Forums Latest Members

AR everywhere: a little bit too much?

1. valkyrie_rider Dec 12, 2018

Gentlemen

I have been thinking about this subject for a little while. The whole concept of AR is pretty enchanting: it reveals the subtleties of the dial for our delight and, for diver watches, actually improves the 'read-ability' everywhere.

So if AR inside of the crystal is good, why not have it outside too? Sure, it makes the crystal sometimes seem invisible and adds another dimension to the design of a watch!

Plus, makes the photos of the watch look great! What could be possible wrong with it?

But lets take a step (or a couple) back. The concept of DIY was pretty evident in the legendary Speedmaster with its hesalite crystal: got a scratch? No problem: polywatch to the rescue!

No polywatch? No problem! Get some tooth paste and call it a day.

The movement from hesalite to mineral crystal was targeting a less 'scratch-able' surface. Sure, mineral crystal is harder but still can be polished at home (add dremel and diamond paste to the mix).

But the whole point of sapphire crystal was to have a extremely hard crystal that wouldn't scratch and would last a whole life (unless chattered but that is another story).

My point here is that adding AR in the *outside* of a sapphire crystal pretty much voids the sapphire utility: being scratch free.

How many Seamaster Professionals got its soft AR in the *outside* crystal scratched? Would the same thing happen if the sapphire didn't have the AR coating in the *outside* of the crystal?

Well, even though I like the looks of AR in the outside, I would rather have the option to buy a modern watch *without* it. Some people just remove the AR coating by themselves, but in such case you paid for something you are not using...

Any thoughts on the subject? I would like to hear what you guys think about it.
    :)

Edited Dec 12, 2018
  2. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Dec 12, 2018

I agree with you completely. I have a 10 year old Speedy triple date and I think it only has AR coating on the inside. I have bashed that crystal against so many things and scraped it against brick and stone walls more times than can remember, often thinking "that must have left a mark". But no, after 10 years of almost daily wear there is not the slightest hint of a blemish on that crystal. Not one! So, score one for sapphire there.

Recently (2 months ago) I got a DSOTM and it looks amazing with AR on both sides. But I still wish it wasn't on the outside because I am fearful that I will scratch it one day (many have) and I'd prefer the option not to have it there in the first place. I have read that AR coating improves the scratch resistance of hesalite, but it obviously reduces it for sapphire. So, whilst a sapphire crystal with AR on the outside is still pretty scratch resistant, it is no longer as resistant as one without it. So, I agree, why not give the buyer the option to buy with or without AR on the outside. I'm very interested to hear how many people here fall in either camp (like or don't like AR on outside of sapphire crystals).

valkyrie_rider likes this.
  3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 12, 2018

This is a common view, but honestly you don't pay anything "extra" for the outer AR coating, so enjoy it while it's new, and if/when it gets scratched up beyond a point that you can tolerate, remove it. Personally I've had watches with AR coatings on the outside that never were scratched up, and made the crystal disappear...

[​IMG]

Those who want AR coatings don't want those who think they don't make sense making decisions on our behalf thanks. :)

valkyrie_rider likes this.
  4. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Dec 12, 2018

That's fair enough, it can ultimately be removed. Anyway, I certainly don't want to make decisions on anyone's behalf - this whole watch thing is all about one person liking one thing that another one dislikes, of course. It just would be nice, if perhaps logistically difficult for the manufacturer, to have the option to buy a model with or without it.

5. Professor Dec 12, 2018

Plastic eye glass lenses often have a coating that reduces glare and protects the softer plastic used for lenses from scratches. The coating itself can become scratched and if it does you can take the glasses to where ever you bought them and have the lenses re-coated, with the option of having older glasses tinted dark for use as sunglasses.

I've repaired badly scratched plastic lenses by polishing away the coating completely then polishing the bare plastic.
    On one pair belonging to a friend I found the lenses were in fact made up of an unknown number of very thin layers that could be polished away exposing a pristine surface underneath.
    The upper surfaces seemed soft and finer polishing compounds seemed to make make no impression on the core layers merely cleaning away residue of the upper layers.

It reminded me of the racer's helmet face plates with many layers of clear membranes that if oily, dirty or scratched would be quickly peeled away without need for attempting to wipe clean.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 12, 2018

The average Joe is not equipped to do the same with a watch crystal...

7. Professor Dec 12, 2018

I'm sure, but my point is that re-coating, or just stripping a damaged coating, may be an option, even if you have to send it to a pro.

8. drhombus24 Dec 12, 2018

I like the AR coating. Sure, it scratches. But I would much rather have a scratched AR than no AR at all. If it gets too bad, I’ll just polish it off. I polished off the mostly perfect AR on my first PO and instantly regretted it. I really enjoy the disapearing crystal effect.

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 12, 2018

Stripping an AR coating is infinitely easier than applying the coating. That is why my position on this subject has always been coat both inside and out, and those who don't want it on the outside can easily remove it. For someone who wants it inside and out and it's only provided on the inside, it's far more difficult and expensive proposition to get the crystal coated.

BTW although I see this "eyeglass coating option" mentioned often on watch forums for crystals, it's never by someone who has actually taken a crystal from a watch in to have it coated. I'm not sure these places would actually do this for you, or if the AR coatings they can apply to acrylic lenses are even close to being the same as what is used on a sapphire watch crystal...

10. absoluteczech Dec 12, 2018

Can a AR coating be applied to hesalite?

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 12, 2018

Not that I know of.

12. absoluteczech Dec 12, 2018

Thanks

13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 12, 2018

No scratches on my POC and I dailyed it for awhile. AFAIK it is double AR. There are different qualities of AR out there that I’ve noticed.