Forums Latest Members

Anything wrong with this Ultra-Chron?

1. dragoman Feb 20, 2014

[​IMG]

http://www.chrono24.es/longines/ult...bpath=/longines/index.htm&manufacturerIds=149

I quite like it, but I am not sure about pulling the trigger, because it's been at chrono 24 for ages and nobody seems interested.

I find it cooler than a Monaco, and way more usable to boot. On the other hand, I got three other 431 (a funky Admiral, an Ultra-Chron diver and a c-shaped Conquest), so adding a new one is not, however you look at it (and specially, in the way my wife would look at it), a way to put some order in my collection... unless this could be considered an interesting example, and some of the other ones should be considered a goner.

So, is this a desirable 431, or just an indistinct one not worthy of special attention?

2. ulackfocus Feb 20, 2014

I'd like to see the insides. The caliber 431 was replaced by the 66xx series in 1972, where Longines slowed the beat rate down to 28,800 bph. Can you ask for pics of the inside of the case back and caliber? Or even can tell me what that serial number is on the outside of the case back - that would help. It's a replacement crown and not a watch to write home about anyway. I'm not even sure the dial is original from those pictures.

dragoman likes this.
  3. dragoman Feb 20, 2014

[​IMG]

The watch appeared in a Longines Ultra Chron and diver watches booklet I got when I bought my u-c diver, so I think the dial is legit. You are right about the crown, however, so who knows what is inside. My last supposedly unmolested 431 also had a non-original crown, and it was so messed up inside that by the time my watchmaker found what was wrong, I could neither vote in ebay nor return the watch (on the other hand, it was really cheap... before my watchmaker bill).

In any case, the "it is not a watch to write home about" was what I was secretly hoping to hear. I like it, but I'll give it a pass. Anyway, next week I'll have a date with a Conquest 291 date-at-12, so I better focus my efforts in better things. On this regard, if the 291 thing comes through, the poor old 19AS you vetted (and I dutifully got) is going to be the shortest lived king of my collection ever. Just two months.

4. ulackfocus Feb 20, 2014

Movin' on up!

dragoman likes this.