Forums Latest Members

Aqua Terra 8500 Movement Energy Storage question

1. ThomasD Jan 29, 2017

I've been the owner of an 8500 movement Aqua Terra Seamaster since November. I don't and I won't wear this watch everyday. I might wear it three days during the work week (say, every other day) and maybe if we go out on the weekend. I find that if it don't wear it two days in a row then on the third morning the energy is gone and I have to reset it. I understand that if it is "fully charged" through its mechanical movement, I should expect 60 hrs of energy.

2. w.finkenstaedt Jan 29, 2017

When you wear the watch, unless you're really active, you won't be able to top off the power reserve. It sounds like you're maybe getting the watch halfway to two thirds wound.

Try this: next time you put it on, wind it 30-40 times via the crown, then wear the piece. I'd guess this will alleviate any issues with power reserve.

Automatic movements work best when continually wound, hence the reason many will opt for winders.

3. cvrle1 Jan 29, 2017

My AT skyfall gets 32 or so hours of power reserve after wearing it for a day, which is the norm. I too thought that it would be fully wound while wearing, but fine folks on OF showed me otherwise. Power reserve of 60 hours is only supposed to happen when watch is fully wound. Wind it up fully (you will know it is full, as you wont be able to wind it anymore) and leave be. When I did that, I got 64 hours before it stopped.

Since I wear it every 2nd or so day, I got a watch winder, and it is great.

4. zinzan8 Jan 29, 2017

Well, not exactly...

Archer likes this.