Are chronographs worth it for you?

Chronographs just look cool on your wrist, 'nuff said. 👍
What he said. I have a Speedmaster Straight Writing in my collection simply because it’s a cool watch with historical significance, but I truthfully never use the chronograph function.

..but remember, these are mechanical watches, its perhaps better to choose with your heart instead of your head... because objectively the casio fw91 already does all the things and for maybe $15 or so, and yet its rarely the one we find ourselves lusting after (though im sure many of us own one anyway)

My GW6900 in countdown mode for when to turn the biscuits in the oven.
1000018092.jpg
My Speedy can't do this. 😟

Honestly, it's an amazing watch. Haven't changed a battery in years. Solar powered and sets time automatically from radio. And it's  way under $5000. 🤑

I never time things, but truth is that more than half of my watches are chronographs. Go figure.

Live from my wrist:

17248750475057189228128463472911.jpg

I personally love chronographs. They allow for some interesting dials although I must admit I don’t use their chrono function lol

IMG_3894 Copy.jpeg
IMG_3887 Copy.jpeg IMG_3877 Copy.jpeg

My collection started with vintage hand-winding chronographs. I still have dozens of them and I find them very appealing. However, over the pandemic, my taste shifted more to simple watches and I'm not wearing chronographs very much these days. I never really used the timing feature for anything practical on a regular basis.

I have a lot of chronographs in my collection but almost never use the chrono function.
When I have to time something, which is quite often, I reach for my Junghans 1/10th second mechanical stopwatch and have done so for the last 30 years.

Won't stop me from collecting more Chronographs!

IMG_20240829_095219.jpg

And a gratuitous Omega chronograph thrown in for good measure.

IMG_20240829_095759.jpg
Edited:

Chronos are my faves but my eyes aren't what they used to be and good service can be hard to find too. I don't think practicality is going to overrule my tastes.

20240828_184426.jpg

I think I will try an analog quartz Seiko chronograph. Should be a good addition anyway. Any movement recommendation? I would prefer something accurate and overengineered.

I think I will try an analog quartz Seiko chronograph. Should be a good addition anyway. Any movement recommendation? I would prefer something accurate and overengineered.
Have you thought about the quartz Ploprof 🤣

Have you thought about the quartz Ploprof 🤣
I mean like the movement itself, not in being able to whitstand water pressure that would smash me into a pancake 🤣 Ploprof is not cheap, which kinda defeats the point of it being quartz to test if I like a chronograph, at that price point I could probably get many handwound chronos and service them a few times. It's also humongous. I would say even my Seiko Monster is oversized. I prefer 35-39 mm. Thickness is also a factor. The thicker it is the more I seem to bump it into stuff and consequently baby it if it's a nice watch - also making sure people don't bump into it by placing my hand in an awkward way 😁

If you ever see a guy with a vintage Seiko and he's putting his elbow to the side and his palm near his chest, it could be me. 😁 Does anyone else do that when you see careless strangers bumping into each other?

Totally worth it, and my favorite complication to boot... manual wind makes it even better.

My GW6900 in countdown mode for when to turn the biscuits in the oven.
1000018092.jpg
My Speedy can't do this. 😟

Honestly, it's an amazing watch. Haven't changed a battery in years. Solar powered and sets time automatically from radio. And it's  way under $5000. 🤑
Have to agree...
been wearing the absolute shit out of my M5510U.

Most accurate piece I own... and for $90 it kinda can't be beat.

1000003782.jpg

For my personal uses, a chronograph is more practical than other complications except some of the calendar complications (e.g. GMT, moonphase, world timer).