Forums Latest Members
  1. Dogmann Jul 3, 2019

Hi all,

I was lucky to have managed to pick mine up on the 21st June 2019 as fell in love with it on first sight and I have to say pictures just don't do it justice IMHO. What drew me to this version of a DSOTM is the fact it is much thinner then the others at just under 14mm achieved by using a highly finished and decorated 1861 which becomes the 1869 as found in this version.

The laser ablation and blackened bridges on both sides of the dial really add depth to the look of this watch as do the way the 3 sub dials with the small seconds being smaller and less intrusive then the main chrono counter dials as they seem to float in a 3D like way. I was also drawn to the racing style minute track around the outside of the dial which harks back to its racing heritage IMO. The use of yellow is quiet subtle and not overpowering but adds some highlights to the dark dial with just the Chrono second hand and small counters having this colour as well as the 5 minute markers on the outside of the minute track and of course the Speedmaster writing below the Omega logo and name plus of course the Tachymetre on the lumed bezel.

I also think that Omega do Ceramic cases better than most as they manage to achieve both brushed and polished finishes on their case work which I find visually stunning. Of course the well tried and tested and even famous movement based off the old Lemania movement works as expected and the pushers have a firm and reassuring click to them.

I may be in the minority here but I really like both the strap and the ceramic buckle and feel they really suit the watch well this may be famous last words but I have never had an issue were I have dropped a watch due to the strap having a buckle. But as I have now added it to my home insurance which covers not just loss or theft but also accidental damage should the unthinkable happen at least I'm covered.

Finally what's a review without pictures so here are mine hope you like them.

[​IMG]Apollo 8 box 1 by Marc Obermann, on Flickr

[​IMG]Apollo 8 goodies by Marc Obermann, on Flickr

[​IMG]Apollo 8 by Marc Obermann, on Flickr

[​IMG]Apollo 8 face by Marc Obermann, on Flickr

[​IMG]Apollo 8 back by Marc Obermann, on Flickr

[​IMG]Apollo 8 slim shot by Marc Obermann, on Flickr

[​IMG]Apollo 8 brushed case by Marc Obermann, on Flickr

[​IMG]Apollo 8 brushed & lumed crown by Marc Obermann, on Flickr

Marc

Edited Jul 3, 2019
    txtchfn, befobe, Cesare321 and 26 others like this.
  2. jlam1127 Jul 3, 2019

Congrats! That's a great looking timepiece! Wear it in good health.....

Dogmann and waveguide like this.
  3. zinterz Jul 3, 2019

Many congratulations. Great and concise review - kudos!

Dogmann likes this.
  4. jlam1127 Jul 3, 2019

Looking at the pics, I wish I picked this up instead the GSOTM Meteorite.... I can see myself wearing the A8 more than I would the Meteorite...DANG IT

Dogmann likes this.
  5. stevec14 Jul 3, 2019

Great review. I live mine too and it’s the thinness that I like the most. It’s actually quite versatile.

I wear mine with the black black cordura strap and it calms it down a bit. It looks good with omegas yellow nato also

The only issue I have with it is the usual thing with speedies in that it has bugger all water resistance. Other than that, I think it’s a great watch and it’s become my main wear ahead of my other speedies/16710 etc.

Dogmann likes this.
  6. MTROIS Jul 3, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to review this beautiful piece. It is definitely on my short list of potential Omega additions to the line up...

Dogmann likes this.
  7. Martin_J_N Jul 3, 2019

Nice watch, congratulations on your new purchase, wear in good health.

Dogmann likes this.
  8. mr_yossarian Jul 3, 2019

Not exactly my Speedmaster, but that's my fault. Had it on my wrist 4 weeks ago in London at the Omega Store..and I really liked it. A pretty nice and uncommon iteration, I know you are happy and for good reasons :)

stevec14, Dogmann and MTROIS like this.
  9. kelsey Jul 4, 2019

One of my favorite speedies, having not seen one in person my main concern is size on my small 16cm wrist. If it looked good on my wrist i'd order it already :)

Thanks for the review.

Dogmann likes this.
  10. JohnnyRocket Jul 10, 2019

Lovely pictures of the new baby. Enjoy - it is truly beautiful! I too worship mine in
    My bedroom shrine. A joy to look at and wear each day.

SpeedyPete and Dogmann like this.
  11. Nzhidajat Jul 12, 2019

Soo sexy! Love the pics and nice review! Maybe one day I'll save up enough to get me one of these

Dogmann likes this.
  12. pumpernikiel Jul 22, 2019

Stunning watch, cannot wait to pick mine up in just couple of days. I feel excited like a teenager :)

Dogmann and MTROIS like this.
  13. lustrousaurus Jul 22, 2019

I have the deployant strap on order from the OB, but I don't know when that's expected to be delivered. I also got a short clasp for it, darn these tiny wrists!

14. pumpernikiel Jul 24, 2019

Guys, may I kindly ask you for some photos of the alternative straps that you've put on Apollo 8 DSOTM? I have just picked up mine (so happy and excited), and I am looking now for some inspiration :)

15. Bushido Jul 24, 2019

I have mine on the Omega black NATO
    upload_2019-7-24_8-45-35.jpeg

16. pumpernikiel Jul 24, 2019

17. stevec14 Jul 24, 2019

I like my yellow, but that’s the best strap yet in my eyes. I will order one when back in the uk I think.....very nice and suits the watch perfectly.

18. PeterO Jul 24, 2019

I love the way the details on the face change with changing light. The 3D relief has to be seen in person to be appreciated! I have mine on a Kizzi replica NASA strap. To me it is much more comfortable than the leather strap, and the Velcro is infinitely adjustable.

IMG_3685.JPG

IMG_3755.jpg
    Peter

Edited Jul 24, 2019
  19. Bushido Jul 24, 2019

20. Soot1e Jul 26, 2019

After weeks of attempting to track one of these down on both sides of the pond, I finally found one in stock that the sales lady was prepared to take out of the display case for me.
    The piece is a stunner and I almost had my credit card out ready to take it away. The reason I left it behind, I have my name down for an Apollo 11 50th and want to see what that looks like in the flesh before I take the plunge. The 50th will be a good accompaniment to the 45th I have but will probably end up as another “safe dweller” whereas the Apollo 8 I can see as being a rotation wearer and maybe more exclusive.