Forums Latest Members
  1. chipsotoole Mar 11, 2018

bay2.jpg Apologies for the bad ebay picture.
    A lowballish Sunday bid on ebay was unsuccessful a few hours back. I've since had a message from the seller saying the winner backed out and would I like to purchase. The seller has offered to sms me better pictures which I've asked for and am waiting on. This is probably a lot of watches that I'd most likely try and individually flip (3 of them) anyways.
    My instinct is that the constellation is an out and out fake . The bracelet looks wrong, the overall quality of the case metal seems cheap and the hands dial combination also looks wrong, though i have seen some with these hands...I'm not a quartz guy! . The grey seamster at the bottom however appears (from the horrible picture) to look about right for a late 60's automatic. The Lanco is also a nice looking and interesting piece that might sell for 50-80 bucks or so...The others apart from the Green one look like junkers.
    I know you guys can't really make out very much from this but I'd appreciate your thoughts.
    lot.jpg

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.
  2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 11, 2018

So your junk drawer is empty and you need stuff to fill it up ::confused2::

3. chipsotoole Mar 11, 2018

something like that. Where there's muck, there's sometimes brass.

cicindela likes this.
  4. WhatYourWatchSay Mar 11, 2018

That one does stand out in the bunch. Me personally, if it's a good price I'd go for it. Also that gold mesh bracelet might be a nice one too even if the Lanco is a bust.

I tried cleaning the Seamaster up a bit.

1.jpg 2.jpg

5. alam Mar 11, 2018

I wish more people would show up at my garage sales... :)

6. chipsotoole Mar 11, 2018

Thanks for replying. The seller is in France. I'm still waiting for a series of sms photos he/she promised to send if I was interested as second bidder. Given that it's taken so long I'm assuming he/she has had second thoughts. I'd have thought that grey SM would fetch 120-150 Euros even broken (if the movement was in half way decent shape). I have a contact in Italy who is Lanco crazy so I'm pretty sure I could offload that too...Though it is kinda funky . The constellation I'm assuming is a fake. Aestethically the green one deserves a place in my biscuit tin too. The others I'd probably just chuck.
    ...It's no secret that I go for basement bargains and try to make small profits to slowly collect higher up. It's easy to be disparaging when you've got all the money in the world to chuck at vintage watches or were lucky enough to be buying them 15+ years ago.
    There are however, often surprises to be had in junky lots. I wouldn't be so dismissive of them. So many people scroll by and don't take the time to look at the pictures properly. Last year I picked up a 6 watch lot that included a bust Girard Perregaux Master Quartz and a non running 50's Jaeger Lecoultre cal 478 for 205 Euros. The GP and the other 4 watches paid for the complete revision and (damn hard to find) replacement part of the JLC.
    IMG_3044.jpg

The blurry JLC cal E329 bumper on my laptop in the background was also another "lost" in a pile of Junk. Unfortunately the other watches didn't pay for it's revision....I couldn't give them away!

7. WhatYourWatchSay Mar 11, 2018

That's what I do too :cool: I'm working towards a Breitling 806 by making $50 to $100 on each sale. Might take a while but I'll get there.

chipsotoole and Dedalus05 like this.