Forums Latest Members

Apollo-era space-flown Speedmaster chronographs definitive list

1. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Dec 27, 2019

I guess everyone has seen the listing on MoonwatchUniverse of flown wristwatches on NASA-missions from the Mercury-Atlas 8 in 1962, over Gemini & Apollo to Skylab and ASTP in 1975...
    Getting my hands on the 3rd edition of Moonwatch Only book, I really expected a full & definitive listing of NASA-flown Speedmaster chronographs with their official NASA S/N numbers... as NASA/NASM/Omega heritage announced working on this to publish it on the NASA website.

Most Speedmaster fans have their own listing and I will start the topic with my low-data overview for Apollo only:
    so no Speedmaster specifications nor NASA numbers for now

1967 Apollo 1

Gus Grissom , Edward White , Roger Chaffee L= Speedmaster
    1968 Apollo 7
    Walter Schirra L= Speedmaster
    Donn Eisele L= Speedmaster R= Speedmaster
    Walter Cunningham L= Speedmaster
    1968 Apollo 8
    Frank Borman L= Speedmaster
    James Lovell R= Speedmaster
    William Anders L= Speedmaster
    1969 Apollo 9
    Jim McDivitt , David Scott , Russell Schweickaert L= Speedmaster
    1969 Apollo 10
    Tom Stafford L= Speedmaster
    John Young L= Speedmaster ( L underneath spacesuit Speedmaster on JB Champion )
    Eugene Cernan L= Speedmaster ( L underneath spacesuit Speedmaster on JB Champion )
    1969 Apollo 11
    Neil Armstrong R= Speedmaster
    Edwin Aldrin L= Speedmaster
    Michael Collins R = Speedmaster
    1969 Apollo 12
    Pete Conrad L= Speedmaster
    Alan Bean L= Speedmaster
    Richard Gordon L= Speedmaster ( R underneath spacesuit Speedmaster on JB Champion )
    1970 Apollo 13
    James Lovell R= Speedmaster
    Fred Haise L= Speedmaster
    Jack Swigert L= Speedmaster ( L underneath spacesuit Rolex GMT-master 1675 Pepsi )
    1971 Apollo 14
    Alan Shepard L= Speedmaster
    Edgar Mitchell L= Speedmaster ( L + R underneath spacesuit Rolex GMT-master 1675 + 1675/3 )
    Stu Roosa L= Speedmaster ( L underneath spacesuit Rolex GMT-master 1675 Pepsi )
    1971 Apollo 15
    David Scott L= Speedmaster ( PPK contained Bulova 88510 chronograph worn on the Moon )
    James Irwin L = Speedmaster
    Alfred Worden L= Speedmaster
    1972 Apollo 16
    John Young L= Speedmaster
    Charles Duke L= Speedmaster ( L underneath spacesuit Speedmaster )
    Thomas Mattingly L= Speedmaster
    1972 Apollo 17
    Eugene Cernan L= Speedmaster ( L underneath spacesuit Speedmaster on JB Champion )
    Harrison Schmitt L= Speedmaster
    Ron Evans L= Speedmaster ( L underneath spacesuit personal Speedmaster 145.022 ) ( PPK contained Rolex GMT-master Pepsi 1675 carried to the Moon )

:coffee:

vbrad26 likes this.
  2. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Dec 27, 2019

So the idea is to get for each Apollo space-flown Omega Speedmaster:
    1. Omega specification
    2. NASA serial number (engraved on the leftside of the caseback)
    3. SEB number (engraved caseback)
    ::book::
    For example for the commander of the May 1969 Apollo 10 mission, this would be:
    Thomas Stafford = 105.003-64 S/N 27 and SEB 12100039-001

3. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Dec 28, 2019

This is a very delicate topic and when contacting the protagonists about it, You'll run the risk of never again being addressed or contacted again :D
    Running the risk to become Persona non grata I'll publish my findings anyway, wondering why such a spaceflown Speedmaster list isn't published yet... it only takes a few days of "research"...
    The risk of "newly" NASA-number engraved Speedies already exists as one third of the NASA Speedmasters are well-documented with photographs on the website of the Smithsonian NASM;
    https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/chronograph-cernan-apollo-17
    :unsure:
    See You on the other side...

4. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jan 8, 2021

Flight Qualified by NASA in 1965 for all manned space missions
    Indeed important enough to be engraved on the caseback of the new 2021 Omega Speedmaster... revealed January 5th, 2021
    So I would like to see Omega bringing us the whole detailed story how this worked out towards distribution among the 55 Apollo-era NASA astronauts... or at least among the 20 Gemini-era astronauts !
    ::popcorn::

connieseamaster likes this.