Forums Latest Members

Apple Iwatch Ruined My Omega Purchase

1. mgauss May 10, 2013

I already own 2 Omegas. I was ready to plunk down $3000 for a 2220.80 and now I see pictures of the iWatch. I am an Apple person, and once that silvery iWatch is gonna be on my wrist beeping and with 100 Apps and alarms and reminders, I just don't see myself using another watch.

Help! I was enjoying my watch collection of 7 watches.

2. ulackfocus May 10, 2013

Sorry, can't empathize with you. Electronic gadgets just aren't in the same league as mechanical watches. As a matter of fact, my usual reaction to another Apple product launch is ::yawn::. We own plenty in my house, but never see the need to run out and stand in line the day it's released.

Wanna do the debate about technology versus horology? :D

Central Scrutinizer likes this.
  3. ulackfocus May 10, 2013

Oh, and please post pictures of your existing Omegas. We like them set to 4:39, and the date showing the number 8 - it's our lucky number. Can you swing both of your current Omegas showing that time and date right next to each other?

4. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector May 10, 2013

Boys (and girls) toys yes please, love gadgets but for me the iWatch I just don't get.
    Luddite ? hope not :)

5. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member May 10, 2013

iWatch - yes please! I am a massive apple geek!

6. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector May 10, 2013

Moi aussi for iMac,iPad, iPhone and apps a plenty but watch :(

7. kendrick May 10, 2013

I like the idea of an iWatch and if one comes out, I am very liable to buy one. That said, with the current crop of commercially viable technologies - there is 0% it will replace a mechanical watch. An iWatch would essentially be a repackaged ipod mini on your wrist, with a host of apps better designed to its specifications.

Personally, I am crossing my fingers for an apple TV.

8. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member May 10, 2013

i will buy that too lol - Damn you Apple!!

9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 10, 2013

Well, only one thing for it!

The FS forum is over thataway ->

;-)

10. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter May 10, 2013

People use their cell phones if they want true technological use otherwise it is an expensive ipod nano on a strap.

Central Scrutinizer likes this.
  11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 11, 2013

Yea I'm a massive Apple fan, I sit in front of two thunderbolt displays each day have two macs an ipad and iphone but I'd never wear an iWatch in place of a real watch. Perhaps the iwatch could go on the right wrist but the left will always be an Omega, Rolex, or other cool mechanical piece.

12. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member May 11, 2013

you are talking me out of it.... Slowly!!

13. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 11, 2013

When I was first looking for a 'good' watch, I was at a duty free store looking at a Raymond Weil and the sales person was trying to sell me a piece, I said no, as I wanted one with the date. She said "you can always look at your phone for the date". What she didn't seem to realise was that same logic applied to the time also. If you are after a watch, get a watch. If you want to know the time, get an iwatch.

14. kendrick May 11, 2013

i was thinkinthe about this last night, I would definatly wear an iWatch or any other interactive technology on my right hand. Like most, I strongly prefer my dominant hand when using/holding my phone or any other tool. I don't see the iWatch as being the exception to this.

worst case, I will look somewhat like this... Well my wrists at least.
    image.jpg

15. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member May 11, 2013

The iwatch will IMO never replace a well made mechanical wristwatch. I'm a vintage omega guy at heart but have always liked old stuff - I like them because these pieces be they watches or others exude a level of style and craftsmanship that I find lacking in many modern products.

Dablitzer likes this.
  16. Lex4TDI4Life May 12, 2013

Every two-bit Apple junkie will have one of those dangling from their wrists. I'd rather have a unique conversation starter on my wrist instead of a common toy. But that's just me :)

17. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member May 12, 2013

I know he's still a pup, but he is starting to look like Vanilla Ice lite. Even the kids are saying it's looking like nothing is upstairs.

18. The GMT Master Chris @ ΩF May 12, 2013

Something electronic will always lack the soul of a mechanical wristwatch. A mechanical watch is a functional piece of art, electronic items are designed to become obsolete. I'm sure the iWatch (should it appear) will sell well, but it won't be replacing my watches any time soon

19. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member May 12, 2013

Then there's iwatch 2.0 then 2S then 3.0 then 3S and so forth and so on. Meanwhile some of us are happy to be wearing watches our grandparents and parents could have worn and are happy with them.

Central Scrutinizer and DLT222 like this.
  20. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector May 12, 2013

A small sample of some research I carried out on one of my pw's
    Can you imagine researching an iwatch :) -

Thank you for your email, which has been passed to the library to answer. I am afraid I cannot see your full correspondence with Lyn, so forgive me if you already know some of the information below.

In looking at the marks I have made the assumption that they are on a watch case, as this fits with their appearance and the fact that there is not a duty mark (duty was not payable on watch cases). The town mark of the leopard’s head indicates that the piece was hallmarked in London, the lion passant mark indicates that it is sterling silver, and the ‘q’ mark that it was hallmarked in 1871. The incuse mark ‘IH’ is the maker’s mark, and according to our printed sources the mark is that of John Hammon, a maker of silver watch cases who was based in Clerkenwell (see J.D. Culme’s book The directory of gold & silversmiths, jewellers and allied traders 1838-1914...(Woodbridge, Suffolk, Antique Collectors’ Club, 1987, 2v.) Vol 2, p. 157. This particular version of his mark was registered in 1869.

I have consulted various printed sources including Culme, Ian Pickford’s Jackson’s Silver and Gold Marks of England, Scotland and Ireland (Woodbridge, Antique Collectors’ Club, 1989), and Phillip Priestley’s Watch Case Makers of England 1720-1920 (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Inc., 1994), but I have been unable to identify the ‘cross’ mark that is also on the piece.

I hope this information is helpful to you.