Forums Latest Members
  1. Santiago Apr 4, 2012

Hello all, im new at the forum. I want to buy my first Omega Watch but as far as I can see is really hard not to get ripped off with fake watches. Im from Argentina, trying to buy a vintage watch from a local seller, but I read that unfortunatelly lot of franken watches are "manufactured" down here. So in case there are any honest sellers left, I wanted to know the expert opinions on these watches:

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar...-sc-big-jumbo-39mm-acero-excelente-us-450-_JM

and

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-146949882-gigante-omega-calibre-265-imperdible--_JM

Yo can zoom in the pictures.

Thanks!

2. ulackfocus Apr 4, 2012

Welcome! I like the second one more than the first, but that's because it's possibly the lesser of two evils. Both are refinished dials at the least. Wait for somebody with more experience on these manual wind watches to offer their opinion.

3. Santiago Apr 4, 2012

Thanks you! that was quick! and it helps, I am anxiously waiting for other comments now.

4. omegary Apr 5, 2012

I'm no expert on Omegas of this vintage but they're both definitely redials.

The first example was obviously done a while back as it's beginning to develop some patina of its own. The case on this example has been aggressively refinished too, oh and the font on the dial is all wrong.

On the second example the 5 and 7 actually overlapping the sub dial is the biggest giveaway.

Personally I'd steer well clear and wait for a more authentic example.

Cheers,
    Gary

5. Santiago Apr 5, 2012

Thank you, i will pass on these watches then, but I am still curious about the machine, do you think is an authentic Omega?
    Best.

6. ulackfocus Apr 5, 2012

The movements look to be authentic Omega calibers.