Forums Latest Members

Anyone who knows anything about this watch?

1. GregDully Feb 12, 2017

Hi folks!

Google brought me to your group, nice to see so many people sharing the Omega interest. Watches are for me a quite new hobby, which started a few years back when I got my first "real" watch as a wedding gift. Since then I have only bought Omega watches, among them a quite rare Speedy Schumacher Limited.

Now I have a question that hopefully any of you (who obviously know more than me about this) can help me with;

Recently I bought my first vintage watch. From what I heard from the seller it's a Seamaster "jumbo" (36 mm) from about 1950. It's an automatic (bumper), rose gold on steel, caliber 332. The ref no. is 2493-8. The issue is that I cannot find this model in the Omega Vintage database and therefor don't know if it's just a rare model or if parts have been replaced/mixed over the years. Would be really thankful for any information, also what it might be worth. Thanks in advance!

IMG_4299.PNG IMG_4300.PNG IMG_4301.PNG IMG_6056.JPG
    Edited Feb 12, 2017
  2. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Feb 12, 2017

Hello Greg. Nice to see you on the forum.:)
    Is that your intro? That'll go down well with the Horological fraternity!:mad:

3. Willem023 Feb 12, 2017

Hi Greg, Welcome!

What is it you want to know specifically?
    Seems to me that you have done some research already yourself too: what might this forum add to that?

Cheers

4. GregDully Feb 12, 2017

@nonuffinkbloke Sorry, I don't know if/what I did wrong, sorry if I broke some kind of code here. Just heard of this forum and that I might get help.

5. GregDully Feb 12, 2017

Thanks Willem023.

The thing is that I want I find out if anyone knows this model. I have tried to google and never found any piece that looks like the one I have and as I mentioned I cannot find it in Omegas vintage database either. Watches are a relatively new hobby to me, and maybe there is some easy way to find out that I am not aware of?

6. Willem023 Feb 12, 2017

Usually, it is considered 'decent behaviour' to introduce yourself a bit, after which you might want to state the question.
    Have an avatar and all that.
    In general however, most of the guys asking for advice haven't done their homework. Since you did, the members over here might be a bit more flexible to help...:D

Try this site for more on your watch's cal and case
    http://naligazone.com/

GregDully likes this.
  7. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Feb 12, 2017

No... I'm only having a laugh with you mate. Nice to see you on here.:)

GregDully likes this.
  8. GregDully Feb 12, 2017

Sorry guys, I didn't know anything about the forum/group before I wrote (I am member of another watch forum with 15000+ members, where you act very "anonymous", if you know what I mean). I will take a couple of minutes to update my profile (which I created in one minute before I posted) tonight. Thanks for letting me know guys, appreciate that!

9. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Feb 12, 2017

There a nice bunch of chaps on here Greg and they have a good sense of humour. On the serious side, they really know their stuff and take the time to help out with information and advice. Nice to have you on here.

jrlmsla, Foo2rama and GregDully like this.
  10. GregDully Feb 12, 2017

Sound good! :)

I tried Naligazone, and like the Omega Vintage database the only thing I find on cal 332 and ref 2493 is this watch, which doesn't look at all like the one I've got...

IMG_6057.PNG
  11. Davidt Feb 12, 2017

The OVD is very incomplete with regard to dial styles. Models were often offered with a range of dials, some rarer than others, and not all of which are shown on the OVD. Furthermore, many watches have been redialed over the years.

GregDully likes this.
  12. GregDully Feb 12, 2017

Thanks David, that of course makes sense. Unfortunately I don't know anything about the history. I bought it from an AD, who bought it from a customer who brought it in for service. That's often the negative part of vintage watches, history is gone somewhere over these 50-60 years if the watch has had many owners...

13. Davidt Feb 12, 2017

Having a google search for 'Omega 2493' would've a better place to search.

jrlmsla likes this.
  14. GregDully Feb 12, 2017

I have tried to Google both cal and ref no without luck.

15. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 12, 2017

I google "Omega 2493" and a bunch of good info is there. The dash number is not important in this case and you can think of it as a label for variations.

Also try "Omega ck 2493"

16. GregDully Feb 12, 2017

Alright, that helps, thanks! I've wondered what those letters stand for (e.g. "ck"), I've noticed some variations of these letters...