Forums Latest Members

Approved watchmaker in Canada?

1. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 21, 2018

Just met one of my fellow cruise passengers who has a couple of watches in need of servicing and he feels that he's getting a raw deal from the store who wants to charge him $750.

Can anyone suggest a reputable watchmaker in western Canada (Alberta) or anywhere else, even Toronto or the east would be OK. @Canuck , any tips?

I know Al is very busy but I'll also pass his details on in case he can fit a job in.

Many thanks if anyone can help.

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 21, 2018

Now that I've done a good deed, I'm off to have a nice cold beer, temp here in Tournon is 86f/30c.

IMG_2437.JPG

Kmart, UncleBuck, Uniqez and 2 others like this.
  3. kilofinal Jun 21, 2018

I have dealt with Shane Ede of Toronto Watch Repair. Shane is highly recommended and extremely knowledgeable.
    torontowatchrepair.ca

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 21, 2018

Since this is posted in the open forum, can you tell us what brand the watches are?

$750 may be a complete rip-off, completely reasonable, or very cheap depending on the watch and the scope of work involved...

5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 21, 2018

The first one is a vintage Geneve, probably requires a service but not much info beyond that.
    I think the second one is a Seamaster chrono, he said he pressed the wrong button and it seemed to lock up.

As we're in southern France and the subject watches are in Alberta I have to rely on his memory.

I just wanted to get some idea of watchmakers he could approach as he is one of the many people on the planet who have no idea about the things that are normal to us WIS types.

Here's a beer I had for you guys last night :D.

IMG_2446.JPG

Kmart, UncleBuck, Alpha and 7 others like this.
  6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 21, 2018

Seems Iike I've also seen that same look on your face on a certain Scotsman when ever he is in France too. ;)

Alpha and JimInOz like this.
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 21, 2018

Is he suggesting that $750 is a raw deal to service 2 watches? If so, don't bother passing on my information. ;)

STANDY likes this.
  8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 21, 2018

Just the one watch Al (the chrono). As he's uneducated, I just want to point him in the right direction so he doesn't end up getting shafted and a sub-standard job.

I'm basically operating by remote control so all I can do is guide him to the source and let him make $ decisions.

9. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jun 21, 2018

I've heard Prime Time in BC is good to work with, though I havent used them myself.

10. rkman11 Jun 21, 2018

Years back I had several good transactions with German Watchmaker in Vancouver.
    (That’s the name of his company)

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 21, 2018

Although to my knowledge I've not had a watch in my shop that has been serviced by this establishment, his watches, service, and attitude are not well regarded on the Canadian Watch Collector forums...unfortunately I can't link to the thread as you have to be a member to read it, but there are multiple reports of dissatisfaction with his service...one example:

"WARNING! I have used PrimeTime with very unhappy results. He broke my VC automatic and just dumped it back in my lap :-( "

Proceed with caution...

oddboy likes this.
  12. Canuck Jun 21, 2018

In Vancouver, there is the firm founded by Otto Friedl (now deceased). Last I heard the business is now run by his daughter and son in law. Back in the day, Friedl had the repair franchise for many prominent Swiss Watch firms. Whether that is still the case, I don’t know. Might warrant some research. Or maybe someone can comment.

oddboy likes this.
  13. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jun 21, 2018