Forums Latest Members

Anyone purchased a Code41 watch before?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JetLinks Jan 27, 2021

I've seen this brand pop up and they seem to have some pretty cool looking watches, especially the latest chronograph that was released for sale today, named the NB24, which has the oscillating weight on the front face.

https://code41watches.com/projects/nb24/

Has anyone purchased one of their previous models and if so, how do you like it?

Code41 Chronograph.jpg

Code41 NB24.jpg

whooh and Amg786s like this.
  2. DSotW Jan 27, 2021

I can't say I'm a fan of the brand. They went from bashing "Swiss Made" and proclaiming themselves as "disruptors" of the Swiss watch industry who were going to expose Swiss Made for the farce that it was, to now embracing "Swiss Made" to add authenticity to the movement in this watch? Ok, yeah, so the cheap Asian made watch approach didn't work, so now they are selling this for CHF 3'895 (+/- USD 4'400)... I'm sure some people will like it, but personally it's a case of thanks, but no thanks.

3. MyNameIsNigel Jan 28, 2021

BS ALERT FLAG. red-flag-warning.jpg

CODE41 can be taken very seriously and there is no doubt in my mind that the NB24 will be a success much like the previous two projects, the DAY41 and the truly superb X41. It is not too late to preorder the NB24. I did that myself yesterday and am lucky to be part of the first five hundred people that managed to get one.

The NB24 movement is in essence based on a Valjoux 7750 architecture with specific modifications, including this very interesting peripheral oscillating weight (like the X41) but visible on the front face this time. An interesting feature that is neatly integrated.

For this NB24 project, CODE41 have partnered with Concepto in Switzerland to design and produce this beautiful movement exclusively for CODE41. Assembly is performed entirely by hand in Switzerland.

CODE41 are fully transparent on the origin of the components, hence the TTO ("Total Transparency on Origin") marking. They intentionally do not make use of the "Swiss Made" marking which they consider to be misleading (and rightly so). In effect, the NB24 Chronograph would clearly qualify as being "Swiss Made" although the case, dial and strap are not of Swiss origin. CODE41 should not be blamed for being fully transparent and honest in that respect.

EDIT: At this hour 701 pieces have already been preordered (there are currently 199 remaining pieces out of the second batch of 500 pieces), i.e. approx. 3,2 million CHF (3,6 million USD) of preorders. Not a bad start.

Edited Jan 29, 2021
  4. Trev The Architect Staff Member Feb 16, 2021

And are you associated with CODE41 or Concepto? What is your relation to these companies? Some transparency would be nice.

That's quite the first post.

josiahg52, Socks, apsm100 and 14 others like this.
  5. Woops Feb 16, 2021

Good day Mr Bailly, nice of you to stop by. I hereby claim my $10 book token and free Code41 watch.

On second thoughts, you can keep the watch.

D86CC6FA-E389-4170-87A6-C00233FFC76C.jpeg

6. MyNameIsNigel Feb 16, 2021

LOL. I am not in any way connected to CODE41, Concepto Watch Factory or Nigel Bailly :D

I just happen to be a recent fan of this brand and preordered one NB24.

And, for the sake of total transparency, my nickname is simply a reference to Nigel Mansell who I happened to be a fan as well when I was a kid and still followed F1 back in the 80s/90s. I am too old anyway to race at the 24h of Le Mans ;)

And honestly, you do not need to be connected to CODE41, their partners or ambassadors to love what they are doing ;)

7. DSotW Feb 17, 2021

What are the odds of someone:

1. Signing-up to a forum dedicated to Omega watches (where an Admin has to approve the sign-up)

2. Specifically to post their first post (not creating an intro) as a response to a thread about a watch brand that is one other than the one the forum is dedicated to (Code 41)

3. And that first and only post is signing the praises of the brand

3. After someone (me) left a comment that was less than flattering?

Those odds are less than zero.

That is, unless it's part of a marketing campaign. As someone who works in Digital Marketing, I can tell you this wreaks of "forum infiltration", a well known technique to spread brand awareness, get "traction" and influence public opinion about a Brand. Google Alerts is a great way to track who is talking about your Brand on the internet as it sends you an email any time it spyders a site and finds a particular search term defined by the user.

Edited Feb 17, 2021
    Hnansen, S.H., yvrclimber and 3 others like this.
  8. vintage hab Feb 17, 2021

I looked at several of their models about a year ago (and continue to get their Google ads :mad:). They look cool initially, but I wonder how they will age, i.e. if I would continue to like the look. But ultimately the price is too high and I don't believe, given they're a niche brand, that their value will hold. I don't buy watches as an investment, but I do like to switch things up, so that's a consideration. For the money, you can get an Omega or other luxury brand.

JetLinks likes this.
  9. VickMacky Feb 17, 2021

Looks like something that would be on the counter of my local gas station ::puke::::shy::

Waltesefalcon, Braindrain and DSotW like this.
  10. MyNameIsNigel Feb 17, 2021

Then I am bad at this I guess :D

I was simply giving my honest subjective and possibly passionate opinion about the brand and this particular chronograph in response to the original post in this thread, which happens to be part of the "Open discussion" thread.

I do not mind people criticizing this particular brand or any other brand as matter of fact. I own Omega, Tag Heuer, Tissot, Longines, Oris and Alpina watches and have quite an eclectic taste for watches myself. Adding the NB24 to my collection will only make this collection even more diverse and disparate.

Gav1967 likes this.
  11. cvalue13 Feb 17, 2021

Can’t unsee

A rather heavy-handed wack at it they took, if so; the only thing more strange would be an uninterested “fan” coming up with that copy

Waltesefalcon and DSotW like this.
  12. High Hope Feb 17, 2021

Well this is interesting. Would the real Nigel stand up please? :rolleyes:

MyNameIsNigel and DSotW like this.
  13. Transitus Feb 17, 2021

Hideous looking things. The design and marketing - hipsters trying too hard.

DSotW likes this.
  14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 17, 2021

Interesting cost structure...

Code41.jpg

15. wouter van wijk Feb 17, 2021

the name reminds me of the ap thing. some day that will be a collectible piece btw since nobody wants it. code41 next please

16. Transitus Feb 17, 2021

Are you referring to the fact that they don't seem to be able to add up?

17. DSotW Feb 17, 2021

:D:D:D:D

18. DSotW Feb 17, 2021

So, CHF 2'000 profit on each watch... Not bad...

Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 16.52.41.png
  19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 17, 2021

Well, that is a thing, but that really wasn't my point.

Bulk of the cost is the outsourced movement. But I am somewhat surprised at the remainder of the costs...in particular the Swiss costs being as low as they are, given the wages in Switzerland.

Assembly costs of $43 per watch? I am assuming this would include mounting of the dial, hands, casing, and final regulation. That is extremely cheap for that work...

20. Bugbait Feb 17, 2021

The problem I have with most niche/micro watch brands is confidence in their long term support and service. When you're spending under £1000 then it's probably less of a concern. When it's over that, or many multiples of it then it's certainly a big factor, for me anyway. I'm not sure how much the movement deviates from the original Valjoux 7750 it's based on but I'm guessing it could be significant. How many watchmakers can service these with access to parts? Do I have to ship it back to them for a service?

Part of any premium I'm willing to pay for a luxury watch factors in the confidence in long term support and service (i.e. replacement parts) from the manufacturer.

DSotW and sleepyastronaut like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.