Forums Latest Members
  1. Mgas Sep 7, 2015

Looking to possibly switch my 357050 speedy to a NATO strap. I was looking at the straps sold by Omega and they seem quite overpriced compared to other NATOs. Comments greatly appreciated..

Realtime, Omegafanman and Mad Dog like this.
  2. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Sep 8, 2015

No. But if you happen to have the money for them or can ask a family or friends member to get you one as a birthday or Xmas present they're great quality and you'll have a branded strap.

I personally use $15 to $30 dollar Natos. Can't seem self buying the omega one, but if I had one I would certainly enjoy it.

3. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 8, 2015

The quality is excellent.

The cost is 10X (or more) that of a quality aftermarket strap.

But as with many other luxury consumer goods, it's not strictly a financial decision.

Omegafanman and Mad Dog like this.
  4. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Sep 8, 2015

I really like the thin, tight weave of the Omega NATO. I've never purchased a non-Omega NATO for my modern Omegas, so I can't compare the less expensive alternatives. For a very thick watch like the Planet Ocean cal. 8500, the desirability of a thin weave is obvious.

Mad Dog likes this.
  5. Traveler Sep 8, 2015

Yes they are worth the money. They blow cheap NATOs out of the water. I wish they had more variety, I'd buy several more.

AngelDeVille and Mad Dog like this.
  6. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Sep 8, 2015

In my humble opinion, the Omega NATOs are like sore dicks...you can't beat them. Yeppers, they are pricey...but my Omega Speedmaster Professional (aka Speedy Gonzales) is my grail watch so it gets grail NATOs...and I'm sort of a brand whore. Pictured below is my Speedy Gonzales on the Omega Barenia leather NATO and just to the right is the Omega coated nylon NATO...followed by the Omega polyamide NATO and the Omega NASA replica strap...both of which came with the Speedy Gonzales Moonwatch presentation box set. :thumbsup:

image.jpg

Edited Apr 25, 2021
  7. Traveler Sep 8, 2015

In case it helps, here is a comparison shot of my SM300 on an unbranded $15 NATO, compared to the Omega one. Can you really justify $135 of difference ? It's hard to, but does it look and feel better ? Unquestionably.... It's somewhat like asking if a Porsche is worth it, when a Ford will do the same job getting you from A to B. If you can afford it, and it gives you pleasure, then yes it's absolutely worth it...

image.jpg
    image.jpg

8. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Sep 8, 2015

Here's the Planet Ocean cal. 8500 example I mentioned, with an Omega NATO.

IMG_0201.jpg

redpcar and Mad Dog like this.
  9. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Sep 8, 2015

Just for the record...and this is 100% true..."Scout's Honor"...I'm an Eagle Scout so you are required to believe me...

Although I have only had the Omega Barenia leather NATO for a few months...I have noticed that it has a VERY strong but VERY pleasant leather aroma. Lately, this has come in VERY handy since our youngest (Max, age 14) has been floating some major air biscuits (farts) in the car due to his protein diet. He floats ridiculous SBD (Silent But Deadly) jobs. NO PROBLEM...Omega Barenia leather NATO to the rescue...TOOL NATO. Just pop your snot locker on the handy aromatic Omega Barenia leather NATO (see pic below) and the effects of Fartmeister Max are shutdown! :thumbsup:

image.jpg

Edited Sep 8, 2015
    Omegafanman, Eve, Tomislav and 11 others like this.
  10. M'Bob Sep 8, 2015

Wouldn't a clothespin be cheaper?

Medarvega and Mad Dog like this.
  11. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Sep 8, 2015

Yes, a clothespin would be [much] cheaper...but you can't wear your watch on a clothespin. I'm killing two birds with one stone here. :thumbsup:

M'Bob and Jones in LA like this.
  12. M'Bob Sep 9, 2015

Not to get too graphic here, but unless your son is lactose intolerant, proteins are usually well-digested and do not produce much gas. Carbs, which are not always fully broken down in the gut, are a much more likely culprit.

watchyouwant and Mad Dog like this.
  13. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Sep 9, 2015

Heck, I dunno...I asked him why he's been so gassy lately and that's what he told me. Whatever the cause...he's a freaking gas machine! :thumbsdown:

14. M'Bob Sep 9, 2015

Please get this under control, for the sake of humanity. Your son's methane production could be a significant contributor to global warming.

15. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Sep 9, 2015

Oh, for sure! He's a real methane producing punk right now...and it's no wonder why he's been having issues with the girls!

watchyouwant and M'Bob like this.
  16. Henman Sep 11, 2015

NO! Not worth it one bit.

Whoever did their straps should be fired. Today.

The nylon and Cordura fabrics they use are superb, but the biggest fault for me is the fact that all the Natos have springbars at the buckle. WHY would they do this when every bit of marketing for the new straps as well as vintage images shows the straps' military roots? The whole point of a G10 strap is that you don't lose your watch if you pop off a springbar. Having one point of failure is just not something I feel comfortable with. I would totally splurge on an Omega branded nato, but this really kills it for me. Blancpain does a sweet nato too for their Bathyscape but it too has a springbar at the buckle.

Why not make it a screw-in pin if you want buckle interchangeable? Their straps are a complete failure that had so much potential.

Slevin kelevra and TNTwatch like this.
  17. BoostLE Sep 11, 2015

I don't get it. Where does my watch go if the buckle breaks? Doesn't it stay put?
    [​IMG]

18. Traveler Sep 12, 2015

Unlike

19. TNTwatch Sep 12, 2015

To the ground, maybe? If you think the tie at the end can't get loose, think again.

watchyouwant likes this.
  20. Henman Sep 12, 2015

Thanks! Have a great Saturday! Love you!

Traveler likes this.