Forums Latest Members
  1. fatwabbit Dec 18, 2017

Hi everyone, newbie poster. I've actually purchased an Omega De Ville Chronoscope a few years ago from an authorised dealer, awesome watch that I love.

While I haven't had the watch as long as some, I wanted a daily watch that I could also wear without worry of damage (work in half office, half industrial). I snagged a Seiko 5 for cheap, but started looking at Omegas and ended up winning one on eBay on a whim.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VTG-1962...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

The dial looks too new to be from 1962, and the movement is a 601 as shown in the pictures on the auction. I suspect its a redial and my question is, are watches with a redial worth it? Is there anything wrong with it? Assuming the movement is in good condition, what (or who) would stop me wearing this?

Sorry for rambling on and not providing original pics, while I'm excited about getting this watch, I'm also questioning whether I jumped in without doing enough research.

Thanking you in advance for your feedback.

2. Shabbaz Dec 19, 2017

The dial is refinished like the add says. Is it worth it? For collectors a absolute no go. But mainstream buyers will settle often with a refinished dial until they discover it's not original. I think a 135.070 is a Geneve model. If you like it, wear it. Would I wear it? No. Cheers!

And for next time the forum will ask you to send pictures in stead of a link. The pictures stay and a link will be removed in time. Thanks!

fatwabbit likes this.
  3. fjf Dec 19, 2017

When you see a real dial close you'll realize how ugly redials are. Plus their value is much less. IF you like it and it is cheap, go for it. It is your money and your wrist.

mydeafcat likes this.
  4. Bumper Dec 19, 2017

To be fair, the seller does state that the watch has been redialled. He sells mostly low to mid range watches, prices are not ridiculous. Which means he works on volume, fast turnover of stock & a quick sale.

Case & Dial have been refinished, the latter not very well either.

See how rough the brushed lines look?
    upload_2017-12-19_15-44-32.png

Caseback is a little worn, though not the worst
    [​IMG]

Here's the part that should make you worry, only 1 movement pic & it's cut off so it doesn't show the case. Usually that means corrosion or pitting on the case. Movement looks like it needs a service.
    [​IMG]

Here are the rest of the pics...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

VTG 1962 OMEGA STAINLESS STEEL MENS WATCH

!!!IN GREAT WORKING CONDITION AND GET ACCURATE TIME!!!

DIAL&HANDS:

WHITE DIAL WITH SILVER MARKERS, and SILVER HANDS. SIGNED: "OMEGA SWISS MADE " IN GOOD CONDITION, DIAL IS REFINISHED, FOR MORE DETAILS, SEE THE pictures please.

CROWN:

SS ORIGINAL OMEGA SIGNED CROWNIN GOOD CONDITION, SEE THE PICTURES PLEASE.

CASE:

SS OMEGA CASE, in good condition back cover in good condition, SIGNED "OMEGA WATCH CO FAB SUISSE SWISS MADE ACIER INOXYDABLE WATERPROOF"

REF NUMBER: 135.070

MOVEMENT:

Original OMEGA SWISS MADE Movement, SIGNED: "SWISS OMEGA SWISS , 17 JEWELS

CALIBER: 601

SERIAL NUMBER: 30176454

BAND: NEW BLACK LEATHER BAND.

MEASURES:

Width without crown: 1.38 Inches ( 35 mm )
    Crystal Diameter: 1.26 Inches ( 32 mm )
    depth: 0.39 Inches ( 10 mm )
    length: 1.65 Inches ( 42 mm )
    LUG 0.71 Inches ( 18 mm )
    length w/band 9.25 Inches ( 235 mm )

5. fatwabbit Dec 19, 2017

Thanks for the feedback so far... plenty to learn in this world of watches.

I won't say that its a complete dud, just maybe not what I expected. Next time I'll ask the questions before actually placing a bid (thinking I won't win).

Thanks again, appreciate it.

6. Shabbaz Dec 19, 2017

For the next time. Just look inside the caseback for the modelnumber. In this case it's 135.070. Then google 'omega 135.070' and try to find info about the watch on the web. Compare this with your watch. Is the caliber correct, is the range referencenumber ok, is the dial and caseback correct, etc? And when this does not help, call in the experts. I always do...:)

Wyatt66 and fatwabbit like this.
  7. fjf Dec 19, 2017

Now compare it with the real thing and tell me what you prefer. The sunburst effect is not very visible, is much nicer in real life than in the pic:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sunburst effect (not the same model, but similar dial):

Edited Dec 19, 2017
    fatwabbit and Shabbaz like this.
  8. 77deluxe Dec 19, 2017

I think nothing is wrong with a refinished dial so long as 1) its a good job, 2) all parties to the transaction know that it’s a redial, and 3) all parties openly claim it’s a redial.

Sure it’s collectable value has been diminished but a good redial can be very cool to wear as a daily beater and it allows collectors with limited budget to enjoy vintage pieces.

Spruce, numero27 and fatwabbit like this.
  9. fatwabbit Dec 19, 2017

What I wanted was a vintage watch that I could wear as a daily, and then wear the chronostop when I needed to. While it might not be ‘authentic’ in a collectors mind, I’m not a collector just yet

I was hasty in this purchase, and need to be more vigilant in the next one

Spruce likes this.
  10. numero27 Dec 19, 2017

I don't mind a nice redial if I know it and if the price follows. The seller is honnest because he says it's a refin, but these watches are quite common, with a little bit of patience you could have found the same watch with original dial at the same price ... you can also search an original dial in good condition , be careful of the size of the dial and position of feet, they sometimes pop up on ebay

Spruce likes this.
  11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 19, 2017

Lots of threads on this through OF search. Not always a bad thing if done well and to bring a watch back from dead. Factory jobs are in a category by themselves.

Spruce likes this.
  12. M'Bob Dec 19, 2017

Anything wrong with facelifts?
    image.jpeg

13. fjf Dec 19, 2017

My point exactly. Your money, your face. I wouldnt do it.

14. dx009 Dec 19, 2017

The entire watch is a franken mess. I can't believe I once sold a similar Omega for almost the same price as this one went...:eek:

I have nothing against redials but they must be done well and only if it is required.

PS: I've said it before and I'll say it again. Stop buying watches from South America unless it's a genuine time piece or it is VERY VERY cheap (and genuine).

15. lillatroll Dec 19, 2017

I am not a fan of redials unless it is so ugly that a redial is the only thing that would redeem it or impossible to find a new dial. It would also have to be because the watch was a family heirloom thus worth keeping. There are plenty of good honest vintage watches available.

dan7800 likes this.
  16. Damo Dec 19, 2017

That depends on the individual surely?

If it is declared as a redial then unless you know what your looking at most wouldn' know unless it was a really bad redial.

Personally it' a no no for me.

17. fatwabbit Jan 10, 2018

Two watches turned up today, and I've tried to take some half decent pics of them (I don't even take photos of my kids, so bear with me).

The Omega turned up in a well packaged box. Getting the watch out of the box was tricky as I had to go through numerous layers of tape and foam to get to the watch itself. Ok, so its a redial, but I think it fits my wrist well enough. I was going to use this as a daily beater, and think that its still decent.

I bought the other watch shortly after the Omega. Comes with a scratched up acrylic dome.

Both of them have been keeping good time for the past 6 hours, going to see what the time says overnight.

IMG_4037.JPG IMG_4040.JPG IMG_4041.JPG
    Spruce likes this.
  18. GordonL Jan 10, 2018

surely the serial number for this movement dates it much later than 1962? As also does the Omega logo on the dial?

30176454 dates it to 1969 does it not?