Forums Latest Members
  1. _Agemo Sep 12, 2017

The new Series 3 has cellular! This definitely changes a lot. Streaming music while outdoors with just one gadget on (that also measures your stats and has GPS) would be super convenient...

Trev and watchos like this.
  2. Euxinus Sep 12, 2017

I have leaked photos of the series 4, no longer is it a wrist watch but a pocket watch!
    apple pocket watch.jpg

3. _Agemo Sep 12, 2017

haha, although those pocket watches would have to have their heart rate sensors at an uncomfortable location :unsure:

To be fair, the actual size of the new watch didnt change...

Buckeyes#1 and Euxinus like this.
  4. sgrossma Sep 12, 2017

"Year over year, Apple Watch sales are up a whopping 50%. It has now become "the number one watch in the world," surpassing Rolex. "

watchos likes this.
  5. ras47 Sep 12, 2017

It's cheaper than any Omega, plus it has a little Apple logo on it. I have an Apple watch, on semi-permeant loan to my Starbucks barista. I see these things as designed for the ADD crowd. I cannot rely on a watch that needs to be charged daily. Once the novelty of my AW wore off I was left with a lot of features I didn't use or features that worked better with my iPhone.

applelogo1.jpg
    Riviera Paradise and Foo2rama like this.
  6. bovecHD Sep 12, 2017

blah blah. depends on who checks details. lots drink the coolaid
    :p

patrick1616 likes this.
  7. micampe Sep 12, 2017

Half of my watches need to be charged daily! And I have to do it by hand with a tiny crank!

ChrisN, noelekal, Giff2577 and 4 others like this.
  8. spiralkladd Sep 13, 2017

Just stick an omega logo and write first apple on the moon.

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  9. mikesspeedy Sep 13, 2017

Never had an Apple watch, Just don't know what to think of them. Some genuine questions for the folk on here.

1. How does an Apple watch fit into your life? is it true that you end up wearing it at the expense of wrist time for anything else?
    2. What happens with Rolex and Omega mechanical watches? Is it the same crisis that came with quartz, will we see an Omega version of an Apple watch just like we got Omega digitals and Quartz?
    3. Seriously where is this Apple thing headed?

10. any4xx Sep 13, 2017

I love my first-gen stainless Apple Watch and really can't see any advantage in any of the newer versions. Yeah: faster processing and now cellular. But the Bluetooth range is great on the existing ones. Today my phone was in my truck and my wrist got a phone call while I was standing about 20' away. That's honestly about as far as I ever am from my phone. And just how much faster do I need to answer a phone call or see a notification?

But... today is the first time I've worn my Apple Watch in months. My daily is usually one of my Seamasters.

11. Trev The Architect Staff Member Sep 13, 2017

The speed is a big one, running 3rd party apps on the 1st gen wasn't really feasible. Not having proper water-resistance is the biggest reason to avoid the 1st gen, IMO.

For an everyday watch, definitely. Apple watch logs me in to my computer in the morning, monitors my heart rate, untethers me from my phone for calls/msgs, pays for my lunch (this works everywhere in Australia), and replaced my Garmin bike computer. I'd still wear a real watch for meetings, special occasions, etc. The other casualty is a Casio G-Shock that I used to wear for doing work on bikes or outdoors.

Previously I was really keen on an Omega Marine Chronometer, but I've come to terms with the fact that it's not a dress watch and would probably see very little wrist time.

I was an Apple watch hater through the Series 1 release, but can blame @dsio for getting me in to them.

12. any4xx Sep 13, 2017

I'm not a swimmer. I've worn my first gen in the shower hundreds of times. That's waterproof enough for my needs.

13. any4xx Sep 13, 2017

Oh: and I do agree that every generation is better than the previous. But for telling time, taking calls & texts, getting map and other notifications, any will do just fine. Honestly, the "screen" is so darned small that I'm not sure what 3rd party apps I'd ever find useful.

14. Trev The Architect Staff Member Sep 13, 2017

It's more about receiving the notifications or reading brief messages from other services. Clicking in to a message for a 3rd party app is crazy slow on S1.

15. any4xx Sep 13, 2017

Aah. Okay. Honestly I've never used any other apps. I guess the simple functions are all I've ever felt the need for. Probably why I'm wearing my Seamaster now that my work day is done.

16. Riviera Paradise Sep 13, 2017

I often find receiving constant notifications incredibly distracting just with my phone. E-mails, Whatsapp (very common here in Brazil), SMS and I don't even have a Facebook or Instagram account:) I leave my "official" phone on mute/vibration and another phone restricted to family and my PA...if someone really needs to find me they can get through to me.

I think the AW is cute...when active, dislike the black screen switched off look. Kudos to Apple for achieving this level of success. For me it would be a living hell to have constant notifications on the wrist. I think a definition of true luxury is having the time to disconnect and create a buffer from the digital world. Can see the value of a fitness band / monitoring strap, but don't see that as necessarily having to be a smart watch.

Also never got into the whole Apple thing, very happy with my Vaio Z(Flip) and S8.

Euxinus likes this.
  17. italy1861 Sep 13, 2017

Plus U.S. cell providers are charging $10 a month (first three months free) to attach AW3 LTE to your existing cell phone number. I don't need a LTE AW for an extra $120 a year. Should be free, after all it's attached to your cell phone number and shares data you already pay for..

18. Trev The Architect Staff Member Sep 13, 2017

Yeah, that's a pretty scummy move by the Telcos. It's about what you'd expect from them. I'd bet they wanted more money and Apple had to talk them down too.

_Agemo likes this.
  19. mikesspeedy Sep 13, 2017

Sooooo if I have this right you guys are paying for the iPhone then the apple watch 3 then to link them both? If I have that right, that sucks.

20. Trev The Architect Staff Member Sep 13, 2017

You'd be paying Apple for phone and watch, then pay telco to link watch to their cellular network (IF you have a cellular watch model).

I'd only consider the S3 non-cellular model.