Forums Latest Members
  1. lumbertubs Oct 7, 2014

I am interesting in buy my first Omega and have my eye on two on ebay, but have strong doubts as to their authenticity.

The first is "NT & RARE!! VINTAGE "OMEGA SEAMASTER CALENDAR BIG LOGO" AUTO WATCH!!...NR!!"

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINT-RARE...es_Watches_MensWatches_GL&hash=item51c44864b2Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

But a quick look online suggests to me that Omega did not make a "California Dial" Seamaster

The second is "VINTAGE OMEGA GENEVE AUTOMATIC CALIBER 1012 (EXCELLENT CONDITION) SERVICED"

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-O...es_Watches_MensWatches_GL&hash=item48700b313bPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Are they both too good to be true?

Your views are greatly appreciated.

2. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Oct 7, 2014

Realish. The first has an Omega cal 503 which at some stage has had rotor post problems (amongst other things) with a dial that is a travesty. It's a shiny thing for newbs, but otherwise probably good for a few parts. There's an old ditty in watch collecting that runs ""Whenever you see the words "mint" and "rare", take a step back and do take care"", which is very apt in the case of the face-lifted Seamaster.

The second shows rust on the stainless parts of the movement and, again, rotor scuffing. Lume has been placed at the base of the markers to match the ring-in luminous hands. Was originally a non-luminous watch.

So, in answer to your question, one is too bad to be true and the other is comparatively true but somewhat ho-hum.

Cheers

Desmond

3. ulackfocus Oct 7, 2014

ROFLseal.jpg

Often the best (and funniest) description is the simplest. :p

4. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Oct 7, 2014

What beach were you on when that was taken?::stirthepot::

5. lumbertubs Oct 10, 2014

Mondodec/Desmond

Many thanks for your advice/opinion. I didn't pursue them on eBay.

I am obviously attracted to bright shiny things and unfortunately have no knowledge of Omegas. Probably to get the type of Omega that I would like would be well out of my budget if it were the genuine article.

That's me on the beach - bloody paparazzi - I get no privacy.

mondodec and Spacefruit like this.
  6. msp1518 Oct 10, 2014

Let us know your budget and what attracts you in a watch. Many of the experts here will point you in the direction of some nice pieces. Maybe not Omega but that's okay. There are countless wonderful pieces out there.