Apollo 12 Alan Bean Gold Speedmaster at auction 10/22/26

Posts
201
Likes
243
Beautiful. I see one example of this reference often on r/WatchExchange - he can’t seem to find a buyer.
 
Posts
2,635
Likes
2,810
Beautiful. I see one example of this reference often on r/WatchExchange - he can’t seem to find a buyer.
Honestly, I find it kinda ugly. If it wasn't for who owned it, I wouldn't even look twice at one of these (they were astronaut gifts).
 
Posts
201
Likes
243
Honestly, I find it kinda ugly. If it wasn't for who owned it, I wouldn't even look twice at one of these (they were astronaut gifts).
I’m not a gold watch guy at all but I find this piece stunning. Not to own but to admire 😀
 
Posts
789
Likes
2,350
These have grown on me. Is it something I'm seeking out, not really. But...would I consider buying/trading for one if I came across one by happen stance, not out of the realm of possibilities.
 
Posts
2,340
Likes
1,460
Looks like he wore it rather than put it away. Never went into space I assume, so how will his name add to the price?
 
Posts
6,484
Likes
22,024
Looks like he wore it rather than put it away. Never went into space I assume, so how will his name add to the price?
It's a wide range. I'm guessing 800k to 1.4m.

Alan Bean was a wise investor, accumulating a lot of space memorabilia from other astronauts, in addition to his well-known art work. Proving it was worn is a plus. There's a lot of material from him, which tends to push down prices. But he was also well-known and liked. Besides, these gold speedmasters are in their own category.

The best prices for these gold speedies are for Apollo 11, 13 and Apollo 1. Schirra's was an odd ball, returning big numbers. But not so odd if we consider he flew on Mercury, Gemini and Apollo.

All depends on who shows up at any auction. Just takes two.

Edit:

I think my estimate is too high.

Edited:
 
Posts
7,067
Likes
13,040
we have seen this Gold n° 26 before on auctions...
But US Navy Captain Alan Lavern Bean was one of only 4 astronauts to actually wear the Gold Speedmaster BA145.022-69 during NASA training
.
 
Posts
1,604
Likes
2,719
Personally, I think it might go for a bit less than it went for in 2023. Speedmaster market feels much softer than it did then, even if gold prices are significantly stronger. It'll be interesting to see how it actually shakes out though.
 
Posts
6,484
Likes
22,024
Personally, I think it might go for a bit less than it went for in 2023. Speedmaster market feels much softer than it did then, even if gold prices are significantly stronger. It'll be interesting to see how it actually shakes out though.
Agree about watches. The space market has stayed strong though. I'm also very curious, especially as some of these items come back to auction.