Forums Latest Members
  1. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 23, 2015

'afternoon gents,

I was curious to know how one goes about getting a watch, notably a vintage watch, appraised for insurance?

I know of one place in NYC that has been mentioned here before, but NYC is not all that convenient for me.

Are there other ways to get a vintage watch appraised 'officially' or formally?

Thanks!

J

2. repoman Mar 23, 2015

FWIW, I am insured through Traveler's, and they did not require appraisas if the piece is under $25kl. I provided them a copy of my sales receipts on modern pieces, and my estimate on vintage (and of course, model/serial#, etc.). Since you are paying anywhere from 1% - 2% annually based on the insured amount, they don't really care how much you insure it for, up to $25k per item, after that you have to provide a current appraisal. Might want to check them out, it was really simple, surprisingly.

3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 23, 2015

Thank you sir! Most of my pieces are vintage and therefore no receipts. I will check them out along with some others.

As far as estimates on the vintage pieces, is that *my estimates? They didnt require something independent?

4. repoman Mar 24, 2015

correct, your estimates... put down any number you want, up to $25k. The incentive for not over estimating the worth of your pieces is that you are going to pay about 1.5% of that estimate, per year, for the insurance policy. Also on the plus side of Traveler's, you are covered for theft, damage, and "mysterious disappearance". About the only way you aren't covered for loss, is if you admit you smashed your watch with a hammer in a fit of rage.

If you combine your personal articles policy with a Traveler's home owners policy, the rates come down. That's what I do.

citizenrich likes this.
  5. Lesterfield Sep 7, 2016

Oddboy,
    Can I ask what is the place in NYC that you know of for appraising vintage Omegas?
    Thanks very much,
    Les

6. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Sep 7, 2016

I had the same experience with my insurance company, USAA.

They said an appraisal is not necessary; my premium is based on the value of my choosing; for me, that's what I believe to be the vintage watch's replacement value.

efauser and Mad Dog like this.
  7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 7, 2016

Not mine...Will only insure vs appraisal cert from an acceptable firm and/or sales receipts. I have used customs paperwork (I always insist on the true purchase value), sales receipts and correspondence. Plus I need to prove they are in a fireproof safe or safe deposit box. Right now I'm insured for purchase value only.

8. Clibka Sep 7, 2016

My anecdotal experience is roughly the same. I look for comps and self appraise the value, then venture over to a jeweler friend and have him put on his letterhead my appraisal, the insurance is a separate policy attached to my homeowners policy. They gave no issue with this method.

9. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Sep 7, 2016

I don't recall the name, but I think @Nobel Prize might know.m

10. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Sep 7, 2016

Aaron Faber? not sure if he just does appraisals but he does authenticate.

11. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Sep 7, 2016

Cool beans...I need to call USAA regarding this...thanks for the reminder, dude. :thumbsup:

dougiedude and Nobel Prize like this.
  12. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Sep 7, 2016

You can do it all online. I was able to attach photos of the serial numbers and the dial side so there's no question about the watches. Never had to speak to anyone, which is the way I like it.

tpatta and Mad Dog like this.