Forums Latest Members

Apollo XI 1980 white gold dial mod, aka "Silver Speedy" thread

1. Skyblue44 Jan 29, 2017

Hello everyone.

I haven't posted much on the forum so far, but I am as much of an Omega fan (all Speedmaster so far), and I guess this is my way of saying hello to you.

I have this standard 3570.50 Moonwatch modded with a white gold dial that I call the "Silver Speedy". I added black baton hands to it, slightly different from the original black "stick hands".

This was after I had read this posting (http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/bu...s-422278.html#/topics/422278?page=1&_k=64w52s) on Watchuseek and thought it was really beautiful, so when the chance came, I went ahead with the conversion.

My understanding based on Moonwatch Only is that the original model, reference BC 345.0802 in white gold, had only 20 examples made.

Do any of you have the original reference or one modded with this dial? Although this watch is not "original", I really think it is as beautiful a Speedmaster Pro as any other, combining elements of sporty and dressy just right.

Perhaps due to the small number of examples made, I don't see this mod as often as the Mitsukoshi or Japan Racing dial as much, and would like to hear from you.

Please share your pictures, strap combinations, or any interesting experiences with it!

Here is mine to start:

20170129_172322.jpg
    20161001_133550.jpg
    Together with my Italian Albino mod:
    20161002_152826.jpg

rob09, imageWIS, GregH and 14 others like this.
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 29, 2017

I did some research into that dial a month ago. It was available from Omega with no restrictions for the same price as a regular dial. I think it's less common to see the white gold dial as no one really knew about it due to rarity and age.

3. Faz Jan 29, 2017

Very handsome Speedmaster..:thumbsup:

Skyblue44 likes this.
  4. kilofinal Jan 29, 2017

that turned out really nice.

5. night0wl Jan 29, 2017

Looks very nice. I keep leaning towards finding a speedy pro to mod like this.

6. munichblue Jan 30, 2017

The dial is a real beauty but I'm not too fond of modded watches.

7. pascs Jan 30, 2017

I think it looks great and very nice dial

I'm wearing this one today

[​IMG]

8. Skyblue44 Jan 30, 2017

Very nice!

Love the chronometer dial. Where is the bezel from?

pascs likes this.
  9. Skyblue44 Jan 30, 2017

Yes, the real Mccoy is preferred most of the time, but unfortunately cost is a factor.

For this one though, I like it better than the original model with the stick hands. I wish Omega would issue a modern version that looks like this.

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 30, 2017

1997 broadarrow replica (that's what the watch is called it's a real omega)

11. Bienne2998 Jan 30, 2017

At usual I am not a big fan from modifications because I am mostly into vintage.
    But I couldn't resist on these cool dials. I have a silver one that is a mod from Watchco. I really like it's look.
    TOP.jpg

And this one is also on a base from a Watch I bought from Watchco. It was quite difficult to source the strap (from new Snoopy) and the cool hands. The inspiration for this one came from here:
    https://www.fratellowatches.com/speedy-tuesday-shane-custom-speedmaster-paramedic/

TOP.jpg

CPRwatch, ras47, CTS-V and 4 others like this.
  12. BenjaminT Jan 30, 2017

Congratulations to this wonderful mod. Although I am usually not in favour of mods - this white gold - some people say rhodium - dial is simply gorgeous.

However I have one question to the experts regardig this dial:
    I have seen three different versions of nearly the same dial.
    - Yours is what I call "low swiss-made, long index". It is on sale from an ebay seller at the moment as well.
    - Then there is the "low swiss-made, short index" version with the indexes on the subdials not extending to the flat bottom part of the subdials, like [​IMG]
    - And finally there is one version with "high swiss-made, short index"
    like this:
    [​IMG]

In another forum I have seen this version also in a steel cased speedy.

So my question is: Why would one (omega) have 3 version of virtually the same dial for a watch with a production run of 20 pieceses?

Looking forward to any explanations
    Benjamin

13. Skyblue44 Jan 30, 2017

Wow. I did not notice what you pointed about the length of the sub-dial index before. Good eye.

According to Moonwatch Only, this Rhodium dial could be fitted as an option for regular Speedmaster Pros, but Moonwatch Only also states that it is remarkable that we do not see more of them.

I also noticed that the 60 marker on the 9 o'clock subdial on the dial with "Swiss Made" inside the minute track is printed across the subdial's step border, whereas the dial with "Swiss Made" on the outside of the track has the 60 marker on the same subdial printed right on the border of the subdial's step.

Anyway, back to your question, I guess it would make sense that Omega would make different versions of this dial if some were spares for the 1980 white gold LE, and others were to be fitted as options on regular steel Speedies.

But it is indeed a mystery that I have never come across an original factory steel Speedy with this silver dial. I would love to see it if anyone has one.

GregH and Clancy Eccles like this.
  14. Skyblue44 Jan 30, 2017

Great! I actually have a 3594.50, and it is rather unfortunate that it is named like it is a counterfeit watch.

pascs likes this.
  15. M'Bob Jan 30, 2017

Love modified watches. It shows off one's personal creativity. This used to be done with cars a lot, and everyone enjoyed the variations. It would be a shame to do this on a well-preserved, classic piece, but you rarely see this happen.

whitewolf777 and Clancy Eccles like this.
  16. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Jan 30, 2017

That base1000 bezel looks great with that dial. Lovely watch.

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

Als 27, Perseus, ras47 and 1 other person like this.
  17. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 30, 2017

It was available as a part from Omega for years if not still today. It was available as an option like telemeter and pulsometer bezels in the 80's on steel speedies. What's odd is the high/low Swiss made appears on examples of the gold 1/20. Either it's a later service dial, or there have been multiple batches made of that dial.

It was not a common option to get a watch with dial even as it was an option.

whitewolf777 and Clancy Eccles like this.
  18. Faz Jan 30, 2017

I agree that vintage watches should be left alone but I think there's nothing wrong to have some fun with modern Speedmasters as long as your able to get them back to their original state. The dials are out there. They fit, they look wonderful and these dials are such a great departure from the original. There are hundreds of thousands of late model Speedmasters thus not collectibles. So why not make them interesting?

whitewolf777, joerg and pascs like this.
  19. Skyblue44 Jan 30, 2017

This would be my opinion as well. The Moonwatch, due to its longevity and sheer number of variations lends itself to fun options for modifications that few other watches can rival.

As long as one retains the original parts, one can have the best of both worlds, so why not take advantage of this?

Clancy Eccles likes this.
  20. Seaborg Feb 3, 2017

Dibs !