Are omega (swatch group) struggling?

I'm sorry, but why would you question the rise in prices since 2016? Material and labor prices have both rocketed upwards on every single good and service during the last 7+ years.
Edited:

Like 10
Looks like this morning Swatch group announced +8% and 900 Millions benefit all good

Like 9
"The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."

Like 12
I get they want to be Rolex but raising prices without doing anything is not the way to themselves into the Rolex tier.

Some in this parish would suggest that Omega don't want to be Rolex and that the 'Rolex tier' is smoke and mirrors (and a healthy dose of social engineering)

Like 9
Name a brand that hasn’t gone up since 2016.

Couple of mates have just got the watch buzz and have me looking at everything from bespoke to major luxury brands and boy, everything has gone up significantly in the last 5 years

(And cost of living crisis on TV daily isn’t tweaking you to think all Luxury products are in a struggle lately)
Edited:

Like 2
I’ve seen various articles on this eg Bloomberg and it seems the Swiss watch market is on a financial downturn at the moment from what I’ve read.

I last bought an omega on 2016 and I was shocked to see the price rises recently especially on something like a SMP. I get they want to be Rolex but raising prices without doing anything is not the way to themselves into the Rolex tier.

So what gives?
Omega certainly has its own identity.

Like 1
I’m not sure which “tier” you think Omega is in, but I’d respectfully suggest to you that it’s the same tier that Rolex is in - namely, mid-tier mass produced (ie, factory made) Swiss luxury watches. If you’re implying that Rolex is a high horology brand, you’re quite mistaken.

Like 21
I’m not sure which “tier” you think Omega is in, but I’d respectfully suggest to you that it’s the same that Rolex is in - namely, mid-tier mass produced (ie, factory made) Swiss luxury watches. If you’re implying that Rolex is a high horology brand, you’re quite mistaken.

Can you please desist from placing reasoned, fact based, logical arguments on the forum? You seem to have this grown up, thoughtul, and well reasoned approach that I for one find infuriating when dealing with the grammatically and intellectually challenged.
No offence to either party.:thumbsup:

Like 21
Can you please desist from placing reasoned, fact based, logical arguments on the forum? You seem to have this grown up, thoughtul, and well reasoned approach that I for one find infuriating when dealing with the grammatically and intellectually challenged.
No offence to either party.:thumbsup:
Sorry, I am mentally and emotionally challenged and trying to seek help. In the meantime, I continue to be infuriating by spouting facts (often with evidence) and logical, reasoned analysis. I’m so ashamed. :D

Like 16
I’m not sure which “tier” you think Omega is in, but I’d respectfully suggest to you that it’s the same tier that Rolex is in - namely, mid-tier mass produced (ie, factory made) Swiss luxury watches. If you’re implying that Rolex is a high horology brand, you’re quite mistaken.

But does Omega mine the special 904L ore from tunnels below their factory and process it in the foundry in their basements.

Rolex
904L stainless steel is a unique and highly valuable material that Rolex uses to make their watches. Its properties make it highly resistant to corrosion and durable, ensuring that Rolex watches last for many years

Reality
904L is easily welded and processed by standard shop fabrication practices.

Applications
  • Air Pollution Control — scrubbers for coal-fired power plants
  • Chemical Processing — process equipment for the production of sulfuric, phosphoric, inorganic and organic acids and the production of phosphate-based fertilizers
  • Metallurgical Processing — pickling equipment using sulfuric acid
  • Oil and Gas Production — offshore process equipment
  • Pharmaceutical Industry — process equipment
  • Pulp and Paper — processing equipment
  • Seawater and Brackish Water — condensers, heat exchangers and piping systems

Like 6
But does Omega mine the special 904L ore from tunnels below their factory and process it in the foundry in their basements.

Rolex
904L stainless steel is a unique and highly valuable material that Rolex uses to make their watches. Its properties make it highly resistant to corrosion and durable, ensuring that Rolex watches last for many years

Reality

Applications
  • Air Pollution Control — scrubbers for coal-fired power plants
  • Chemical Processing — process equipment for the production of sulfuric, phosphoric, inorganic and organic acids and the production of phosphate-based fertilizers
  • Metallurgical Processing — pickling equipment using sulfuric acid
  • Oil and Gas Production — offshore process equipment
  • Pharmaceutical Industry — process equipment
  • Pulp and Paper — processing equipment
  • Seawater and Brackish Water — condensers, heat exchangers and piping systems

You’ll be hearing from their lawyers within 24 hours. :D

Like 8
Ummmmmm...!!!

What if Rolex wasn't the first to use the "unique and highly valuable material?" What if Omega used 904L in the ProPlof as far back as 1971, while Rolex didn't adopt it until 1985? That's 14 (count 'em) years after Omega's use of the "unique" stainless steel alloy.
SAE_904L_stainless_steel
I mean ... if Wikipedia is to be taken at face value, Rolex missed both being the first and the only. Another "Everest Moment" as far as Rolex is concerned. ::stirthepot::

Like 2
Ummmmmm...!!!

What if Rolex wasn't the first to use the "unique and highly valuable material?" What if Omega used 904L in the ProPlof as far back as 1971, while Rolex didn't adopt it until 1985? That's 14 (count 'em) years after Omega's use of the "unique" stainless steel alloy.

I mean ... if Wikipedia is to be taken at face value, Rolex missed both being the first and the only. Another "Everest Moment" as far as Rolex is concerned. ::stirthepot::
Oh, no! Another facts matter guy! ::rant:

Like 8
Sorry, I am mentally and emotionally challenged and trying to seek help. In the meantime, I continue to be infuriating by spouting facts (often with evidence) and logical, reasoned analysis. I’m so ashamed. :D

No, no, no, I am now deeply embarrassed at having ‘fact’ shamed you I should have spotted the signs. You are who you are, be strong.

Please accept my sincere apologies.::shy::

Like 1
Ummmmmm...!!!

SAE_904L_stainless_steel

Hell, Several MICROBRANDS are even using it now. It's not as mystical/mythical as it once was.

Like 2
You’ll never make a politician

Like 4
Reality
What?? Now you’ve ruined it….;)

Like 2
Ummmmmm...!!!

SAE_904L_stainless_steel

And don't forget, that was originally only for the Seasweller. 904L steel was not introduced in all watches until 2003. So that Rolex Sub from the 90s might <gasp> be made out of then inferior 316L steel!

Like 2