Forums Latest Members

Anyone in Massachusetts or Connecticut? Help with crystal replacement

1. teenagediplomat Apr 23, 2015

I live in Western Massachusetts roughly 45 minutes from Hartford or 90 minutes from Boston. I'm looking to have the crystal on my '69 transitional replaced. Ideally, I'd like to bring it somewhere and wait while the work is being done. I don't know if that's a pipe dream or not.. I don't think going to the AD in Natick would be of any help with a vintage piece, maybe I'm wrong about that.. Can anyone recommend somewhere that can do such service? The only place locally I've been to is Hannoush jewelers and they removed a link on a mesh bracelet for me, not as anxiety inducing as taking a watch apart to swap a crystal.. thanks!

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 23, 2015

A '69 transitional being a Cal 861 is remarkably similar to the current model Speedmaster Pro and a crystal swap isn't complicated so the AD should be fine.

teenagediplomat likes this.
  3. teenagediplomat Apr 23, 2015

@dsio you wouldn't happen to know the approximate cost of such service off hand would you? and if I brought a crystal in would they allow that or demand that I use a new one purchased from them (the AD)

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 23, 2015

Can't really say, depends on the AD and depends on their practices, my watchmaker would typically pop a crystal in for me as a freebie but then he knows I'm a long term investment. At a busy high volume shop they might not do small jobs like that at all.

5. teenagediplomat May 20, 2015

@dsio the boutique in massachusetts suggested "polywatch" after saying that they don't do any service in house, they ship everything to either Seattle or Bienne

6. guelerct May 20, 2015

CT Timekeepers in Stratford can handle it
    It's up near Bridgeport but they know exactly what they are doing

7. lenny May 20, 2015

If it's just scratched, why not order some polywatch off eBay and do it yourself? It's really easy.

8. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer May 20, 2015

Post a pic and we can tell you if polywatch will work.

9. teenagediplomat May 21, 2015

i did order some polywatch from amazon. seems there's a couple issues. 1.) there's a "dent" which can't be rubbed out. 2.) there's a pair of swirl's that are very deep, my guess from something coarse like sandpaper, that didn't rub off with the polywatch. 3.) the edges are scuffed and i'm cautious about not removing the bezel insert enamel. wonder if i rubbed for long enough, the omega sign would come off.. (joking)

10. lenny May 21, 2015

I think you will be surprised by the difference polywatch it will make.

Ps. Is your avatar a scene from return of the living dead?

Giff2577 and travisrock like this.
  11. teenagediplomat May 21, 2015

@lenny I'll take some pictures with a flashlight on the crystal showing the scratches that polywatch can't handle, and yes it's Frank!

Giff2577 and lenny like this.
  12. teenagediplomat May 22, 2015

photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG

top picture shows the "true detective" inspired swirl scratch over the minutes subdial, and other scuff marks that didn't come clean with polywatch. bottom pic points to the "dent" which is better viewed without bright light on it, looks almost like someone pressed really hard with a fingernail and sliced it just enough to notice and drive me nuts

13. lenny May 22, 2015

I believe just about all of that will be smoothed out by polywatch.

14. teenagediplomat May 22, 2015

I did 3 "sessions" of 2 minutes, ive got the tube so i dont see any harm with doing more, unless thats harmful..

15. lenny May 22, 2015

The mistake I made initially was pressing the clothe down too gently. You need to press down fairly hard as you go. Also, do at least 5 minutes.

teenagediplomat likes this.
  16. Hijak May 22, 2015

Some of those look like cracks or crazing in the plexi. Polywatch isn't going to help if that's true...time for new crystal.

17. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 22, 2015

I would only let a professional touch it.

In most cases, it is advisable to tape over the bezel before using any abrasives on the crystal. However, with a bezel this fragile and valuable, the only safe thing to do is remove it before starting work. Unless you really know what you are doing, you could wind up damaging the bezel.

For the $50 or so an new OEM Omega crystal would cost, I'm not sure it's worth the risk.
    gatorcpa

18. Ferik May 23, 2015

Take it to the Omega boutique, our favorite tech there will know what to do

19. guelerct May 29, 2015

The tech at the Omega boutique recommended Novus polish over Polywatch
    Amazon has a three step Novus Polish system. Might be worth a try.

20. Ferik May 29, 2015

Is there a good watch repair guy in Boston, btw?