Forums Latest Members

Are today’s watch prices are control?

1. saulgoodman Jan 12, 2020

Daytona $13,150, Submariner $7,900, Explorer 2 $8,350, Speedmaster 321 $13,367. These are the MSRP‘s. As we know you would be lucky to pay that these days. The Rolex models in stainless steel command much more. According to some pundits, so will the Speedy 321. Are today’s watch prices out of control, and if so, why do you keep buying them? This is a serious question and I hope to see some well-thought-out answers that will convince me that plunking down $10,000 for a Submariber, or much more for a Daytona is in anyway sane. What say you?

2. BenBagbag Jan 12, 2020

Why is it any more sane that paying $8000 for a submariner? Want sanity? Buy a casio for $8. It'll keep better time than any of the watches you mentioned.

blufinz52, Motik, bardamu and 4 others like this.
  3. Dan S Jan 12, 2020

Why would we want to convince you to pay $10k for a watch? If you love the watch and you have the money, then buy it. Otherwise, don't.

Scarecrow Boat and blufinz52 like this.
  4. saulgoodman Jan 12, 2020

Thanks, but that is no way responsive to the question. I’m not asking you to compare one watch against the other to justify paying high prices. I am asking you to justify paying the high prices period.

5. saulgoodman Jan 12, 2020

I didn’t think I was going to get much play in terms of a real response, and that seems to be proving correct. However, in response to your comment, there is a point regardless of your ability to pay when your brain tells you, “this is simply not worth it“. I’m wondering if others out there are beginning to feel that way, or if they will pay whatever price the manufacturers, and the second market demands?

janice&fred and Sidnos like this.
  6. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Jan 12, 2020

only you can justify the cost...its your coins after all

why do you need a stranger to do it for you?

7. saulgoodman Jan 12, 2020

You are missing the point. Please read my response to Dan S.

8. Evitzee Jan 12, 2020

Expensive watches are an emotional purchase. Don't try to analyze the prices. Buy if it sings to you.

blufinz52, CJpickup57, OHS and 3 others like this.
  9. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Jan 12, 2020

its all relative...again I ask, why do you need a stranger to guide you in this regard?

Scarecrow Boat and Dan S like this.
  10. Dan S Jan 12, 2020

Then why did you start the thread?

In fact, there is no "real" response possible. It's a luxury item, not a necessity, so therefore it's an emotional purchase. Nobody can decide how much it's worth it to you. @CajunTiger and @Evitzee are making the same point. Furthermore, everyone's financial situation is different. For some people, $10k is a life-changing amount of money, for others it's pocket change.

11. saulgoodman Jan 12, 2020

You don’t seem to understand. What I am looking for is what other people think about the prices. This is not about me. I am not thinking about buying any of these watches. I am just wondering if we are reaching the price point where even the most ardent WIS are finding it difficult to pull the trigger.

12. saulgoodman Jan 12, 2020

So what you are saying is that if a Rolex Sub climbs to $25,000 and someone with limitless resources pays that price he/she would not think twice about whether the item they had just purchased is worth the price? That is nonsense. I know plenty of people with limitless resources and they are very conscientious about where they put their money. That is how they got there in the first place.

What I am wondering is what the consensus is about the breaking point? When is enough enough?

janice&fred and mzinski like this.
  13. wristpirate Jan 12, 2020

Surely the breaking point is individual to each person. Don’t see how there is consensus price that the whole world stops buying at.

14. WatchCor Jan 12, 2020

As already pointed out everyone has a different financial situation so in my opinion it is redundant trying to generalize a breaking point.

Watches are luxury items I don't need them. I have a certain budget and if a watch fits in that budget then I can consider it.

Texans93, BlackTalon and chronos like this.
  15. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jan 12, 2020

Oh...another thread on the price of new Rolex.

This is why I focus on vintage.

Scarecrow Boat, bardamu, ext1 and 4 others like this.
  16. MPWATCH Watch Lover Jan 12, 2020

The market is a conscious free being fueled by supply & demand. Anything said is speculation - Buy what you love, better safety in models not produced anymore in my opinion. Vintage is a lovely place to enjoy yourself while learning true value.

17. saulgoodman Jan 12, 2020

never mind.

18. saulgoodman Jan 12, 2020

This is not about Rolex you need to read the thread.

19. Shabbaz Jan 12, 2020

Did you know it costs EUR 93 per month to feed a family of 6 in Kenya?

With € 25 we can provide a family with clean water for approx. 8 days
    - With € 50 we can provide a family with clean water for around 17 days
    - With € 100 we can provide a family with clean water for approximately 33 days

Watches... 8 or 20k... does it really matter....

20. S.H. Jan 12, 2020

Watches are not watches anymore, this has been the case for some years (decades?) now. The watches you mention are luxury items, fashion items, social items, etc... not simply functional watches, used to tell the time. BTW, vintage or modern, it is the same boat. These objects degenerated from their primary function long ago, so it is somewhat "normal" to see their prices float around. Some watches are cheap compared to what they are (vintage pocket watches), some are ludicrously expensive regardless of their various qualities (or lack thereof)...

Personally I tune out north of 3k, my own limit. Anything priced more than that, enters the realm of dreams and theories... Veblen goods, smoke and mirrors.

vacheroyale, janice&fred and hanky6 like this.