Forums Latest Members
  1. bh.keats Feb 27, 2018

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here. Forgive my ignorance. After a recent trip overseas, I went to set the time back to my home timezone on my Aquaracer. When I went to adjust it, the crown just popped off. It was still attached to a long bar. It came all the way out. The watch was losing time a little bit here and there before this happened so I was meaning to take it in anyway. I took it into a repair shop today and got a very high estimate. $685.

Looks like the repair man is stating that he needs to replace the following:
    Case/Tube
    Main Spring
    Reverse Wheels
    Crown
    Gaskets
    CMS

It seems to me like it's going to be a complete overhaul. Does anyone know if this is a competitive price for repair? I just want to know if I need to shop this around or if I should just have it fixed and more on with my life.

Below is my newbie attempt at inserting a photo
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    <blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/IDaCH"><a href="//imgur.com/IDaCH"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. bh.keats Feb 27, 2018

3. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Feb 27, 2018

Hi Brad, welcome to the forum. If it were me, I'd get the watch repaired/serviced by a competent watchmaker. I can't comment about Comacho Watch Repair, as I don't know anything about them. Good luck.

IDXM likes this.
  4. Donn Chambers Feb 27, 2018

That quoted price is high for a recent TAG. According to the TAG website, a complete overhaul by their watchmakers is $385 and comes with a one year warranty. Those parts being replaced are pretty standard, so shouldn’t bump the price up much. I’d just send to TAG or find another watchmaker.

Waltesefalcon, Jerseyhammer and IDXM like this.
  5. bh.keats Feb 27, 2018

6. bh.keats Feb 27, 2018

Thanks Donn!

7. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Feb 27, 2018

I'd stay away from watchrepairusa. As Donn Chambers has stated, have Tag do the repair and service.

8. sjg22 Feb 27, 2018

For this, Tag at $385 is your best bet, especially with the warranty!

IDXM likes this.
  9. redpcar Feb 27, 2018

Try inserting the pictures again.......didn't come through.

How old is the watch?So the crown is still attached to the stem which is attached to the watch? Did the stem actually come free from the watch?
    Below is a pic of a crown and stem from the web.
    [​IMG]
    Is your watch an automatic or quartz? The crown is a screw down type? Did you unscrew it and it popped out or did it pop out by itself?
    Just trying to figure out the extent of the damage.

This sounds like one of my nagging problems. My wife's daily watch is an Aquaracer and we are on the 3rd case tube. I partially blame the repairman....me.
    The screw down crowns can wear out quickly if they are over used or the stem is set a little too long causing too much tension (pressure) on the threads. Watch still functions fine but the crown no longer screws in place. (pic from the web of a screw down crown)
    [​IMG]

10. Perseus Feb 28, 2018

That seems really high for a thee hand watch.

11. 77deluxe Feb 28, 2018

+1 on it seems expensive

12. IDXM Mar 2, 2018

I have had good luck with Vintage Watch Restoration in Phoenix, but would go with Tag for your watch given their obstensive knowledge of the watch.

blufinz52 likes this.
  13. Jerseyhammer Mar 2, 2018

Agreed

14. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 2, 2018

My watchmaker does a complete overhaul on a Tri Compax or any complex chrono for $400 so that's very high.

15. SpeedieMan Mar 5, 2018

That price is reasonable unfortunately. I have a link chrono (quartz) that I wore for a few years. The outside looked like it had been worn (and run over by a truck). I sent it in via the local TAG retailer for my neighborhood and it came back with a new battery, case completely refinished, crystal replaced, and just about every part possible replaced. I paid over $600.00 for this service. The irony of paying this much to service a quartz watch isn't lot on me. But, its sentimental and I like the watch. Since I bought the speedie, I hardly ever wear it.