Forums Latest Members

Apologies for the link only, but have I learned anything in the last 3 years??

1. McKinley Jan 15, 2020

Hello, guys. I am still a huge novice at this watch collecting hobby. I have decided I would like a blue dialed watch and have taken to the Tudor Oyster Prince models. Especially the 74000 model, which I know this isn't …..or think I know that, as it has the engine turned bezel. That aside, the seller makes it clear multiple times that he believes the dial is all original, but I am suspicious. My reasons are there is lume on the hands and not on the dial. I also think the dial and hands for that matter, look too nice for the condition of the case and bezel. I apologize for providing only the link, but I can't for the life of me figure out how you guys copy and paste the eBay pics. Here is the link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TUDOR-Prin...228070?hash=item2adef50d26:g:oRUAAOSwbSJeH0mgPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I appreciate you folks putting up with me and for any help you can give me. Also, if someone has a blue dialed Tudor 74000 rotting in your watch box that you never wear anymore, please feel free to PM me. I do have my 200 posts. :) Thanks again to all, I feel privileged to be a member here.

McK

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 15, 2020

SeanO and McKinley like this.
  3. McKinley Jan 15, 2020

Thank you, Norman.....if I wasn't being responsible and keeping my money reserved for what I am actually looking for, I would have bought another watch, that Seamaster, from you......I may be weakening though. LOL Thank you again for adding the pics. Am I learning??

McK

4. Huus Jan 15, 2020

I may be wrong but I 'd have thought a Tudor from '79 to '81 to have a "swiss" only dial.
    But just having a look around on Chrono24 and eBay I come across more blue dialed Oyster Date of that time period with both "swiss" and "swiss made" dials so I must be of.

McKinley likes this.
  5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 15, 2020

I know basically nothing about Tudors, so someone else is going to have to decide if you've learned anything (about Tudors). ;)

McKinley likes this.
  6. Dan S Jan 15, 2020

He's learned to say "Thank you", which is better than most members. :)

It's very hard to know which hands go with which dial for watches like this - there were so many variations. You can be certain that a lumed dial should not have unlumed hands, but any other combination is possible. You can even have lumed hands with an unlumed dial that says T SWISS T. If I had to speculate, I would say that the hands might be replacements, they are very clean, and there is a tiny bit corrosion on some of the dial markers (e.g. 2 o'clock), which is consistent with the age and condition of the rest of the watch. However, if you are interested in this reference and a blue dial, I don't think such a minor issue would stop me from buying the watch at the right price. When it comes to entry-level pieces like this, minor deviations from originality such as replacement hands don't have a huge effect on value. And they certainly are a good fit for the watch.

Edited Jan 15, 2020
    JohnLy and McKinley like this.
  7. slique12 Jan 15, 2020

Don't know much about this reference but the hands are certainly newer replacements (even if they are the correct style).

McKinley and Dan S like this.
  8. Redadmiral2 Jan 16, 2020

Looks like a Rolex air king

McKinley likes this.
  9. McKinley Jan 16, 2020

Thank you, everyone, for your responses. So, I am wrong and the dial is original? That being original, would be important to me. Does anyone want to put a value on the watch? Thanks again for all the help, guys.

McK

10. Dan S Jan 16, 2020

I just did a quick search for SOLD examples using the eBay advanced search, and there are dozens of good comps there to guide you.

McKinley likes this.
  11. McKinley Jan 16, 2020

Thank you, good idea!! Duh, LOL, why didn't I think of that? I am still kinda hoping a member will PM me that he has one he has out-grown, and make me an offer.

McK

Edited Jan 16, 2020