Forums Latest Members
  1. Mahlerfan5 Jan 21, 2020

Happened to notice the Apollo 8 DSOTM has not been available on Omega's website for a couple weeks. Anyone know if this means the watch has been discontinued? I didn't think it was a limited edition but maybe Omega has decided the run is finished.

Screenshot_20200121-164746_Chrome.jpg
  2. Capt Cave Man Jan 21, 2020

Assuming it's still available in the UK...

image.png
  3. Evitzee Jan 21, 2020

This has happened before with the Apollo 8.....it will reappear eventually. It appears they have changed the wording of the message.....it used to be "this product is no longer available", now it is "currently not available". It's just out of stock.....be patient.

Omega has been coy on their plans for the Apollo 8 as to whether it is a more or less permanent fixture in the catalog or a short term proposition. They had some production problems a year or so ago but I think they have solved those issues. But if anyone is contemplating an Apollo 8 it would probably be best to consider it sooner rather than later. But only Omega knows for sure.

Edited Jan 21, 2020
    PhilF likes this.
  4. PhilF Jan 21, 2020

I think, with Omega's deciding to convert many, if not all, their watches to METAS standards, we may see some "shelf cleaning" of a lot of familiar faces. Hopefully there will be some reissues of some popular models with upgraded movements, especially those with the 8000-9000 calibers. I'm also surmising that the pricing will also be upgraded as well.

Evitzee is correct, it is usually an indication that they're waiting for restock.

Edited Jan 21, 2020
  5. EauTerre Jan 21, 2020

I can only hope they discontinued it to make a 40mm version :whistling:

lexieb007, cholack and PhilF like this.
  6. Evitzee Jan 21, 2020

I doubt that will happen, the special finish on the movement and ceramic case probably wouldn't be as attractive in a smaller, 40mm, size. And it would just confuse the market. They will make it like it is, until they decide to cancel it.

7. mjb Jan 22, 2020

I have one of these, in fact I'm wearing it right now, and yes, I'd much prefer it in a 40mm but 44 is doable, even for me and my tiny wrists.

I wonder if the size is a requirement to make sure that the case is strong enough to withstand normal use. Ceramic, although scratch resistant, can be fragile.

Back again.jpg

Still pretty, even slightly out of focus.

Dogmann, Lonestar, VjaceCZ and 2 others like this.
  8. T4Rdooh Jan 22, 2020

Wearing mine today too. I think a 42mm would be perfect but the 44 isn’t too bad with the ceramic case. I have a 7.5” wrist

E6FACC7D-A09F-4509-9B91-DC8CEFCEAE48.jpeg
    Dogmann, Lonestar, VjaceCZ and 2 others like this.
  9. scapa Jan 23, 2020

Went and tried the Apollo 8 again yesterday, and was once again struck by the lightness and balance of the watch, despite its size, and the relative ease and smoothness of winding it. It really is a beautiful piece.

Dogmann and McBeardy like this.
  10. VjaceCZ Jan 23, 2020

The watch is just beautiful. I only wear few watches from my collection but A8 is one that sits on my wrist regularly. Don’t waste your time and purchase one for you ;-)

FEBD30A9-9BD4-4EF1-A01B-B26ACA14BB8A.jpeg

Dogmann likes this.
  11. mjb Jan 23, 2020

Ditto. Usually I see a picture of a watch and start thinking about it and sometimes fall in love, then I go see it in person and I'm like "meh" and go on to something else. The DSOTM was not; it was and is just so much more in person, the skeleton face showing the movement, and of course, that really distinctive etching that (I suppose) represents the surface of the moon. And the yellow highlights.

Dogmann likes this.
  12. EauTerre Jan 23, 2020

As I keep looking at it and its fabulous dial, I notice that the main hands are hard to see. I'm thinking the hour and minute hands should be either white or silver.

Less impressive in a smaller size, yes. But it would probably remain attractive, and certainly attract a lot more attention from potential buyers.

Given that Omega alread makes the Speedmaster and Seamaster series in several sizes, I don't see how making a 40mm version of this piece would confuse people. On the contrary, it would signal that Omega actually listen to customers' wishes.

That's an interesting theory. I don't know if going from 44 to 40mm would be that dramatic in terms of material integrity, though.

13. mjb Jan 23, 2020

The minute and hour hands have enough of that lumi stuff and are polished enough that they're pretty easy to see.

Dogmann and EauTerre like this.
  14. Sign62 Jan 3, 2021

This watch is my fav out of the Speedmaster's i own. But i would like them to discontinue the watch. its had a nice run and they should move on.
    They can't put the new 3861 movement in it and engrave that movement to match the 861 it would make the watch over £10,000

Dogmann and Dedlock like this.
  15. Dedlock Jan 6, 2021

With the 3861 taking over, these older caliber watches ( A8's 1869) will have to be discontinued sooner or later (sooner I think), we have been hearing murmuring of discontinuations for a while, I think with the next gen speedy announcement it'll become reality.

Dogmann likes this.
  16. Sign62 Jan 6, 2021

Well the New speedy has arrived. Not Sure on the look of the case, i would have to see it in person and compare it to the old 1861's . it looks a little Rolex in shape which puts me off. Seeing is believing so to speak.
    Hopefully now the A8 will be discontinued, and it will become the classic speedy it should be. I Love this watch. I can see this selling for over £10k in a year or so. If anyone else has any other opinions fell free

Dedlock likes this.
  17. Dogmann Jan 6, 2021

Hi all,
    While I really like many of Omega's watch designs I have found many of them to be to thick to sit comfortably or look good on my 19cm/7inch wrist. But on first sight I loved the Apollo 8 mainly due to its unique dial and look believe it or not I didn't even realise it was a ceramic DSOM variant until I saw it at the Omega Boutique. Luckily for me on enquiring at my local Omega Boutique they had one in stock and put it on hold whilst I made my to it. On seeing it in person it surpassed my expectations and the fact it was so thin in comparison and sat so well on the wrist meant I left with it. Still 18 months after picking it up I still find myself mesmerised by the dial and case back views and it was easily my most worn watch of 2020. Personally I think it is a great blend of old and new tech and the best DSOM by far as it is the only manual wind DSOM and therefore slimmer plus the skeleton laser ablated dial is unseen in any other Speedy and the ceramic case and it's finishes are stunning. What's a post without some gratuitous pictures. 48187325186_3616ce0459_c.jpg 48187327311_b38b2cf474_c (2).jpg 49829486527_5d8b8cec1a_k.jpg 49864343498_493148fef6_k.jpg

Marc

Edited Jan 7, 2021
    SSGMT, bbp, Dedlock and 1 other person like this.
  18. Evitzee Jan 6, 2021

The Apollo 8 was 'out of stock' on the US website for most of last year, finally reappearing last month, and now it is again unavailable. Most boutiques don't usually have them in stock. The Alinghi version is just weird, imo, and probably not a massive seller. Whether the Apollo 8 continues in production remains to be seen but I think it's life is limited.

19. mjb Jan 6, 2021

I just happened by my AD when they had one, and in fact while I was looking at it, another potential customer came to look at it. As such a "rare" and limited piece, my AD was not willing to discount it, even for a valued returning customer such as myself, so I went gray.

Hopefully Omega will do a better job limiting production and sales of their watches to help keep up resale values. Because, yes, I sold the 8. I did OK with it. I also recently sold my Seamaster 300M, and got hosed. :eek:

20. CaptDngr Jan 7, 2021

To my knowledge, this is still in production.

The US online boutique often says "out of stock" for many still in production pieces. This is because it's based on what's actually in stock with them (the e-boutique), vs. what's in production and can still be ordered.