Forums Latest Members

Anyone use magnifying glasses?

1. SoyuzPilot Jan 5, 2021

I'm thinking I should start using a pair of magnifying glasses when working on my watches - changing batteries and the like - can anyone recommend a brand? There are tons of cheap ones on Amazon which I assume I should avoid. I have seen the Eschenbach brand.

Should I just stick to a big magnifier?
    I'm short sighted and wear glasses perhaps I should look for something that focuses or to wear over the top of my glasses?

Any thoughts very much appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DaveK likes this.
  2. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jan 5, 2021

I bought and returned a pair of glasses over the holidays. The object needed to be 2 inches away to be in focus. I can see fine detail 2 inches away, I also needed room for tools, so it seemed a little silly. I thought of getting that necklace magnifier (your second photo) but it just seemed like terrible ergonomics. I was thinking that a big magnifier glass on a stand might be good, but I am looking forward to what others say.

3. wsfarrell Jan 5, 2021

connieseamaster, SoyuzPilot and Dan S like this.
  4. Dan S Jan 5, 2021

I use these also. 2.5x mag is pretty good for most simple things and has a nice 8" working distance. You can go up to 3.5x mag, but then the working distance is only 4", which is a little awkward. My wife and I find these incredibly useful for many things around the house.

There is no need to wear these over your glasses.

SoyuzPilot and wsfarrell like this.
  5. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Jan 5, 2021

too much information ::bleh::

6. SkunkPrince Jan 5, 2021

For moderately small stuff, I take off my glasses. For really small stuff, I use a loupe. I do have a magnifier ringlight at my "bench" for when I need it.

SoyuzPilot likes this.
  7. SoyuzPilot Jan 6, 2021

Many thanks all for your replies, appreciate that. I'm going to give the Optivisor a go - definitely looks to tick all the boxes.