Forums Latest Members

Anyone know where I can source a two-tone ratchet wheel?

1. rshroff Mar 10, 2014

Dear Respectable Members

I am looking for a ratchet wheel, specifically a two-tone one shown in the photo below. Would anyone know where I can source one just like this?

Omega_two-tone_Ratchet_wheel.jpg
  2. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Mar 10, 2014

You mean a two tone rachet wheel for a 333? I may have one for the 30T2Rg but not so sure if it is the same as the 333.

3. ulackfocus Mar 10, 2014

You mean a dual finish - brushed on the outside and polished in the center.

4. woodwkr2 Mar 10, 2014

You could try a material house. See if you can look up the best fit or omega part number in the Cousins database. Then you can ask your local material house if they have it in stock. They're not going to know whether it's 'dual finish' unless you call someone and ask them to specifically check that--better pick a slow time.

GL

5. rshroff Mar 10, 2014

Thank you very much, will try Cousins.

6. rshroff Mar 10, 2014

Yes, a two tone ratchet wheel (i.e., brushed on outside, polished in centre) for cal. 333. I would imagine this is the same for a cal. 352 but not sure for a 30T2Rg. Would anyone know?

7. rshroff Mar 10, 2014

Anyone know if the ratchet wheel on a 30T2Rg is the same for a Calibre 352 or 333?

30SCT2RG.jpg Omega_two-tone_Ratchet_wheel.jpg
  8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 11, 2014

The screw opening appears bigger proportionately on the 333

9. woodwkr2 Mar 11, 2014

You'll waste hours doing it this way guys. You gotta go back to the technical documents and parts interchange sheets that watchmakers and material houses typically have.

Again, start with the tech docs at Cousins. If that doesn't give you the answer, pick up a Best Fit Parts book (old, plentiful on the bay) or subscribe to the Best Fit parts internet database service.

All the material houses (generally) use a consistent inventory and ordering scheme with their spare parts. You have to learn this system if you want to order spare parts efficiently. That's also why many material houses come off as snooty--they simply won't deal with hobby collectors who could waste an hour of their time hunting down a $17 part.

If you're not willing to make that investment, then take it to a watchmaker or buy a complete parts movement on the bay.

You could also join the AWCI and hang around their watchmaking forums. Seems like there's a lot of kindly oldtimers there who likely have access to the technical docs and have the time to help you out.

Archer likes this.
  10. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Mar 11, 2014

Is there a dislike button somewhere Mods?

11. woodwkr2 Mar 11, 2014

What, truth hurts?

12. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Mar 11, 2014

Nope. Only because you sound like a watch fixing machine, not collectors and hobbyists.

You should also know that it's impossible to find that part anywhere but here and that's the reason the OP started this thread.

13. woodwkr2 Mar 11, 2014

Well if being knowledgeable and trying to be helpful to the OP with--count 'em--six different suggestions for finding his spare part qualifies me as a 'watch fixing machine,' then I'll wear that badge with pride.

Omega calibres were (well) produced in large numbers. It's not impossible to find that part, and the most likely source for a spare part is a parts store.

So more power to the OP for asking, and I'll keep trying to helpfully point folks in the right direction.

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 11, 2014

You are correct if course - the way to determine if parts from one movement will interchange with another is to look at the tech guides. It's not complicated.

And no the ratchet wheel for the 30T2 is not the same as the 333...and the ratchet wheel for the 333 is discontinued from Omega. The OP will either need to find a NOS wheel sitting in someone's shop, or find a donor movement. Finding it "here" may not be the best option unless someone has one they are willing to give up, but looking on eBay is.

And you are bang on about the material houses. This is why places like Jules Borel won't deal with you unless you are a watchmaker or have a business license. Most hobbyists don't know how to order parts properly, so it takes a lot of time and effort for these places to figure out what it is they actually want, and it's not worth it for small, infrequent sales. These places rely on repeat customers who order in quantity.

If you have ever been in one of these places they are swamped with requests and the people are buried taking orders and looking for parts in a huge warehouse full of tiny bits. They all usually have piles of unsorted inventory as well (from buying out watchmaker estates, or other smaller material suppliers going out of business), but you have to convince them to look there for what you need - they aren't likely to do that for a customer that calls once or twice per year.

Passion is great, but business is business.

Cheers, Al

15. woodwkr2 Mar 11, 2014

:rolleyes: Be sure to reward our 'locals' with your business, folks. Pro bono expertise on tap makes this a jewel of a community.

16. rshroff Mar 11, 2014

Many thanks for your advice. According to the technical documents for cal. 352, I need part number 1100, base calibre 331. As you can see in the photo below it is two tone.
    ome352parts1.jpg

17. woodwkr2 Mar 11, 2014

And you're well on your way. Nice work. Combine that with this:
    Screen Shot 2014-03-11 at 11.04.45 PM.png

18. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Mar 11, 2014

Incorrect reference though- 333 is 30mm in size and not 28.1 and the ratchet wheel among other things is incorrect as illustrated.

19. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 11, 2014

CousinsUK shows this part as avaliable:

Price is reasonable, given the rarity of the part.​
    Good luck!​
    gatorcpa​

20. woodwkr2 Mar 11, 2014

Ideally, you could look up some of the other movements in the family or consult a parts interchange list to ensure that they share the same rachet wheel with the 331 base calibre. To be safest, you're looking for parts from a 331 or 352. But based on your info and some knowledge about the family and the evolution of the movement you can make some reasonable assumptions. Because the rachet wheel is a common component of the base movement you can likely expand your search to also include 330-333, 340-344, and 350-355.

You have the Omega parts number. You could also look this up in a Best Fit catalog or database and find the Best Fit parts number. Most material houses organize their spares according to this number. As an example, if you could specify OME 333 part # 414/459 Ratchet Wheel. That's the Omega abbreviation, the calibre, the best fit part number and the standardized name for the part.

I checked Borel for you. They don't have any.