Forums Latest Members

Are there any vintage watches (non diver) wearable when it's rainy?

1. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 8, 2016

The other day a powerful rain started when I was in the street, and realized I was wearing a 1940s watch.
    For sure it was a screw back François Borgel case with an extra movement cover, and presumably designed for better protection against humidity. But I felt safer taking off the watch.

Was it overkill and are there any vintage watches one can even wear when it's rainy?

This is where I see the advantage of those modern quartz /water resistant watches I still have.

Thanks for your thoughts and best regards,
    S

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 8, 2016

Syrte likes this.
  3. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 8, 2016

I can't quite believe it ... He must have been joking? (Quite funny anyhow).

Strange there was an entire thread dedicated to this very same question but the OP edited out the title and virtually all of his posts. ::confused2::

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 8, 2016

I wouldn't recommend getting them wet but some are more water resistant than others, the late 60s / early 70s Cal 601 series Geneves and Cal 751 Seamaster sparkles along with some of the front loading Cosmics tend to have very high dial survival rates which tends to indicate they hold up quite well, after a seal change and with a good crown (replaced if needed) I'd be less concerned getting caught in the rain with one of those, while the 50s era Seamasters and Constellations generally don't do well at all nor do many of the 60s era pieces.

These kind of Seamaster Cosmics for example are among those that very rarely have moisture damage in spite of their age and tend to be quite durable not to mention cheap.

[​IMG]

5. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Aug 8, 2016

To my understanding, the weak link would be the crown. A good screw-back case, such as your Taubert/Borgel, will likely remain water resistant to some extent, but its patented cork crown stem sealing system will be vulnerable as the cork will have degraded over the decades.

I have worn similar watches in the rain without problems, but it would definitely pose a risk.

Cheers,

Tony C.

Syrte likes this.
  6. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 8, 2016

For peace of mind, best to take off the watch and stick it in your bag or pocket during a deluge. :thumbsup:

Omega1, Hijak and Syrte like this.
  7. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 8, 2016

That's exactly what I did. But I also thought the risk of accidentally dropping it and breaking it during an emergency removal in the street was not ideal.

Thanks much @dsio, I do like the "sparkles" - although the sparkly dial I prefered of those I've seen was a cal. 565.
    Different case - I guess that doesn't qualify...
    I might have to stick to my good ol' quartz watches.

Edited Aug 8, 2016
  8. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Aug 8, 2016

A properly serviced Rolex Oyster would fit the bill, would it not? There are hundreds and hundreds, if not thousands of vintage, non-diver Oysters on the market at any given time.

Syrte likes this.
  9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 8, 2016

Honestly ... No. Not ever crazed sweaty running between airline terminals on a hot muggy day. That's why I have modern watches in my collection.

10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 8, 2016

Ps Dropping the watch in a bag of rice for a few days will draw out the moisture.

Syrte likes this.
  11. abrod520 Aug 8, 2016

Agree above, generally if it's gonna be a hot, muggy rainy day I'm going with a modern watch.

Syrte likes this.
  12. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 8, 2016

Too bad, I thought suddenly I had a good reason to get one of the Tudor Oysters I like.
    (Not crazy about Rolex, but I do like some of the older, textured dial Tudor Oysters. Of course "older' probably means even less weather proof though.)
    Guess I won't get rid of my modern quartz watches then.

Fritz and Jones in LA like this.
  13. ConElPueblo Aug 8, 2016

I have had a few of my vintage (1968 + 1971) watches pressure tested positively at my watchmaker's, those I wouldn't mind wearing in harsh weather. If the weather gets bad while I wear something else, I just take it off and put it in my pocket :)

Syrte likes this.
  14. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Aug 8, 2016

I don't do it on purpose but any time I've worn a 20s-era watch it's done fine in the rain. In fact, I honestly do not treat my old watches any differently than I do the newer ones and I've never had any issues save breaking the crystal on my 18s pocket watch, and that only because I rarely wear a pocket watch.

Tom

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 8, 2016

Unsealed watches + water = bad idea. You have been lucky. Past performance is no guarantee of future returns as they say...

Syrte likes this.
  16. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 8, 2016

So it seems the "takeaway" as they say is that certain but not all vintage watches from the late 60s or 70s may be able to withstand bad weather if they are tested as such...
    Thanks for the suggestions gents, better safe than sorry though.

17. wsfarrell Aug 8, 2016

"Dial survival rate" is something I hadn't thought of, and seems like a great indicator of water-tightness.

18. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 8, 2016

I have had two recently serviced antique chrono's fog up on me in hot humid, rainy weather in the last two months...even with new seals. All those vintage Submariners you see on leather straps? Rest assured they will never go swimming. So with a vintage watch as the Paris dealer who sold me my 2998 speedy and knew that I'm a catamaran sailor told me ...."Don't go to the beach with it. Don't even think about water with this watch on your wrist."

19. ulackfocus Aug 8, 2016

Man, I love when somebody can't tell the difference between my sarcasm and actual advice. Lets me know I'm good at being facetious. :p Of course, being from Noo Joizey / Philly it comes naturally.

S, you should know by now that there's a good chance of jokesterism here.

Yeah, check out his avatar and message. He's gone.

20. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 8, 2016

Jersey / Pennsy lad myself. I get it