Forums Latest Members
  1. Cannonical Feb 20, 2021

Hello to the forum! I've absorbed this collective's (occasionally curmudgeonly) advice for years and believe it's time to contribute. After collecting and tinkering for over a decade I moved to the UK to study Horology. Unfortunately, the global health crisis torpedoed those plans. Now back in Toronto, I'm doing everything I can to stay in the industry.

Here's my well worn Aero II, a Unitas pilot from the from the forum's own Archer. Al, she's on the third strap and still going strong!

IMG_0984 (1).JPG
  2. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Feb 20, 2021

What a cool watch and story behind it, you (and the watch) already feel like part of the OF family :)

Welcome!

Cannonical likes this.
  3. amcclell Feb 20, 2021

Nice watch and congrats on your first post. Did you get started in your studies, at all? It's too bad there are no programs left in Canada. My niece was one of the last to graduate from the college program in Trois Rivieres before it shut down. She entered the industry at a great time - her employer has sent her to a number of specialized manufacturer training courses.

Cannonical likes this.
  4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 20, 2021

Is that one of the Archer Watches that I accidentally found the Facebook page for the other day?

Cannonical, apsm100 and cvalue13 like this.
  5. JwRosenthal Feb 20, 2021

Welcome to the forum! I thought @Archer only did custom builds like this for his special clients
    F0D48959-D486-4BB0-89F9-CFF40EC42E62.jpeg

Cannonical, apsm100 and Foo2rama like this.
  6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 20, 2021

Nice and welcome mate, haven’t seen one of these for quite some time, guessing it runs pretty well considering where it comes from. More affordable than a HODINKEE desk clock too :thumbsup:

Cannonical likes this.
  7. Faz Feb 20, 2021

I remember when @Archer introduced his watches...already a 'few' years ago! Does he still make them?

Cannonical likes this.
  8. Cannonical Feb 20, 2021

Yes I was in the first year of the BA horology program at Birmingham City University. I'll say, the program is more focused on clocks and research, but it was a trial by fire from watchmaker's lathes to CAD. Sad to hear the Quebec school is closed, it was one of the programs I looked at initially and considered for next year.

9. Cannonical Feb 20, 2021

I'm not sure unless there are a few leftover. New high-grade 6497/8 movements have been impossible to find at a decent price. Unlike the autos there's no Sellita or other equivalent so smaller watchmaker's are squeezed out.

I bought a decorated 6497 two years ago for my own build and am glad I did. Likely, the gilt versions were leftover and unloved.

Faz likes this.