed fully serviced and repaired for around 500. Took 4 to 5 weeks for each, they add insurance, paperwork and 1 year guarantee. I'm happy with that.

Edited Jun 7, 2015
  13. Sgt_Bilko Jun 7, 2015

That's totally different from my experience. I recently had that Yacht Club serviced for the princely sum of £760. That's over $1,100. That included one small replacement part that could only be located in Australia and cost over £200. It took the best part of four months. IWC do not let independent watch makers have access to parts.

Edited Jun 7, 2015
  14. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 7, 2015

Crazy!!

15. michaelmc Jun 7, 2015

The availability parts as well as expense of and finding a good watchmaker for various brands does limit what I purchase anymore. I am 90% Rolex as it's easier for movement service for me. Finding rare parts like gilt hands, red triangle inserts etc. causes me to think more than twice about projects. I find that any brand if its interesting and in good condition is worth the look. Personal preference is toward Rolex, Omega, Longines and some Seiko.

16. scruffy Jun 7, 2015

I own 100% Omega, but I look from time to time at vintage Rolex submariners. I might like to own a nice vintage sub some day, like a gmt or even a red, but the costs are high and probably never going back down. But, if I won the lottery, I would have more than just Omega in my collection - I'd try to get a sample of some of the more iconic watches.

17. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 7, 2015

Ironically this forum opened my heart and awareness of other brands more than any other source. I already had a taste for IWC , Baume & Mercier and Panerai along of course Omega. Rolex is a brand I actually acquired a taste for here, same as Zenith and in general for a taste on horological achievement pieces outside of just brand perception.

At a time I had 6 omegas, I'm down to 4 now a speedy an AT a PO and an SMPc , I had no Rolex and now I have 5 . Other brands i have in my collection: Panerai, Baume, Waltham, Hamilton, gruen, Bell&Ross, Zenith, IWC ...

But I do find it funny that a forum named after Omega has had such an impact on non omega brands. I really love this forum for not being fan boy based.

18. Sgt_Bilko Jun 7, 2015

I have found this forum to be friendlier than a few others and yes it's good we can discuss other brands without starting wars.

Matty01, Buckeyes#1 and Giff2577 like this.
  19. lillatroll Jun 7, 2015

I like other brands but for now am only buying Omega, this is mostly due to having limited funds to spend on watches. Many times on the for sale section I have seen other brands and thought I would like to buy that but then think that is 40% of the cost of a particular omega model I want. When I have acquired the models I want then I can see me looking at other brands. For me its mostly about the asthetics of the watch, obviously quality is important too but its mostly about how much I like the look of it. I totaly agree with buying the watches you love and you will love your collection.

Edited Jun 7, 2015
  20. ulackfocus Jun 7, 2015

I can't think of a brand that made in-house calibers besides Patek Phillippe and Pierce that I haven't owned as far as vintage watches are concerned.