Forums Latest Members
  1. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Jul 31, 2016

I know there's a general shortage of posts at the moment, and off-beat topics are tolerated :)

Over the past two months the traffic to my blog has changed markedly. Usually, the top five countries are US, UK, Germany, Australia and a toss up between Canada and France. Over the past two months, however, Russia has gained the top spot relegating the US to second by thousands of hits each month.

I'm mystified by this development, particularly in light of the Russian economy being deeply in the toilet at the moment, if not well and truly on the way to the sewage farm. So, why this sudden blip on the radar? Any suggestions?

Cheers

Desmond

2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jul 31, 2016

Hacking.

3. ConElPueblo Jul 31, 2016

You could always try to cash in on the development. Feature more, eh, extravagant varieties that'll cater to the tastes of the nouveau rich of the Russian steppes and perhaps open a shop on your premises? This would be an obvious choice:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OMEGA-CON...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

[​IMG]

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 31, 2016

Stealing photos for all the up and coming scams they are planning :whistling:

watchme, OMGRLX and Larry S like this.
  5. Sgt_Bilko Jul 31, 2016

Are you certain this is genuine traffic and not something else like referral spam? Is all the traffic coming from one or two sources or is it more general?

OMGRLX likes this.
  6. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Jul 31, 2016

I reckon at least half of the hits you get from the Netherlands are mine :)

ahartfie likes this.
  7. Finrod Felagund Jul 31, 2016

Or learning a lot to build up the perfect fake and flood the market :D

OMGRLX likes this.
  8. ulackfocus Jul 31, 2016

Yeah, the frankenmasters are looking for tips so they can evolve.

OMGRLX likes this.
  9. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jul 31, 2016

They've mistaken you for MondoDem, a DNC blog

ahartfie, Syrte, Dero13 and 3 others like this.
  10. fjf Jul 31, 2016

Capitalism at its best. The poor are pooreer, but the rich....those are very, very, very rich.

Willem023 likes this.
  11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 31, 2016

Bots (which steer false clicks to sites) and Rich Oligarchs with other people's money to burn perhaps.

OMGRLX likes this.
  12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 31, 2016

Just a heap of athletes with nothing to do ;)

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 31, 2016

Russia is 0.01% of our traffic, I'd suggest the sites probably being scraped or something by bots, Russian traffic unlike most European traffic is very rarely English speaking sites.

To put it in perspective Russia has about 5% English speakers while the Netherlands has something over 90% and most are easier to understand than Victorians.

Northernman, Foo2rama and OMGRLX like this.
  14. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Aug 1, 2016

My blog is getting hammered by the Russians

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=799451

Similar question on a different forum... there seems to be a common pattern here. Very recently big traffic out of Russia... my guess it's not people and their new found love for your blog but bots

One suggestion that was made... block of ip's from Russia (leaving out the 0.001 that might be legit.traffic

15. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 1, 2016

Might be a bug in the monitoring. Or an IP block got moved around. If total traffic stayed even but the mix changed then this is the likely reason.

By block I mean block of numbers. These can get reassigned due to need and monitoring software might not update the new address location.

Also is this stat from your isp or or a web counter? If it's from your isp. Check your ftp and make sure your not hosting files that you did not put there.

Edited Aug 1, 2016
    ahartfie likes this.
  16. Sgt_Bilko Aug 1, 2016

I gather Desmond's website is a Google blogspot, so I imagine the options for blocking traffic are limited. If it was hosted somewhere else I'd have suggested using CloudFlare.

OMGRLX likes this.
  17. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Aug 1, 2016

Thanks all for your input - much appreciated.

Hmm, I'm partial to the bot attack explanation. The stats come from Google. The blocking opportunities are very limited and I might try to lodge a query through their usual convoluted channels.

Cheers

Desmond

18. Sgt_Bilko Aug 2, 2016

Its not hard to identify those involved with referral spam and it's clearly interfering with the normal functioning of the web, so I am mystified why Google hasn't yet bludgeoned them to death with a large cold fish.

Below is my usual daily wearer:

screenshot_1361.jpg

ahartfie, Hijak, Peemacgee and 2 others like this.
  19. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Aug 2, 2016

Yes, I would have thought, given what you say, that they havent done something.

Cheers
    Desmond

20. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 2, 2016

It's not Putin chatting to his mate Trump is it