Forums Latest Members
  1. Gasman Apr 29, 2017

I have just bought my first Speedy and I am considering a manual winding tool to make it easier.
    Could anyone give me any pros and cons from experience and maybe recommend something?
    Thanks

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 29, 2017

Link to an example of one?

3. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Apr 29, 2017

trackpad, aap, Uniqez and 1 other person like this.
  4. Gasman Apr 29, 2017

You still you still need to wind it, it's just supposed to make it easier.

5. alam Apr 29, 2017

bigdubnick, noelekal and Foo2rama like this.
  6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 29, 2017

A tool like that is only going to help if you have issues grasping the crown. FYI new Speedmasters can be tight to wind and will loosen as the gaskets around the crown break in.

R3D9 likes this.
  7. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Apr 29, 2017

I have been using this since I bought my Speedy. The nice thing about this is, it can be used for other jobs too,

linemans-pliers-643.jpg

BrianMcKay and noelekal like this.
  8. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Apr 29, 2017

Best advise for a crown-winder came from PitPro - Use a small wing rubber wire nut.

9. Canuck Apr 29, 2017

Many years ago, Bergeon made a watch winder like the one I have. It operates on 110-volts, 60-cycle. The arbor has a rubber cup extending out, and the crown of the watch is placed into small depression on the tip of the rubber, and the arbor pressed in to start the motor. Not much good for pocket watches. A unit like this would be overkill if you are only winding one watch. Besides, I'll bet you would have difficulty finding one. This one is easily 50 years old, and was used in a watchmaker's shop where he wound a lot of watches!

image.jpeg

10. R3D9 Apr 29, 2017

This has been my experience. Three weeks in and it's much easier to wind the crown than it was in the beginning. At first, I was annoyed by the lack of grip on the crown - I have callous-free, banker hands - but after a few weeks, the crown is not much easier to wind and, in fact, the ritual is one of the best parts of my day ;)

Foo2rama likes this.
  11. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Apr 30, 2017

Im in Training..

I practice on larger objects (that use a similar winding motion) and work my way down im on "Key" it's really hard!

Im going to "make it easier" tho im sure! im sure i will!

upload_2017-4-30_21-15-15.png

12. trackpad Apr 30, 2017

I can only recommend that, unless you suffer a handicap of some kind, you do not buy this or anything like it.

Just enjoy the feeling of winding your watch.

Tritium likes this.
  13. michael22 May 1, 2017

Get an ecodrive.

14. Gasman May 1, 2017

Wow there must be some sad lives out there where winding a watch is the highlight of the day.

15. Tritium May 1, 2017

I love winding my watch every night, and if that means to you that I have a sad live, I love my sad live!

Time to move to another internet place for the OP.
    Most people here have sad lives... ::book::

noelekal, nixf6 and blufinz52 like this.
  16. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. May 1, 2017

Im still working (in my engineers lair) on the "strap-onefier" ... no no NO! not that!... my wife uses a "strap-onerizer" the "straponefier" will solve that age long tricky issue of putting your strap on

Tritium likes this.
  17. Tritium May 1, 2017

Mmm, I see your point :thumbsup:
    Can I suggest developing a "5 watch winder straponefier" (dark matter powered) that you introduce your hand and it automatically selects and fits on your wrist the appropriate watch for the day, based on cosmic karma? :p:p:p

Edited May 1, 2017
  18. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. May 1, 2017

watches and cosmic karma? you need a biostar

For people who want to know if they are having a good day or a bad day, at the beginning of the 20th century the Austrian psychologist Hermann Swoboda and the Berlin doctor Wilhelm Fliess brought the idea of biorhythms into being. The biorhythm is a scientifically unconfirmed theory that claims that one’s life is affected by rhythmic biological cycles and therefore can be calculated. These inherent rhythms are classically composed of three cyclic rhythms: the physical, having a duration of 23 days; the emotional (28 days); and the mental (33 days). The biorhythm became popular in the 1980s, when due to the first programmable calculators and personal computers, it was possible to easily calculate one’s biorhythms oneself.
    In 1965, Certina had brought the Biostar to market. It was the first (and as far as I know the only) wristwatch from which you could read your biorhythm.

The Biostar Electric (which was produced from 1971), an ESA 9154 Dynotron was mounted, which Certina equipped with an additional “Biomechanism” too. This movement had the designation 28-353. This model was presented first in 1971 in Basel at the “MUBA” fair.
    All Biostar models first must be adjusted to the birth date of the owner. For that you have to open the watch and synchronize the cycle discs with the aid of the setting values. If that is exactly what you want to do, here "http://www.vintagecertinas.ch/img/daten/AnleitungBiostar.pdf" are the appropriate instructions.
    The setting values could be requested from the Biorhythmik AG in Basel, Switzerland for example. There you could also request documents about the biorhythm theory and some “Biomaps”. The date of birth could be carved into a field inside the caseback.
    Well, it seems that the idea of the biorhythm did not last, and in the middle of the 1970s, this interesting concept disappeared from the picture.

upload_2017-5-1_13-8-59.png

SAM_0331.jpg SAM_0334.jpg SAM_0337.jpg SAM_0340.jpg SAM_0344.jpg SAM_0349 (1).jpg SAM_0359 (1).jpg SAM_0363 (1).jpg SAM_0376 (1).jpg SAM_0381.jpg SAM_0383.jpg
    sherpastar and Longbow like this.
  19. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches May 1, 2017

No one has posted to this thread that winding a watch is the highlight of their day.

ac106 likes this.
  20. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. May 1, 2017

It is my highlight once a month or so i wind up 100s of watches takes about two hours and then they all tick away like crazy bloody love it its like my little mechanical insect room

trackpad likes this.