Forums Latest Members
  1. kawuszka007 Jun 10, 2019

Hello all!

This is my first post here. I wanted to join the community that cherishes the same watches as I do. I have the opportunity to buy these two seamasters. Both are different. One has a small seconds hand and the other does not but the movement is a 570 from the pictures. I do not know the movement of the second one, maybe a 344?. Neither crown looks original. At what price am I getting a fair value?

Seamaster 5.jpg Seamaster 4.jpg Seamaster 3.jpg Seamaster 2.jpg Seamaster 1.jpg
  2. Rochete Jun 10, 2019

At no price.

3. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jun 10, 2019

Save your money. I wouldn't have them as a gift.

They would have to pay me to dispose of them discretely.

Rochete likes this.
  4. Vitezi Jun 10, 2019

Hi @kawuszka007 and welcome to the forum.

Both of the watches that you show have had their dials repainted at some point in their past lives. Watch collectors call these "redials." Since collectors (such as those on this forum) prize original dials, we would discourage you from buying either of them at any price.

If you are interested in buying a vintage watch, I would encourage you to slow down, put your money back in your pocket, and instead spend some time learning about what collectors value in a vintage watch. Start with these threads:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/condition-condition-condition-and-other-pieces-of-advice.1716/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/learn-how-to-fish.52603/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/for-the-new-members-read.23288/

Hunting for a vintage watch takes patience. Please read the (free) advice on this forum; buy a book or two about vintage watches; learn how to spot an original dial and discern redials, frankens and fakes; see what other collectors prefer.

5. Manong Jun 10, 2019

Hello Kawuska007,

I will not tell you to purchase or walk away. .... that is something you have to decide on your own.

I am also new to this forum and watch collecting.

Some time ago, I learned "quickly" when I purchased a vintage Omega Seamaster bumper. While the case, caseback and movement matched and were original, the dial was re-finished and the second hand was "non-original". I did not know that back then. Needless to say I quickly learned the value of an original. Nevertheless, I kept the watch to remind me to curb my emotions and to read, compare and research other possible prospects of the same model.

The forum advices are valid. We have to keep on researching. Don't worry, this is a great forum to learn. In fact, recently thru this forum, I was able to make serious progress on a SM120 series I've been wanting to collect for a long, long time.

Best of luck.