Forums Latest Members

Anyone know anything about the Stienhart/

1. kostas123 May 14, 2016

I thinking about buying one, I want to know how long the lume will last, if it will last till dawn? also I heard the bracelet
    scratches easy and the sopar movement is not that reliable and is not internally regulated. My other option is to get a seiko shogun. any thoughts ?

2. Mr Bing May 14, 2016

Forget the Steinhart, it's a Rolex/Tudor wannabe made with cheap materials and poor finishing. The only thing attractive about it is the price.

The Seiko is a much better proposition imho.

leetse2, Fritz and Foo2rama like this.
  3. Canuck May 14, 2016

+1. Their ads are full of hype, calculated to make you think their stuff is as good as or superior to Rolex, Omega, etc. I haven't seen one in a while (I refuse to work on them), but it wouldn't surprise me if it is Chinese! Save your money for the real thing!

4. kostas123 May 14, 2016

i guess you guys are right ill get a seiko shogun to start, it's a solid piece. I only liked the stienhart for the cool illuminated bezel and color of lume, are all of stienhart's watches trash the ocean 2 premium looks nice and it is not a homage of anything.

5. melsman May 14, 2016

Actually, I have one, the OVM first version. I am very happy with it. The lume is amazing, lasts all night, and it keeps just as good, if not better time than my Speedy with it's 1861 movement. ( I have the Last Man on the Moon edition)
    As far as the finish, I do have to say, it is not cheap, it is finished off very nicely, and the only marks I have on it from 2 years of off and on wear are from desk diving. It has no problem with water, I have worn it spearfishing many times, with never any water issues.
    I admit it is a homage, but you tell me how many people have the money to buy the watch it is built in homage to.

wsfarrell likes this.
  6. Andreas May 15, 2016

Forget the steinhart. i never understood how they are getting away with what they are doing.
    Go for a Seiko! Personally i am not a big fan of the hour hand of the shogun. At that price i would go for a used MM300 (sbdx017 or sbdx001) or for a lot less get a new sumo.

7. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 15, 2016

+1 on the Sumo. The blue Sumo SBDC003 (Blumo) is one my favorite watches that I no longer own. [​IMG]

8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 15, 2016

Foo2rama and Mouse_at_Large like this.
  9. Steve9pm Strangely obsessed with cheap manual wind watches. May 15, 2016

You might very well be right, but it's awfully suspicious for you to join just to make this post.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 15, 2016

What model are you looking at? In my experience, they are well made watches for the price.

I have read on the forums that they have been having some issues with the Soprod movements recently, but any ETA based Steinhart/Debaufre I have had in the shop has performed well above the standards set by the movement maker after I was done with it.

I find it funny that some have said their ads are full of hype - pretty much every major watch brand on the planet has ads full of hype. Does anyone really believe it takes a year to make a Rolex?

Seiko can be a good choice if you like the style, but there are plenty of other reasonably priced brands out there. Take some time, do some research, ask questions here...

Oh and Seiko has made plenty of Rolex look alike watches (mainly like the DJ) over the years too.

Cheers, Al

11. melsman May 15, 2016

Just because my first post happens to be here, does not mean that is why I joined. You immediately making that assumption and trying to call me out on that is one of the reasons I don't join many forums. My understanding is that these forums are a place to share your experiences, thoughts, and love of watches. So when I see something like this, where someone has an opinion and is criticized for sharing it, once again makes me wonder why I bother. I just happened to come across this forum, and as I was looking around I found this thread. I thought to myself, hey, someone is asking about a watch that I own, and have experience with, I will share.
    I thank you for making this new member feel welcome

12. Canuck May 15, 2016

I received a similar upbraiding over one of my earliest posts to this message board! I was pretty angry at the time, but I have stuck around. You mentioned that you normally avoid participating in message boards. Well, I have to say this- I have been banned for life from the RMB for expressing an opinion! I called a guy out for an absolutely stupid comment he made, and found out in short order that there is no such thing as putting an errant poster on moderation for a post! Just ban him for life! People pretty much say what they think on the Omega message board. On some boards, your post in defence of the Steinhart which was honest and well meant, but counter (seemingly) to much popular opinion, and might get you banned from these boards. You weren't banned here! People say what they think on this MB, and if you are not able to give as good as you get, then maybe this MB isn't for you, either! But stick around. Speaking personally, once you find out how it works, this is a good MB!

13. Davudvl May 15, 2016

[​IMG] I am a big seiko fan and have many many seikos. That being said I had about three steinharts and they are very well made watches with honest pricing. I still have Ocean One Vintage. They have all kept good time, lume was great, and were reliable. In the end buy what you like because you are the one who is going to wearing the watch.

kostas123 likes this.
  14. melsman May 15, 2016

Seriously??? Banned for expressing an opinion? Isn't that what everyone is doing, expressing their opinions? If I was to be banned for that, I would just laugh, I thought I was done with all of that when I finished elementary school many many years ago. If some small minded person feels they need to do that, because I expressed my opinion, so be it.

15. kostas123 May 15, 2016

the model I like was the ocean one titanium 500

16. Canuck May 15, 2016

Yes! BANNED for expressing an opinion! But that was the RMB! Opinions freely posted here, however. But, was there ever a MB anywhere, where a somewhat thick skin was not an asset? Just because there was a negative comment following your post, consider! You offered an opinion. You got ONE negative reply! ONE! And that was NOT from a moderator. The role of the moderators on SOME message boards is to be IMMODERATE! Don't sweat the small stuff!

17. Mr Bing May 15, 2016

@Canuck I agree wholeheartedly with your comments. My first post here was asking advice on a deployment clasp for my Aqua Terra. I was shot down in flames for getting the wording wrong.

Yes, you need thick skin on occasion but I've leaned quickly that this is the way it works here....you get honesty without the bullshit. If you take offence at that then maybe you're in the wrong place.

18. dlg May 17, 2016

I had a Steinhart Ocean One Black Ceramic model. Upon first impression, I was in love. The feel of it is solid (and not light). It kept very good time, and I liked the feel of the crown a lot.

What ultimately drove me to sell it was the fact that everytime I put it on, I couldn't help wish it was an actual Submariner. But it wasn't. It was just a really good copy of one (homage...)

After those thoughts, I knew it was not the right watch for me.

Maybe different for you, but it is a solid and quality wristwatch.

19. Traveler May 17, 2016

+1.... Had exactly the same one ... Ultimately it pushed me to buy my first Submariner

dlg likes this.