Forums Latest Members

Apollo Astronauts (meeting a Moon walker)

1. darty Jan 6, 2017

My wife and I had the pleasure of meeting both Lt. General Thomas P. Stafford and Captain Eugene A. Cernan the last man to walk on the Moon. We were at a fund raiser for the Nevada Cancer Institute held in an Omega store. They could not have been more kind and friendly to talk to. I wore my 1967 Speedy and they both noticed it. The following day I went back to see a presentation they put on with a Q&A and Charlie Duke joined them. Here's a few photos.

Cernan-Stafford 011.jpg Cernan-Stafford 013.jpg Gene Cernan  & Stafford 1 PS1_4204.jpg Thamas Stafford1 PS1_4172.jpg Cernan-Stafford 003.jpg Cernan-Stafford 016.jpg DSC01999.jpg Cernan-Stafford 026.jpg Cernan-Stafford 017.jpg Cernan-Stafford 018.jpg Cernan-Stafford 020.jpg

marturx, Tubber, marcn and 18 others like this.
  2. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jan 6, 2017

Wow! What an awesome experience to meet real living legends and heroes! Thanks for sharing your experience here :)

duc and TLIGuy like this.
  3. gostang9 Jan 6, 2017

+1 !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jan 8, 2017

Still going strong in their mid & late 80s :cool:
    (John Young was almost 42 when he set foot on the Moon in 1972)

5. WurstEver Jan 8, 2017

Green with envy! Thanks so much for sharing this awesome experience.

6. darty Jan 8, 2017

We had a nice chat with Gene Cernan, my wife and I are from Chicago and as it turns out he is from the suburb of Bellwood, Illinois. He told us when he was a young Man one of his first jobs was hauling wheel barrels of cement out at O'hare airport when they were building the runways. My wife told him that she completed her Masters degree at Dominican University in River Forest, Illinois (now Triton Collage) and there is a Cernan Earth and Space Center there on campus. He asked us if we had seen it but we had not, it is on our to do list for our next trip home.

http://www.triton.edu/cernan/

WurstEver likes this.