Forums Latest Members
  1. Gasman Sep 16, 2017

I have just stumbled across the Fortis make. They look like IWC but cheaper.
    Does anybody know about these and can you clue me in?
    Thanks

2. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Sep 16, 2017

Like you, I know little about them as they seem to fly somewhat under the radar. However they seem to have a pretty solid reputation and make some reasonably well regarded "flieger" style watches. There are heaps of reviews and articles out there on the www.

Oh, and any manufacturer that has the balls/is barking mad enough to release something like this gets a :thumbsup: from me :D

RolfSachs_fortis_iq_watch_2.jpg

Edited Sep 16, 2017
    levkov, Smoothness, George.A and 6 others like this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 16, 2017

Well considering they are issued to Cosmonauts by the Russian Space Agency...

Legit respected brand. Similar to Sinn but with less German influence.

4. 2ar2c1 Sep 16, 2017

WatchBuys now reps them in USA.

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 16, 2017

Did not know that. Killer stable of brands over there.

Jwit likes this.
  6. BenjaminT Sep 16, 2017

It's an very old brand from the german speaking part of switzerland near Basel. It is traditionally a place where more affordable watches were build and where watch manufacturing was industrialized first.
    It's Fortis credit to have brought back the Flieger style watches in the 80s and 90s of the last century. They were sort of first to the genre which is now dominated by Laco and Stowa. In fact my very first mechanical watch at the age of 18 was Flieger from Fortis, I still have it:
    [​IMG]
    One benefit of the brand is that they are still supplying parts to independent watch makers, which makes those watches easy to service.
    But they are of course only encasing ETA movments - no manufacture.
    In the 90s they were supplying a Lemania 5100 based chronograph to the russian space program. They were not very active in the early 2010s though.
    In the last years the brand has experienced some turmoil, because the long term CEO who did also have the exclusive distribution rights for Germany (Peter Peter) was pushed out of the company. Distribution was restructured, new models launched, the collections streamed. But due to this situation you will still find two web-sites for the company because the split it is still not sorted out completely.
    The rejuvenated company launched some pretty attractive watches in the last two years IMHO. I really like the Aeromaster.

Mouse_at_Large and Jwit like this.
  7. alam Sep 16, 2017

Edited Sep 17, 2017
    blufinz52 likes this.
  8. Gasman Sep 16, 2017

I have learnt a lot but still cannot decide. Should I go for the Fortis or the IWC as they look very similar

downtownbobbyb likes this.
  9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 16, 2017

Different beasts... which ones from each brand? Whats aspect is important to you? Your asking Should I buy the Rolex or the Omega...

10. arcadelt Sep 16, 2017

I've owned two and I think they are honest well made watches. They've changed the lineup a lot since my ownership period, but I found them to be chunky and substantial, which suited me at the time.

IMG_5694.JPG

In terms of their commonality to IWC, the IWC collection seems more diverse to me and I really only see close similarities between the previous Fortis B-42 Fleiger Chronograph and the IWC Pilot's Watch Chronograph, but I guess there may be more.

Smoothness and alam like this.
  11. Gasman Sep 17, 2017

I have been looking at the Fortis F43 Champagne and the IWC Pilot Chrono 377714 I know they're not the same but again like an old woman I can't decide.

12. Andreas Sep 17, 2017

pics of the fortis?

13. Gasman Sep 17, 2017

IMG_0053.JPG
    Hope this is ok have a struggle with photos
    Just taken a second look I think this is the one with the alarm more complicated than the one I've been looking at.

14. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Sep 17, 2017

If I where a math teacher this would be my watch!

15. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Sep 17, 2017

On those 2 I like the IWC better...I do like IWC so I have a bias but I also find this Fortis a little busy on the dial for may taste

Andreas likes this.
  16. Andreas Sep 17, 2017

it would be my watch if i where a meth teacher :p

Nobel Prize likes this.
  17. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Sep 17, 2017

That's bad..........Breaking Bad :p

Edited Sep 17, 2017
    Andreas likes this.
  18. Andreas Sep 17, 2017

Between the two the iwc all the way.
    one of my favorite chronograph designs under 5k.
    i like the new fortis cosmonaut ceramic though...

FORTIS_COSMONAUT_2.jpg
  19. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Sep 17, 2017

And back on topic. The model you have shown would appear to be the Fortis Aviatis Daybreaker Recon Chronograph Alarm & GMT function (pauses for breath) and to me it's just far too cluttered and complicated. You'd need a good hour to reset it if you even let it run down :confused: It's also about 2 - 3 times the price of the IWC from what I can gather.

The IWC I presume you are considering is the "Petit Prince" and seems a lot more sensible/less complex and can be picked up for less than $4k in pretty much as new condition.

IWC-Pilots-Watch-Chronograph-3777-22.jpg

Or perhaps a better option would one of the less complex Fortis chronographs as @Andreas suggested ;)

Smoothness and alam like this.
  20. tfjordan Sep 17, 2017

I'm bias also because I also have a pretty new IWC Mark XVIII Petit Prince and it's one of my favorite watches including Rokex and Omega. Your talking two totally difference price points, but the IWC quality is incredible (mine also runs within COSC). I never owned a pilot and have never even had an interest until I saw the blue dial IWC and the 40mm dimensions.

With all that said, I think Fortis is an underrated brand. Very well made and great value. I'd put it in the value prop range of Swiss brand Oris, which I've owned and a lot of watch for the money.

If you want a more contemporary take on a pilot, I'd recommend Damasko. It's German and around same price point as Fortis.

The simplicity of a pilot is almost intriguing, which is totally counterintuitive, but somehow it just works. I also like the fact they're stealthy and not flashy. Even a $3K+ IWC doesn't draw attention.

Highly recommend a pilot in the rotation, especially if you want something to balance out some chronic and divers. Versatility-wise, can go jeans to tux with the right pilot, no problem. IMG_0979.JPG

alam and Nobel Prize like this.