Forums Latest Members

Aqua Terra on my list......need advice pls

1. tegee26 Jul 6, 2015

Hello Omega fanclub......

First, I want to thank all those who make this forum what it is. I am somewhat new to this particular forum and appreciate all the contribute regularly. That's why I am seeking some advice here. After securing my latest Omega, a Planet Ocean LM LE, I am onto (hopefully my last for a while.....my wallet is shrinking) timepiece.

I currently own a PO, and also a SubC, so my divers collection is locked down for now. I am looking for a more dresser timepiece and the Aqua Terra really seems to fit the bill. The DeVille Tresor is my ultimate grail, however that will have to wait until discretionary funds are more available.

To that end, I need to get up to speed on what to look for in regard to the AT and where else but here on the OF will I get the BEST advice. I am pretty set on a 'blue' dial and most likely will stick to the larger 41.5mm case.

My questions are the following and any and all input would be greatly appreciated. Should I go with the 2500 movement or the 8500? Is the older style date window more coveted (I prefer the older 'boxed' version)? Are there any differences in the bracelets from the older AT 2500 or 8500; other than the polished center links? If I do decide to go down in size, is the SkyFall the way to go? Is there anything else I am missing?

I would like to try to find a gently pre-owned model to save some $$$, but I am willing to stretch the budget if needed. So any (and all) help would be great from the AT fanbase.

Thanks so much in advance.......

2. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Jul 6, 2015

If you're even contemplating a AT, I think you need to go for one of the newer "master" anti-magnetic movements... it's breakthrough next step technology. As for center links, this was an issue for me as well. But then learned the older version AT'S have all brushed bracelets. Figured I could buy a leather AT and pickup a brushed link bracelet on one of the forums or even from an authorized dealer.
    Let us know what you decide :)

Edited Jul 6, 2015
  3. jaymyms Jul 6, 2015

Definitely go for an 8500. Whether it's the Master or not. I'd lean Master myself. It represents the latest greatest technology, and leaves the competition in the dust.

The 2500 AT clasp is terrible. That's what lead me to sell mine. Feels quite cheap, which is a shame, cause those 2500 dials are clean.

4. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jul 6, 2015

There are 4 watches off the bat that fit your profile. The Explorer 1 the Onega rail master the datejust and the AT. Of those i have the 39 mm E1 and the AT Master coaxial. These are all perfect designs.

The AT is slightly less time tested but it is just amazing to wear ( I have the larger size. Look at my avatar ) it is still my favorite Omega watch and I have or have had a PO 45 mm 2500 a PO 8500 42 mm a speedy a PO LMLE and the AT. I can't think of any reason why to buy the older version instead of the master c not just because of the movement but IMO the design is better and the proportions perfect. It is also a very sturdy workhorse that runs under any possible condition and at 150 M water resistance will serve you well anywhere.

The rail master and the E1 are somewhat more classic, enduring, bespoke jewels.

The datejust fits IMO on the same category as the AT with a slightly more dressy edge, but still simple design and doesn't try too hard. But the AT wins that one for me.

I recently took my AT and an SMPC to Mexico on vacation. I ended up wearing the AT most of the time.

Lastly, for me, blue.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Edited Jul 7, 2015
  5. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jul 6, 2015

Love my Skyfall AT. The 2500 doesn't have the textured dial, and in my view, doesnt look anywhere near as good. In fact I actively DONT LIKE the 2500.

Go the master, if your budget can stretch. Or wait a bit and I'm sure they will start appearing on the 2nd hand market.

And the obligatory photo
    image.jpg

6. shutterlife Jul 6, 2015

I really like the new 8508 calibre. With the new antimagnetic movement, I think it's a no brainer.

Frunkinator likes this.
  7. tegee26 Jul 7, 2015

Wow...thx so much and GREAT input!

Looks like the AT 8500 Master Co-Axial wins out, with the larger 41.5mm case size. That's pretty much what I thought. But after buying the latest PO 8500 42mm back in December and having to flip it (and taken a major $$$ hit) for the older style PO 2500 due to the "case thickness" issue; I just thought I would run it up the flagpole for your thoughts.

