Forums Latest Members
  1. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Dec 10, 2015

It was brought to my attention that I may have inadvertently offended some of the members with my recent posts.

Offending them two ways: by posting too many replies to various threads, and by including a link to my website.

1st offence:
    Recently after morning chores (feeding the animals, getting the fire started) and before getting to work, I decided to spend some quiet time here on OF, read more, and participate and offer my input to the members. Which naturally results in my posting in threads. If you happen to log in to the site after I have posted some replies (and no one else has posted in those same threads after me) naturally you're going to see my name listed as the last commenter. I believe this is a common occurance because I see it often, that being the same name in a string of recent threads. I didn't know that this was a concern, but it was mentioned to me and if it is a problem, then I apologize for posting to many replies to quickly and having my name show up in the recent activity.

2nd offence:
    Because this site doesn't have signatures or the capability of outside linking, I was putting down my website at the end of my posts. Why do this? For a couple of reasons, force of habit (I am used to sites with signatures) and to offer the EU based members qualified watchmaker services. Customers are constantly telling me how difficult it is to find a qualified watchmaker, and I thought I was doing a service to members here on OF by putting a link to my website.

Because these two issues were brought to my attention, I have addressed the situation.

Firstly by editing all my recent posts and removing my website link. Going forward I won't put down my website address anymore. As for the number of posts I replied to? I thought the very reason for the site was to have members participate? Is there a limit or recommended number of posts per time frame so you don't show up on the recent activity list all in a row?

I suspect that the commenter was more offended by my link to my website, than by my actual comments in the thread, so hopefully my corrective actions have remidied the situation.

Again, apologies to anyone who I offended by my recent activity.

Thank you
    Rob

ock2915, Tritium, mozartman and 12 others like this.
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 10, 2015

I didn't know there was a rule against having a link in your posts.

I didn't know there was a rule against posting too many times.

Can one of the moderators please clarify?

wsfarrell, Geo! and ICONO like this.
  3. Private_Doberman Dec 10, 2015

Personally, I was in no way offended by the link to your website which indicated you are a qualified Watchmaker, and certainly welcomed reading the advice in your posts.

4. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Dec 10, 2015

There is a rule on excessive cursing, dadgumit, but ...

A limit on posts?

Ruh roh!

image.jpeg

I always enjoy reading the watchmaking technical posts, yours included, as it is not an area of knowledge for me. :thumbsup:

Edited Dec 10, 2015
    Mad Dog, wsfarrell, Geo! and 2 others like this.
  5. alam Dec 10, 2015

offending by posting your business link? really? It takes more, a lot more to offend me!

I viewed your postings as very informative. Now, I hope you don't decide to take the ball and walk away to play in another court! :p

Edited Dec 10, 2015
    blufinz52, tpatta and ICONO like this.
  6. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Dec 10, 2015

Agree

ICONO likes this.
  7. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Dec 10, 2015

And "post storms" are pretty common when someone comes on and replies to multiple posts over a short period. I see it all the time, and do it all the time).

ICONO likes this.
  8. Traveler Dec 10, 2015

+1 on all of the above - no need to apologize

ICONO likes this.
  9. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Dec 10, 2015

Offended? I felt insulted! I'm currently outside protesting.

image.jpg

10. Traveler Dec 10, 2015

I will add that your mature attitude and the way that you addressed the 'problem' is to be commended :thumbsup:

11. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Dec 10, 2015

12. ICONO Dec 10, 2015

Is there a ruling on excessively 'Liking ' ?

ock2915, Tritium, sarir97 and 6 others like this.
  13. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Dec 10, 2015

Please keep the posts coming, we occasionally need some sanity ;)
    Business link not a problem with me.

Geo! likes this.
  14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 10, 2015

There isn't, but I can understand how it could annoy people a little as the rest of the site is free of advertising and it might seem a bit spammy, its also largely unnecessary as we can just give you watchmaker as your user title or EU Watchmaker or whatever so people know to hit you up if needed. Drop me a PM if you like and we can work something like that out for you.

We intentionally don't have signatures as while some people want to have them, really nobody wants to read them, whether they're watch collection lists, inspirational quotes or psalms they just take up vertical space and detract from what people are actually trying to read which is the content. As a design decision a sig is a pretty bad one for that reason, the person who sets it is the person who won't read it and the other people don't want to see it but are forced skim over it as visual pollution, and this only gets compounded on mobile.

There are some exceptions to that, like Bill Sohne simple and ubiquitous "Good Hunting" that he signs his posts off which are kind of cool but for every one of them there's someone who wants to quote Gandhi or Churchill, and no matter how profound their wisdom may be, after seeing it for the 500th time you've had enough of them.

But yea, OP don't worry too much about it, we still like you :)

15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 10, 2015

Interesting stat: On average there are around 1500 likes per day

Traveler likes this.
  16. PatrickJ Dec 10, 2015

I love Horlogerie posts keep them coming. Do not change anything you do. This is political correctness gone mad, mind you living in the UK I am used to it as nothing surprises me anymore.

17. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Dec 10, 2015

On the members page, we can see who has the most likes. It is possible to see the POSTS that have received the most?

18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 10, 2015

I'm not sure actually, its no doubt possible with a custom query but not a feature built in.

19. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Dec 10, 2015

Points taken, thank you for the positive feedback.

I will coordinate with Admin regarding some type of user title.

While I do try and contribute interesting posts and would like to share more with the members, right now I am writing for two professional watch publications (a magazine and a newsletter) and I find that the free time I have available for writing limited. But that's not to say I won't be putting up some topics from the bench, uploading and linking the pictures is the biggest problem, it takes so much time...

Thank you everyone, much appreciated.

All the best,
    Rob

20. PatrickJ Dec 10, 2015

We need people like Archer and Horlogerie here. I though we are trying to support independent watchmakers and respect and value there opinion.