Forums Latest Members
  1. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Oct 10, 2015

I'm thinking about posting my buddy's diamond-studded quartz Piaget on Chrono24 as a private seller.

It appears they charge $99 upfront until it sells for watches sold for $3300+ (i.e., 3% w/ max $99), which is much less than on eBay for high value ones. I've used eBay before (non-watches), but their fees are out-of-control :eek:! I'll go there as a last resort...

My concerns:

1. C24 might be somewhat less market exposure than the 'bay; although upside is it's all watches!

2. I can't seem to tell if the buyer pays the seller directly, or through Chrono24...

Any experiences related are appreciated!

Note: I've tried selling the watch here, but it's not the type of watch that seems to spur any interest among true horolophiles (too much '*bling*'!) like us!

Edited Oct 11, 2015
  2. abrod520 Oct 10, 2015

You could try WatchUSeek or Timezone, they tend to cater to all tastes. I recently sold a newer TAG Heuer on WUS and it seemed OK; I've snagged a gorgeous old Omega from each place too.

3. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Oct 10, 2015

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot! I've sold a few, maybe three dozen on WUS, but not for about a year!

I'm not sure it opens up much extra market,... although an ad there would be easy enough to do...

Edited Oct 10, 2015
  4. abrod520 Oct 10, 2015

In these days of watchrecon and mywatchmart, I'm not sure it matters a whole lot, but it's worth a try :)

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 10, 2015

Try your local jewler on consignment. You basically have to get your watch in front of a female audience. All of the watch sites are dude fest,s mainly.....

George.A and dougiedude like this.
  6. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Oct 10, 2015

Any idea what percentage they take?

I would imagine it's at least eBay rates.

7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 10, 2015

You would have to talk turkey with whoever over that Doug maybe 10%, but mainly the audience would change. For a jewellery shop to have a big ticket price item even though they don't sell Piaget would be good for buisness. (Family more than major chain)

dougiedude likes this.
  8. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Oct 10, 2015

That's not too bad an idea, I suppose. I could still be advertising on watch fora while it's also available locally... this is a watch that belongs to a friend who lives a long way out of town (and market), who has entrusted me with the sale...

9. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Oct 11, 2015

Crown & Caliber may be one to try as well, and an eBay posting with a fixed price and accept offers.

I'm afraid that is a watch that may take a long time to sell and still not fetch what your friend may want out of it. :(

dougiedude likes this.
  10. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Oct 11, 2015

This might be the best idea. I suppose eBay still takes a good 'chunk', maybe 3% not counting PP?

Thanks for all the ideas!

11. WatchVaultNYC Oct 11, 2015

I'm on Chrono24, Ebay, Watchuseek, etc selling dozens of Omega watches.

If you want it to sell quickly, go on Ebay but expect lower prices, and a hefty commission.
    If you want the highest prices, go to Chrono24, but be prepared to wait forever. On Chrono24, people by default use Trusted Checkout, which is a bank transfer payment method. US buyers hate that and will ask you to accept Paypal.
    Watchuseek is probably the safest bet. But WUS has new posting rules for sales which may limit your ability to sell if you're only starting out as a member.

Practice safe selling!
    - wire is safest payment method, but you may have to accept Paypal. Never accept checks
    - F2F only if paid by cash, otherwise you must ship with signature confirmation and insurance (this is for your protection)
    - take pictures of what you're selling along with the shipping label for future reference if there's an issue
    - if someone scams you, report to the IC3 (FBI Internet Crime Compaint Center) . Paypal will refund you if you have an IC3 complaint.

12. abrod520 Oct 11, 2015

I was just about to suggest Crown & Caliber but someone else beat me to it. It's consignment so you'd still pay a fee. If you have a long-standing account with many sales on WUS you should be fine though, just be prepared for a few tire-kickers :)

dougiedude and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  13. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Oct 11, 2015

Yes, willing to wait, that's why I thought it might be worth trying...
    I have it posted there (day 1), as well as here (a month now), so we'll see how things go...:whistling:

I may try Chrono24 if still no 'nibbles'...;)

... @abrod520 : yes, I've sold aplenty on WUS, so I know about them 'tire-kickers'::rant:! I appreciate your help..

14. saturn1981 Oct 11, 2015

Yes, but very few reply's to your questions. So i give it a thumbs down:thumbsdown:

dougiedude likes this.
  15. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Oct 11, 2015

That is true.

I am still left wondering how involved Chrono24 is in the actual 'transaction'.
    I'm thinking since it's a 'pay in advance' for the ad, that the buyer's payment goes straight into my account, but that's what I'm wondering about. I'm not about to give my bank account info to 'Chrono24'.... then, like Saturn said, there's the PP option...

16. WatchVaultNYC Oct 11, 2015

If you go by Trusted Checkout, it works like an escrow. You get your money after buyer receives the watch and there are no complaints.

That said, what difference is there with giving your bank account to Chrono24? You almost certainly already gave your bank account to Paypal.

17. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Oct 11, 2015

No charge for that escrow service? If not, this sounds like a great option.
    True. Of course I trust PayPal because they've had my info for 12+ years and no problems, but if you say Chrono24 is trusted, then that's what I wanted to hear, thanks!

18. WatchVaultNYC Oct 11, 2015

With Trusted Checkout, buyer is charged the fee, which apparently is the way they do things in Europe.

Be prepared to take Paypal if the buyer is in the USA (almost certain this will happen). If so, you do not go through Chrono24's Trusted Checkout system and sale is directly between you and buyer much like any Paypal person-to-person transaction

19. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Oct 11, 2015

... and I would assume that fee is in addition to their $99 listing fee?

(funny how their site makes it very hard to see the 'full cost' information :cautious:)

20. WatchVaultNYC Oct 11, 2015

Yes, but it never gets applied to the payment the buyer sends you. You get the selling price in full

dougiedude likes this.