Forums Latest Members

Anyone want to help me choose my first vintage Omega?

1. justsomeguy Sep 23, 2017

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 23, 2017

You can search on the below link for feedback for all sellers not just the 3 above in the below link.

https://omegaforums.net/forums/watch-seller-profiles/

I would go the constellation myself ( like the onyx markers and freshly serviced is a bonus for your first vintage ) but 3 nice watches.

3. wsfarrell Sep 23, 2017

The sparkle Seamaster (3rd one) is a sweet-looking watch. It would be a bonus if the seller has a service receipt.

4. Kali77 Sep 23, 2017

I think I would go with door number three... but a watch is a very personal thing and tastes obviously vary.

5. justanotherjose Sep 23, 2017

I just bought a Sparkle Seamaster cal 750. https://imgur.com/a/giWo9
    I am receiving it soon and I am really excited! Best wishes.

6. mikechi22 Sep 23, 2017

Hi there! Welcome to the club!

I have one completed project with your first seller, No Mercy and four more in the pipeline. He’s a great seller and an excellent watchmaker. Buying from him, you have peace of mind that the watch is fully and comprehensively serviced and ready for wear.

I don’t know the other sellers but I see that they have been members for a long time. You can feel quite secure buying on OF as everything there will have been thoroughly scrutinized. It wouldn’t be there if it couldn’t hold up to the members’ examinations!

So, I pretty much think you can’t go wrong with any of your choices! The textured dial one is Interesting and often not seen in a very clean state. Both it and the Day/Date one will likely need a service in the next couple years or sooner, so figure in an extra $300+ in your near-term cost of ownership. The dial on the day/date one is really cool and in great shape; I can’t tell if those are onyx markers on the hours, which would make it even nicer. Your Constellation does have onyx markers and those dog-leg lugs are iconic...and faked a lot! This one is bona fide and serviced.

I think I’d get the Connie! That being said, I’d ask him to switch the strap! This one too casual and the stitches compete with the beauty of the lugs.

7. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Sep 24, 2017

So you're down to the Connie vs Seamaster, yes? Won't go wrong with either but that beefy lug 344 is pure vintage sweetness.

Get that one.

(I've all 3 of those omegas and if I had to keep one and sell 2, I'd be shaking hands with the Connie and 750

8. kkt Sep 24, 2017

I like the Connie. It's a matter of taste, none of them are wrong.

9. Noddyman Sep 24, 2017

Any of those would be a good way into vintage Omega. I don't think you can go wrong buying here, wish I had known about OF when I started collecting.

10. cristos71 Sep 24, 2017

From the three posted I'd choose the waffle dialed cal 344. This one has the combination of a nice sharp steel case and seldom seen white waffle dial with Breguet numbers, which with its monotone colour scheme will allow for lots of variables with strap changes

11. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Sep 24, 2017

It would be the Constellation for me. The profile is as nice as the face. As are the lugs and I like the idea of a chronometer.

Also, I'm not keen on the type of sub-dials on the 344 and I prefer the date display without the day, I reckon to remember the day of the week if not the date, so that would rule out the Seamaster

mikechi22 likes this.
  12. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Sep 24, 2017

And I like the sweep hand

mikechi22 likes this.
  13. Edward53 Sep 24, 2017

As said above it's a personal thing, but I would go with the 750 which I think is most immediately "accessible" if that makes sense and IMO has the most obvious appeal for a beginner. But I don't think you'd be unhappy with any of these.

justanotherjose and Spruce like this.
  14. Damo Sep 24, 2017

Connie for me, lovely watch and as previously said the service is a bonus :thumbsup:

Spruce likes this.