Forums Latest Members

Anyone suffer from Gout? - seeking tips

1. Rolycoaster Oct 31, 2018

I'm well into the second week of a gout attack, in my wrist. Pain killers aren't doing much, any fellow sufferers have any tricks or tips?

2. M'Bob Oct 31, 2018

On Colchicine? I'm assuming you had blood work done to confirm, as the wrist is not a common site for gout.

3. Stufflers Mom Oct 31, 2018

Can't really help, but my wife has it. We found out that it was beetroot that set if off for her and the pain in her foot was excruciating. If it is gout then you need to find out what it is that you are eating/drinking that you can't process and cut it out.

4. Professor Oct 31, 2018

Obviously wrist watch related. Send all your watches to me and I'll keep them safely away from you as you go through withdrawal.

5. Rolycoaster Oct 31, 2018

I took colchicine as usual at first sign, which usually stops it, but not this time. Also I have no more and although i have a prescription there appears to be none in the country (it's small).

6. Rolycoaster Oct 31, 2018

Not beetroot for me, thankfully as I love it. I believe it's dehydration.

7. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Oct 31, 2018

Colchicine Is one of the original gout medications that my Dad used with little or no success.
    I too suffer from gout and a lot of my original issues came from what I eat and drank - everything ::facepalm2::

In today's day and age you should be taking Allopurinol as a daily med. In case of an attack do you and your wife a favor and ask your doctor for a script of Prednisone. It's an oral steroid that's taken daily over a 7 day period with decreasing doses. It will actually stop an attack within an hour or so after the first dose. It really works :)

Edited Oct 31, 2018
    Bugbait and Rolycoaster like this.
  8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 31, 2018

Well yes I understand this fellow.
    [​IMG]

9. Chye Oct 31, 2018

OUCH!
    If you are already in the middle of an attack, other than resting your foot and taking your regulars meds (colchicine, arcoxia etc) to numb the pain, drinks lots lots lots and lots of water. I find it helps to expedite the recovery process.
    After that it's all about moderating your diet. If you just finished 1/2 a cow last evening washed down with barrel of beer, probably not a good idea to go next day for that all you can eat churrascaria. It helps to identify your Kryptonite. I triggered my 1st attack trying to be healthy having wheat germ, bran, oatmeal etc for breakfast for 2 weeks . Now I take black cherry pills diligently everyday and I find it helps to minimise the attacks.
    Hope you recover soon!

Rolycoaster likes this.
  10. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Oct 31, 2018

Don't forget the Foie Gras Pate and a big plate full of Stone Crabs with a couple of beers and a bottle of wine to chase it all down ;)

11. time flies Oct 31, 2018

The single biggest thing that helps me is water. A lot of water. I drink my weight in ounces s day and then more... but not too much more. (An amount equal to what I might drink with meals, if I drank water with meals). Maybe that's the problem....all the best.

have fun
    kfw

Rolycoaster and MikiJ like this.
  12. marco Oct 31, 2018

I don't really know if its related but years ago I had very bad pain in my arm/elbo area. I happened to be talking to a client who was a chemist and he asked if I had ben eating spring onions, yes. No more spring onions and pain subsided.

13. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 31, 2018

My dad has been getting attacks in a foot a couple times a year, but had one hit the joint at the base of his thumb about 10 weeks ago. There is still some swelling/ redness, but at least the pain has been gone for the last month. He has struggled with finding the main causes, but suffice it to say most of what he has been eating the last few years is all on the 'do not eat' list. Things you *think* would be good -- like leafy greens -- are actually bad. So is pretty much all meat, shellfish and a lot of fish. That doesn't exactly leave one with much to pick from. He is on blood pressure medicine, which likely contributes. He doesn't drink much water unfortunately; mainly coffee in the morning and some hot tea later in the day. At 76, he is not really willing to change his lifestyle.

Best thing you can do is take the meds the doc recommends, drink a bit of water, and try to focus on eating the 'good stuff'. Things like bananas and pineapple are good for you, and go a long way towards making a nice breakfast.

Rolycoaster likes this.
  14. verithingeoff Oct 31, 2018

I get gout in my left big toe about once a year, maybe less. I take 2 Colchicine tablets straight away and one, one hour later. This always fixes it. The doc also gave me Prednisolone if the first stuff doesn't work. Never had to use the backup[​IMG]

15. Lovewatches2 Oct 31, 2018

For arthritis "Australian Dream" always works like magic! You may want to try it tho. Avoid eating nuts & beans, I heard broccoli is a big no-no too!
    Hope you get better.

16. verithingeoff Nov 1, 2018

That's the best news all week[​IMG]

17. Bumper Nov 1, 2018

Personally, spirits do it for me, but everyone is different, i have a friend who sniffs a duck & gets gout.

Do not eat list
    Nuts, beans, multi-grain crap, oatmeal, game, offal, duck, goose, anchovies, salmon, tuna, essences & reductions, (Pretty much all the dark meat) cauliflower, asparagus, lettuce, sprouts, mushrooms, spinach, soy products, beer, wine, spirits, strawberries, chiku, durian...

Try not to eat
    coffee, tea (diuretics), red meat

Water, colchicine, prednisolone, if its bad, see a doctor & get a shot of steroids.

18. Vagante Nov 1, 2018

I've had gout for 30 years. Never chose to on go on the full-time allopurinol for fear of liver damage. I have ups and downs but it is always related to seafood or beef diets along with beer and alcohol. The best med that I have received is indomethacin which is basically indocin. For me it knocks it out in about a day and a half . It makes me groggy but that's about the only side effect . I would make sure that you do in fact have gout. Blood test will reveal too much uric acid in your bloodstream. One rare item that can show up with symptoms of gout in other parts of your body is calcium build-ups. I had that and it took 20 years for someone to determine that it was a bad parathyroid. I had it removed and my life is much improved in many ways. The test that they give for a bad parathyroid is more than just a high calcium level in your blood stream. Sometimes the test don't show it. My girlfriend had the same symptoms as I did and her doctor said she tested negative. I sent her to the Norman parathyroid center in Tampa and they did a different series of tests and made the determination that she had in fact a bad parathyroid. It was removed in her life is now much better. You can do a Google search online for the Norman parathyroid Center and they have great videos explaining parathyroid disease. The symptoms of gout can be many things other than gout particularly if it's not in your big toe.

19. duc Feb 22, 2023

Resurrecting this because I had a bout of what might be gout. This article provides some easy to follow advice, which in some cases runs counter to what some of the advice above states. Good luck.

I'm not sure what my situation is, but I generally don't drink enough water and eat too much meat and shell fish. Those behaviors are are on the no-no list, so maybe I'll start there.

Gout diet: What's allowed, what's not - Mayo Clinic

20. Bugbait Feb 22, 2023

I wasn't interested in changing my diet since I love food so much. I've been on Allopurinol for decades and I've only had the very rare acute attack of gout when I've forgotten to take it for a several days. My diet has remained rich in high purine foods for now but I'll revisit if I ever have to increase my Allopurinol dosage :)