Forums Latest Auctions Members

Apollo 11 50th anniversary moonshine

1. Snoopsta

Snoopsta Jun 25, 2020

Greetings
    I've always been a huge fan of Omega and speedmasters and have the moonwatch with hesalite ,speedy Tuesday, Apollo 11 50th anniversary in steel/gold and a Seamaster.

Ive been offered the moonshine 50th anniversary at rrp. Brand new.

I love the watch. It's Soo beautiful. However it's about £26k

I have the funds but would like to know if this would also be a good investment peice.

I've recently got married and plan to have children in the future and if the need ever rose is it a watch that could be easily sold for what I paid or even a little bit more.

I understand watches should be bought to be enjoyed and I enjoy all of mine but this is my first big watch purchase :)
    (Hopefully not the last).

Thank you

Japanred, hansmaulwurf and Lilcombs3 like this.
  2. Meme-Dweller

Meme-Dweller Jun 25, 2020

It's jewelry. Don't consider it an investment. Buy it because you like it and if it appreciates in value, sweet. That being said, it's a better "investment" than a shiny new BMW.

3. Evitzee

Evitzee Jun 25, 2020

It's not going to increase much in price going forward, imo. Most gold watches don't. It won't drop massively, either. Buy it if you like it and can afford it, it's a beautiful watch. But solid gold watches on a bracelet in yellow or rose gold are harder to wear in some situations.

Edited Jun 25, 2020
    kelsey and Snoopsta like this.
  4. kelsey

kelsey Jun 25, 2020

At this point in time a moonshine gold 50th at list is an amazing deal.
    As an owner I think it’s brilliant and for me it’s a grail (well the grail) and my favorite watch across all brands.

However I wouldn’t suggest anyone buy it (or any watch) thinking of it as an investment. I certainly wouldn’t have bought it with funds I think I may need in future.

Snoopsta likes this.
  5. abrod520

abrod520 Jun 25, 2020

I’ll give the same advice I do to all the investors: If you like the watch, buy it. If you want to invest, put the money into an index fund.

I get wanting to make sure you could sell it without taking a loss, I’m sensitive to that as well, but maybe it’s best left alone in that case. Maybe look for it on the secondary market and see where actual resale values are.

Snoopsta and SpikiSpikester like this.
  6. BlackTalon

BlackTalon Jun 25, 2020

Check out the FS subforum (not the private one). Demollo has a BNIB for sale.

Snoopsta likes this.
  7. killer67

killer67 Jun 25, 2020

Watches are not generally considered investments as we know with maybe minor historical exceptions like a 1518 or something along those lines. Modern watches will get you some money in a pinch if you need to sell it but, as a general rule, don’t expect to break even

Snoopsta likes this.
  8. s2000_driver

s2000_driver Jun 26, 2020

Modern watches are definitely not investments. In most cases they do not appreciate in value. When it comes to Speedmasters, the only model that has significantly appreciated is the Snoopy V2. That said, you will most likely be able to sell the Moonshine 50th close to breakeven. But then, what if you invested that money in the next Apple instead? :D Whatever you decide, try not to look back and enjoy the piece!

Snoopsta likes this.
  9. EricCsN

EricCsN Jun 26, 2020

yes and no.
    Vintage speedmasters are doing very nicely. and a select of other modern speedies.

But dont expect to profit as investment.
    However for me when I got these 2 goldmasters (as seconds), they have appreciated significantly

And moon to mars that i bought off OB

31955000pic1.jpg 363020XX pic 1.jpg
    Snoopsta, hansmaulwurf and kelsey like this.
  10. pongster

pongster Jun 26, 2020

26K GBP would be cheaper. Almost at list.

If i were UK-based, i would get that quickly.

Snoopsta likes this.
  11. sgrossma

sgrossma Jun 26, 2020

I think its a good buy if you truly plan to hold it for many years.

Snoopsta and kelsey like this.
  12. elpantos

elpantos Jun 28, 2020 5:41am

it´s a great watch that you will properly never regret buying if you look at it´s using/owing value (I love mine more than all other watches that i have). About the investment one never know, and that´s no different than with stock. What today looks a good investment, can be worth almost nothing tomorrow. (Even Rolex sports) So my advice is never to invest more than you could afford to lose. That aside a 50th. speedy in gold will properly always hold some value, at least for collectors.

Snoopsta, kelsey and stuart70 like this.
  13. STANDY

STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 28, 2020 7:17am

Love telling random strangers to spend £26K

Go crazy, it’s only money :D

Capcom, Snoopsta, 8100_RPM and 7 others like this.
  14. Evitzee

Evitzee Jun 28, 2020 9:02am

Only thing crazier is for people ASKING strangers if they should spend £26k.

15. Snoopsta

Snoopsta Jun 29, 2020 10:16am

Thank you all. Still deciding. Most probably will :)

16. jpjsavage

jpjsavage Jun 29, 2020 3:36pm

I love mine.

And if anyone knows of another one for sale in the UK please let me know. My brother liked mine so much he wants one too! Thanks.

Snoopsta likes this.
  17. stevec14

stevec14 Jun 29, 2020 3:44pm

Swiss horology have one at 30k. With a bit of haggling 27k will maybe be achievable. New by all accounts. Maybe that’s the one.

glad you are enjoying it. I bet you’d be the only family when different members have 2!

18. Snoopsta

Snoopsta Jun 29, 2020 4:02pm

I hear you. Was just asking those on this forum who know the speedmaster much better than I , how In demand this particular watch is. Only reason I got the call was previous person on the list didn't go ahead with it. During that time I purchased the Apollo 11 50th anniversary in steel.
    I take it then all others have been sold? Is their a register anywhere of numbers collected?

19. Evitzee

Evitzee Jun 29, 2020 4:27pm

There are probably still a few sitting around uncollected, waiting for the buyer to come up with the money, or to decide to let it pass. There is no register that has all the numbers collected.

Snoopsta likes this.
  20. Capcom

Capcom Jun 29, 2020 5:42pm

It’s a special piece and you need to get one on your wrist, only then you will know exactly why it’s
    so special. Go for it !

Snoopsta likes this.