Yes, truth be told I was considering the DateJust II, but on the pre-owned market they are running around $6k vs mid-$3K range for the AT. Plus I just feel the AT looks more dressier and classier than the DJ II; which IMHO looks a bit bland.....but I remain on that topic.

The RailMaster definitely was one i was looking at too, but again the AT just sings out to me in several ways.

I have to go into the Omega Boutique this week and pick up my PO LM LE (it was running 8-10 sec/day fast and they are attempting to regulate it for me), so I will try on the AT Master Co-Axial one more time.

I am pretty excited to finally get a more dressier timepiece. I have been wearing drivers for so long and pining for a different look.

Any other suggestions and/or input would be welcomed if I am missing anything......thank you very much again. This forum is great and you all are a bunch of ENABLERS:). My wife doesn't like when I peruse these forums!

Edited Jul 7, 2015
  8. chickenman26 Jul 7, 2015

The AT wears big for its size due to the thin bezel and large dial, so be sure to try on both sizes.

Nobel Prize likes this.
  9. DAM Jul 7, 2015

I have a 38.5 and love it.

watchme likes this.
  10. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 7, 2015

Spotted this in an AD just....

I might be able to slice a bit more off it too :)

[​IMG]

Alpha and Nobel Prize like this.
  11. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jul 7, 2015

I love the AT Skyfall, one of my favorite watches (don't know why I bother to say favorite, as I am at the point in which most all the ones I own are my favorite). In any case, I have the standard co-axial and prefer this as it has the boxed date window.

watchme likes this.
  12. tegee26 Jul 7, 2015

Quick question(s), as the term "Skyfall" is used so often when referring to the AT blue dial. Do all blue dial AT's fall under this "skyfall" category? Or just the 38.5mm AT?

Also, how many years and/or how do you differentiate the "boxed date window" AT's?

Just trying to gain better knowledge base so I know what I am looking for......thx so much.

13. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jul 7, 2015

Might as well put this one out there for consideration as well. Its dressyness is kicked up a notch. However, with the soft gold bezel I have to be careful about where and when I wear it -- usually just easy days in the office, and on special occasions. But because it's a gift from Mrs. Jones, it's special every day -- whether I wear it that day or not :)

IMG_1093_mods.jpg

Edited Jul 7, 2015
    Lou P and Frunkinator like this.
  14. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 7, 2015

May as well throw this in the mixer too....

[​IMG]

limo, BadAndy and Jones in LA like this.
  15. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jul 7, 2015

Agree on the E1. That'll be my next watch, though I'm presently leaning toward the original 36mm size, which I'd like to put on a NATO strap.

16. tegee26 Jul 7, 2015

Talk about throwing a Monkey Wrench into the equation:).

17. watchme First Owner - Omega Darkside Jul 7, 2015

The term Skyfall is often "misused" . Skyfall should refer to the 38,5 mm version with boxed date window but it is used to recall this fantastic blue dial

Nobel Prize likes this.
  18. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jul 7, 2015

Well, i guess you could buy several ATs. Might be easier this way.

watchme likes this.
  19. destroid Jul 7, 2015

Can't go wrong with the AT Master Coaxial in 41.5mm as long as your wrist is at least 6.5 inches or so.
    OK maybe you could go wrong with this blingy one:
    [​IMG]

I like mine with just a little yellow
    ATMC.JPG

Make sure you try the Omega strap with deployant. I find it MUCH more comfortable than the AT bracelet which digs into the wrist at the clasp as opposed to the well designed Speedmaster and Seamaster 300 MC clasps.

20. WatchVaultNYC Jul 7, 2015

The 8500 movements are housed in the new chunkier AT case, which IMHO does not look as good as the ones in the 2500 case. The 2503.80 AT with it's blue sunburst dial is as beautiful as they come

from somewhere on the internet:

[​IMG]