Forums Latest Members
  1. nurseford25 Aug 29, 2017

So my wife's aqua terra has started to stop intermittently. Today it stoped for about 2 hours before she noticed it. She pulled the crown out to wind and it started up again. Crown was then screwed down. I noticed when she got home that her watch was about 4 minutes ahead
    of mine (strange because all of our 8500 cal movements run pretty spot on with each other).

Tonight I decided to fiddle with it a bit. Pulled crown out to position 3 and gave it a spin. Only to find that the crown fell off into my hands :eek:

I've never had this happen to any of my watched. Especially the 8500 cal. We are the second owner of this watch and the previous owner wore
    It everyday and it shows.

We have the first iteration of the 2nd gen aqua terra, reference #231.10.39.21.02.001

I'm guessing it's time for a service. Just wanted to consult with everyone and make sure it's not just a crown stem that needs replacing.

Thanks
    Adam

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    image.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  2. ConElPueblo Aug 29, 2017

The crown fell out of my 2013 FOIS recently and I haven't used it heavily. Probably nothing serious and could be sorted with a visit to a friendly watchmaker.

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 29, 2017

Yours came out - this one is broken. Replacing this is a different job to inserting the stem back in and tightening the setting lever screw on your FOIS. The friendly watchmaker would have to be able to source at least a stem for this, if not a new crown and maybe new case tube...

IAm_KY and ConElPueblo like this.
  4. nurseford25 Aug 29, 2017

Thanks @Archer, this is kinda what I was thinking.

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 29, 2017

Given the performance issues, sounds like a full service might be needed anyway. Keep in mind that there are a few issues with these movements - possible that one of the faults that Omega is aware of on these have happened on this watch, such as the DLC barrel problems.

Cheers, Al

IAm_KY likes this.
  6. nurseford25 Aug 29, 2017

That's good to know. Do you happen to know if Omega replaces the existing barrels with the newer barrels from the 8508/8900 movement when the watch is serviced. I was looking through some old threads on this and you mentioned something to this effect but I wasn't sure. Thanks.
    Adam

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 29, 2017

The actual barrel drum and cover (the parts that are DLC coated) are the same, it's the mainspring that is different. Unless your watch is an 8500G, it would likely get the same mainsprings it has now.

8. nurseford25 Aug 29, 2017

Got it. Thanks. There is no way this has an 8500G movement, its way too old.