Forums Latest Members
  1. ikeo1 Nov 14, 2014

How durable is the AR coating in particular the Planet Ocean? Once there are some swirls on the sapphire. Are the crystals expensive to replace? How long does it take for the coating to wear out during normal use? Is it something that will have normal wear and tear or is it something worth protecting?

Nathawut likes this.
  2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 14, 2014

In my experience the old blue tinted coating was not as robust as the new colourless coating is. Having said that I have seen examples of both that are pristine, and both that are messed up, so it really depends on how you treat the watch.

Once the coating is scratched up, if it bothers you it can either be buffed off completely, or the crystal can be replaced. I have done both based on what the customer wants.

Cheers, Al

Hands90, rkim11 and ikeo1 like this.
  3. ikeo1 Nov 15, 2014

Thank you for the info.

Will cleaning with a cloth rub off the coating? What's the proper method to clean it without risk of rubbing off the coating. For example, is rubbing/cleaning it with your t-shirt a no no?

Nathawut likes this.
  4. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Nov 15, 2014

I use a fine cloth used for cleaning eyeglasses and lenses to gently wipe the crystals. Some microfiber towels are a little abrasive to the delicate AR and becareful of certain soaps or cleaners too. I don't see why a soft used cotton shirt to gently wipe the crystal of smudges would hurt the AR. Just be sure the cloth doesn't have dirt or such between whike you are wiping.

bb58 likes this.
  5. Lee CL Nov 15, 2014

6. Alex_TA Nov 15, 2014

AR coating on modern PO made after 2011 is very strong.

ikeo1 likes this.
  7. ikeo1 Nov 15, 2014

Darn.. The model I just picked up is a 2010 PO

8. George.A Nov 15, 2014

One mention here: if you ever decide to do some minor polishing on the case with cape cod, make sure to avoid getting in contact with the AR coating as cape cod removes it. Otherwise, I use almost any clean cotton cloth to remove those nasty fingerprints.

9. cuts33 Feb 1, 2016

Just removed the AR coating on a 8500 AT. Had a nice straight line deep scratch going through it that bothered the hell out of me for months.

Anyways, used diamond polish and got most of the coating off but on the edge near the hour marker you can kind of see a brownish-green hue if you look at certain angles and certain light.

It sort of looks like a ring going around the hour markers.

This appears to be the last of the AR coating but I cannot get it off for the life of me.

Anyone else seen or dealt with this?

Thanks in advance!

Nathawut likes this.
  10. Malik713 Feb 2, 2016

I bought my used POti and it had a few scratches on the AR. The boutique said they have to replace the crystal because in the past, they couldn't successfully replace it. They said it is about $200 for the crystal and that included the labor and shipping back to the service center.

bb58 likes this.
  11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 2, 2016

$200 is actually pretty good for a new sapphire installed and shipped

12. cuts33 Feb 2, 2016

Yes it is, but unfortunately that is incorrect information.

I've spoken to 2 boutique managers and the service center manager in Seattle directly.

You have to pay for the crystal and gasket which is $217 and for a partial service that runs about $160.

So closer to $400 all in after shipping it to them.

13. Malik713 Feb 3, 2016

hmm. Maybe I only remembered part of the quote. Either way, it is probably best to wait until it needs a full service to replace it. Unless OCD kicks in.