Forums Latest Members

Are Staurer watches any good?

1. Professor Jun 8, 2021

Just got a flyer in the mail from www.staurer.com.
    They have several of their watches offered at 90% off the MSRP. Watches priced at $299 marked down to $29.
    While I don't really care for the styling myself I'm considering buying several to stash away as Christmas or birthday presents.

2. flw history nerd Jun 8, 2021

The domain name appears to be available for sale. :cautious:

DaveK likes this.
  3. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jun 8, 2021

Must have been a going out of business sale ::rimshot::

Waltesefalcon, 64Wing and Dsloan like this.
  4. Walrus Jun 8, 2021

https://www.stauer.com/category/100201/mens

Looks like they are still in business. They had ads in WSJ and parade magazine. I don’t think they are known for quality but I years ago I almost got one I think it was a jump hour, they had a 1-800 number in the paper I called to ask the dimensions they didn’t know. Missed my chance to give you a proper review

5. abrod520 Jun 9, 2021

They've always got ads in the car magazines, about how buying their cheap quartz Daytona knockoff makes you a smarter person than the guy who actually bought a Daytona. They're pretty funny, kind of remind me a little of the J. Peterman stuff

Larry S, Dan S, Dsloan and 1 other person like this.
  6. mjb Jun 9, 2021

LOL, true that. I presume that they are all Chinese made to the lowest possible cost standards, but the few that intrigue me are always too big, so I've never made the plunge.

7. abrod520 Jun 9, 2021

The only thing that intrigues me about these watches is the way their maker thinks that you'll impress people wearing actual watches by telling them you paid $30 for your knockoff version

kkt, DaveK and mjb like this.
  8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 9, 2021

Thanks for that.

After I eyeballed their site, I spent most of the day thinking "it reminds me of something, can't put my finger on it".

Much classier than Stauer though ;).

https://jpeterman.com/products/1930s-pilot-watch?variant=33242814218299

9. RI Omega Fan Jun 9, 2021

“Are Stauer watches any good?”

No.

Dsloan likes this.
  10. mjb Jun 9, 2021

LOL, your avatar reminds me of a coworker who has a Tag fake. I thought he was a person of discerning class until he told me.

I don't mind people who have a $30 chronograph that does everything that my Speedmaster does. That's fine. I do dislike it when he's wearing a cheap, fake Speedmaster. That's just not right.

semper_shells likes this.
  11. flw history nerd Jun 9, 2021

semper_shells and RI Omega Fan like this.
  12. Professor Jun 9, 2021

So basically the Staurer watches are $29 quartz watches that may or may not be worth $29. I figured the $299 MSRP was ridiculous from the beginning.
    Didn't care for the styling of those on sale, and same goes for those on their main site.
    The stated sizes of these is enough to turn me off to them anyway. While I like my Citizen Ecodrive Chronograph and its definitely a quality watch with a brand name following, which I got as a like new factory refurb at about 1/4 the asking price, even at 40mm its a tad larger than I find comfortable, though it's actually more comfortable on the wrist than my 38mm Orient tristar.
    The Citizen is okay as an outdoor sports watch, excellent for that purpose in fact, but not something I care to wear every day.

13. Waltesefalcon Jun 10, 2021

Short answer, No.

Years ago, my ex wife bought me one. It was their "Graves" model. It was decent enough looking, had a Chinese automatic movement, and lasted probably 9 or 10 months before the complications started to fail. I suppose that for what it cost I got decent service out of it. The photo is from their website.

17453_800.jpg
  14. Danwales Jun 11, 2021

I had one. Bought as part of a job lot I believe it had a seagull movement. Keith Richards wore a Stauer Graves I believe.

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  15. Danwales Jun 11, 2021

Screenshot_20210611-214043_Google.jpg

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  16. Waltesefalcon Jun 11, 2021

Dsloan likes this.
  17. High Hope Jun 11, 2021

Good lord, Richards wears a Stauer? Their ads are in all of the car magazines, I assume trying to appeal to car nuts, who’d never buy a fake SSK Mercedes / Volkswagen. Jeez, they look like crap IMHO.

Apologies to all Stauer owners here. But really, think 1981 fake Rolex Datejusts.

Edited by a mod Jul 10, 2021
  18. Walrus Jun 11, 2021

Many moons ago I had a friend who was a cop with the Westport CT police. He used to tell me what a pain in the ass certain celebrities were but he also told me Keith Richards frequented a bar in the town when he was staying at his mansion in Connecticut. I went a couple times never saw him so one night he was doing patrol and he called me when he know Richards was in the bar. At the time I lived about 25 minutes away from that area I must have drove 90 miles an hour and had grand plans of becoming buddies with Keith Richards. I walked in and there he was sitting in the bar area drinking and reading a book. I sat at the bar figured out how I was going to end up with back stage passes and hang out with the stones. On my way out I simply said “thanks for all the great music mr Richards” and left. I’m sure the guy didn’t want to be bothered as he enjoyed his drink and book. Never went back again. I’m pretty sure he was wearing a Cartier

kkt likes this.
  19. Danwales Jun 11, 2021

Thats a great story. What could you say to him that he hasn't heard before eh? Yeah Keith is often seen with a Cartier and it suits him.

20. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 11, 2021

To answer the question posed by the title.....NO.

Dsloan likes this.